Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

We all want a manager to stay for longer than 6-12 months, a long term manager with a clear plan is what we all want. However i don't think this should cloud our judgement when its the right time to change managers. I think we have a lot of fans who just want to keep him so we aren't seen as a club that changes managers all the time.

Puel seemed a good appointment at the time, and in his first season he has done a job. Firstly he got us out of trouble by Christmas, the number on priority, then he had the chance to build on that and develop our style of play. Whilst i think he has made the first steps to making us a more possession based side, I am not sure he is the man to take us forward. He was free and i think will go down as a good interim manager, but long term i personally do not think he will work. We should move for somebody who can utilise the work done by Puel and fuse our more possession based game with our successful counter attacking and direct football - a very difficult job!

Its not easy for the owners to get the right manager, there is an element of risk to all appointments and only time will tell if it was the right appointment so to slaughter them for "constantly changing managers" lacks an appreciation of how difficult their job is imo

Anyway I think i owe a suggestion for the new manager, I still think Wagner would be a good progression for us. He's done well with Huddersfield, we have been interested before so he would have been sounded out as a good fit already. Also he comes from the same management philosophy as Klopp - but he's had to do it at a lower level so maybe his teams can defend as well! 

Anyway lets see UTC

It doesn't matter how tacticaly good he may be, how much people want us to progress to some Man City light passing team or the fact that we might, and I stress might, have an unbelievable transfer window if the manager cannot communicate his ideas to the players and cannot motivate them then he's finished.

Next 4 games are massive for Puel. We have absolutely nothing to lose so let's play some decent attacking football. If there's no improvement then frankly I think the owners should seriously consider replacing him. After all what's happened to the team and the way of playing that beat Spurs and  Burnley at home  and Southampton away with a certain amount of style and panache? It seems to be receeding into the distant past very quickly.

If we played dull football and won not many would care, it’s the dull football and not winning which is the problem Puel has, not entirely his fault though, our lack of goals through the team, our awful transfer dealings for a number of windows have contributed to the current state of affairs. We need to show some desire and spirit in these last four games otherwise I think he’ll be gone.

5 minutes ago, reynard said:

It doesn't matter how tacticaly good he may be, how much people want us to progress to some Man City light passing team or the fact that we might, and I stress might, have an unbelievable transfer window if the manager cannot communicate his ideas to the players and cannot motivate them then he's finished.

Next 4 games are massive for Puel. We have absolutely nothing to lose so let's play some decent attacking football. If there's no improvement then frankly I think the owners should seriously consider replacing him. After all what's happened to the team and the way of playing that beat Spurs and  Burnley at home  and Southampton away with a certain amount of style and panache? It seems to be receeding into the distant past very quickly.

4 dead rubber games (for us) with players already on the beach. Won't happen.

• Like 1

Claude Puel's message to frustrated Leicester City fans

City boss says he is laying the foundations for future success and appeals for patience.

By

Rob TannerFootball Writer

09:30, 27 APR 2018

Claude Puel has issued an impassioned plea to the Leicester City fans to have patience as he builds the foundations for lasting success at the club.

Since taking over in October the Frenchman has led City from the threat of relegation to the top half of the table but a run of just four wins from their last 17 games has seen their chances of Europa League qualification falter.

That has led to frustration in a section of the City support and led to speculation in the media that Puel may not be given time to develop his project at City, but Puel says his plan for City is a work in progress and next season the City fans should see the benefits.

“I think it is important always to see our journey,” said Puel.

“When I got here in October it was just six months ago, a few months.

“It was important firstly to save the club and now it is a long time, a few months, we play in the top half of the table.

Claude Puel insists he plans to build his team around Harry Maguire. (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)

“We maintained and saved the club and now it is important to put in place a good foundation.

“I just want to say to our fans to understand it is important to put in place a good foundation for the future.

“We need to change a few more details, not just to change but to give us stability and consistency for the future of the club, for the long term success I hope and not just think about the result, whether the game is won or lost.

“We need a project for the club for a long time and it is a long process, a fantastic project, and it is important to keep the right way all the time.

“If we have success just this season to finish in the top half of the table and reach the quarter finals of the cups, losing after good performances on penalties and after extra time, I think for a few months it will be great for the next season and it is important to keep the way.

“I am here to give a good process and to find stability, and to put in place the foundation.”

Frustrated Leicester City players during the 0-0 draw with Southampton (Image: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

Part of that foundation is the development of a young core to the squad, with a gradual changing of the guard taking place as City.

Harry Maguire and Wilfred Ndidi have become integral parts to the team now, with Ben Chilwell, Demarai Gray, Kelechi Iheanacho and Fousseni Diabate all starting to play more prominent roles under Puel.

City also have academy graduates like Harvey Barnes and Hamza Choudhury breaking through as Puel looks to the future.

“Next season will be another season and we can work on the details and we will keep improving,” said Puel.

“This season for example a lot of players improve. We work with a lot of young players and now they have good attributes.

“They improve like Demarai, like Chilwell, Maguire, Ndidi, Barnes, Choudhury; all these players are improving in the team. They are the future.

“The results are very important, I know, but all the work we do is important also.

“We need to have a good work together to put in place all this project.”

Puel needs to go unfortunately 

You can have all the plans in the world but if you can't implement them or communicate it won't work

I believe Rudkin tried to get Wagner before 

To overhaul the owners need to look hard at the recruitment and renegotiating attributes of Rudkin and co because it seems they are dire

23 minutes ago, davieG said:

Claude Puel's message to frustrated Leicester City fans

City boss says he is laying the foundations for future success and appeals for patience.

By

Rob TannerFootball Writer

09:30, 27 APR 2018

Claude Puel has issued an impassioned plea to the Leicester City fans to have patience as he builds the foundations for lasting success at the club.

Since taking over in October the Frenchman has led City from the threat of relegation to the top half of the table but a run of just four wins from their last 17 games has seen their chances of Europa League qualification falter.

That has led to frustration in a section of the City support and led to speculation in the media that Puel may not be given time to develop his project at City, but Puel says his plan for City is a work in progress and next season the City fans should see the benefits.

“I think it is important always to see our journey,” said Puel.

“When I got here in October it was just six months ago, a few months.

“It was important firstly to save the club and now it is a long time, a few months, we play in the top half of the table.

Claude Puel insists he plans to build his team around Harry Maguire. (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)

“We maintained and saved the club and now it is important to put in place a good foundation.

“I just want to say to our fans to understand it is important to put in place a good foundation for the future.

“We need to change a few more details, not just to change but to give us stability and consistency for the future of the club, for the long term success I hope and not just think about the result, whether the game is won or lost.

“We need a project for the club for a long time and it is a long process, a fantastic project, and it is important to keep the right way all the time.

“If we have success just this season to finish in the top half of the table and reach the quarter finals of the cups, losing after good performances on penalties and after extra time, I think for a few months it will be great for the next season and it is important to keep the way.

“I am here to give a good process and to find stability, and to put in place the foundation.”

Frustrated Leicester City players during the 0-0 draw with Southampton (Image: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

Part of that foundation is the development of a young core to the squad, with a gradual changing of the guard taking