Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

35 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

I would be keen to understand how you draw that conclusion - not being antagonistic but I fail to see how anyone could draw that conclusion?

Puel can make develop the numerous young talents of the club and fire the best of the players as Vardy and Iborra.
Concerns is not Puel but the lightness of the team. Nevertheless love which I have for the "former", Morgan and Simpson for example have no more their holder's places if the club wants to aim at Europe.

Later it is only my opinion and saddened for my English

10 minutes ago, tiredclimb said:

Do you think we would be in a better position now if we had stuck with him?

(I know you've not quoted/asked me)

I honestly think we'd be in a similar/slightly worse (For what I have admitted, he's out of his depth and not a manager) worse position - Worse but not much worse off is what i'm saying.

He needed to go quite simply but Puel isn't and wasn't the right man to replace him.

• Thanks 1

I've just had a re-read of this. It was written in December after we beat Southampton....

"It has come as no surprise to those who closely observed his work in France, where he built his reputation on expertly utilising the players available to him, reaching the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2010 with a Lyon side that was pleasing on the eye - a run which included victory at Liverpool in the group stage and eliminating Real Madrid in the last 16 - winning Ligue 1 with Monaco and taking Lille into Europe's elite tournament twice.

Lille beat AC Milan 2-0 at the San Siro to reach the last 16 of the Champions League in 2006-07. He also took Nice into the top four on two occasions playing expansive attacking football.

Journalist Philippe Auclair told BBC Sport Southampton's decision to dispose of Puel after one season was regarded as "ludicrous" in France.

He said: "I did not understand how Southampton could do away with him like that - unless they always saw him as a 'ferryman' who'd take them safely to the other side of the river, and then bye-bye.

"The idea he promotes 'negative' football is utter rubbish. He's a pragmatist, which is not the same thing at all. He inherited a Southampton side which wasn't exactly as packed with talent as under Mauricio Pochettino and Ronald Koeman. He saw his job to maximise the material at his disposal. He did that - and then some."

And that so-called "dull" reputation?

"He's not the most demonstrative of characters, almost dour, a Southerner who does not fit any of the stereotypes associated with people who've been born south of the Loire," says Auclair.

"Claude was greatly respected as a player with Monaco and is held in high regard as a manager as well, even if his low-key image hasn't necessarily served him in his coaching career.

"People would not think of him as one of the 'greats' of French management, but, given a chance to reflect, might well come to the conclusion he definitely is one of the better ones. In my opinion, vastly superior to the Laurent Blancs and Didier Deschampses of this world."

He was renowned for giving youth its head in France, as Auclair says: "At Nice, where he had very limited resources, he gave starts to no less than 23 players in four seasons, including 17 academy products.

"Nice - average age 24 - was Ligue 1's youngest team for three consecutive years. At one point, there were more of his players in the French youth sides than from any other club. And he made them play. They were a joy to watch."

Auclair added: "Claude is a typical product of the Monaco/Lyon philosophy. He has no hesitation to put his trust in young players. He's been faithful to this principle throughout the whole of his career, and it is absolutely no surprise whatsoever to see him use Chilwell and, especially, Gray, as he's done."

Here is the BBC article if you want it read it in full.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Matt said:

(I know you've not quoted/asked me)

I honestly think we'd be in a similar/slightly worse (For what I have admitted, he's out of his depth and not a manager) worse position - Worse but not much worse off is what i'm saying.

He needed to go quite simply but Puel isn't and wasn't the right man to replace him.

No problem. It's a forum - it's all about that!

I personally think we would have been in around the relegation zone - maybe 15th-16th. I'm not saying Claude was the best man to replace, just that Shakey should have ever got the job in the first place. Not surprising that he has gone straight back to a supporting role. Front and centre didn't suit him at all.

I just really can't see anyone who is realistically going to come here and actually improve us. 

If we sack him now it’ll no doubt take a few weeks to appoint a replacement. They then need to assess the squad and sign the players to suit their plans. With the World Cup and the window closing early that’s a very tight timescale to do that effectively. 

I agree with this, if we keep chopping and changing we will end up like Sunderland. CP knows what is wrong and is willing to make the big decisions...we have seen this with him dropping Simpson and Morgan which I might add was one of the changes to the team that this forums honourable members were screaming for. Give the guy a summer and pre season and then lets see what happens. We are historically a yo yo club and 8th in the top division is a big achievement for us. We cannot compete with the top 6 so what do people expect.? I remember being at Filbert Street for THAT game against Sheffield United when the fans told Martin O'Neil to feck off. He was given time and the rest is history. Lets be patient, get behind him and take it from there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If he does well from now until the season end, would people still oppose him?

I think it would depend on how you define well.

If we play 'well' as in play good football i think a few of the Puel out folks may be swayed. 

If we win but  play shit (as in passing backwards/sideways etc,)  i think there would still be alot of opposition. 

For me now, i would like us to go all out and have a nice finish to the season (big ask, i know.)

Always good to finish on a high regardless of if Puel stays or we have <inset new manager> here :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I think it would depend on how you define well.

If we play 'well' as in play good football i think a few of the Puel out folks may be swayed. 

If we win but  play shit (as in passing backwards/sideways etc,)  i think there would still be alot of opposition. 

For me now, i would like us to go all out and have a nice finish to the season (big ask, i know.)

Always good to finish on a high regardless of if Puel stays or we have <inset new manager> here :D 

Quite right Suzie  - a big climax at the end is always better.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

dorsett says that its basically down to vichai to decide. I wonder if the board has discussed and agreed that termination is acceptable but passed the final call to the chairman.   if that were true then it wouldn't indicate we have someone else lined up. 

Blimey, Dorsett states the bleedin' obvious :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

When Shakey got sacked the DoF got loads of stick and then it went quiet.....I still remain suprised that this went away. 

5 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Definitely fair.

I don't think Puel was ever the right choice to be honest. He would have been music to Rudkins ears because he would say he'll play the youth team thus strengthening his position and he would also tow the party line which is why I think he got the job.

The problem is the structure and until we sort that it'll always be the same, part of the reason that I want Puel to go is that he isn't strong enough to change it. A manager with some balls will try and change it and I hope they'll finally see that bringing in a big character is the right thing to do.

You clearly know a fair bit of whats going on behind the scenes in the club - we all have a suspicion Rudkin is a slimy snake out of his depth but no evidence other than hearsay.... Please do spill if you have any info..... it will help out him as rumours grow online and more people hear about the stories of his ineptitude @Abrasive fox

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 1

Not really sure what we should do tbh.

If we are going to change though I'd prefer we had somebody lined up and that somebody is going to continue with passing football. I'm tempted to think he should get the summer though.

Puel is going to be our manager for a few seasons.He is the right man at the right time.

He will Prove all of us wrong.  Stop whining like silly School girls.

You are complaining Luke wumpsies ,and then come out with outragious suggestions

as alternatives,or just illogical opinions with absolutely no idea of future replacement....

I would lose all trust in our owners,if they dont show any common sense,and begin again a

Long drawn out process of blindly dismissing the manager with this time no immediate

idea of future paths and only cosmetic commitment.

Press rumours,forum rumours would mean that tittle tattle has more preference,than

Logical Club management , Club ethos and any developement recourse.

• Haha 1

I would love to see us go for Eddie Howe, Rafa Benitez or Sean Dyche, I can't stand the football that's being played at the minute. It's that bad that I've given my ticket away the last few games as id rather not go and watch, knowing what will be served up. 

I go to watch to be entertained and hopefully see my team win. With CP in charge I know at least one of those things won't happen. 

• Like 1

I just miss the urgency and intensity on the field that I've seen for last several years. At present I suppose I'm OK with a more mute stability even if form drops to use the luxury of our position to progress. Yes it can take a dozen games to develop and a change in play/players was needed. Perhaps we're turning a drama into a crisis, but times up and I expect to see the new Leicester tomorrow please.

4 minutes ago, Mendi said:

I want him gone, i was against his appointment from the off, which lead me getting a ban from here.

Who would you have prefered then ?? Ancelloti, Tuchel, Pellegrini ... or perhaps Big Sam, Pardew, Hughes, Lambert ??

ps, Dyche or Rafa were not options.

18 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Who would you have prefered then ?? Ancelloti, Tuchel, Pellegrini ... or perhaps Big Sam, Pardew, Hughes, Lambert ??

ps, Dyche or Rafa were not options.

Pellegrini 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Mendi said:

I want him gone, i was against his appointment from the off, which lead me getting a ban from here.

Proves my point,just Lust for the negative,and immediate slaughter.

No suggestions of anything better...

• Like 1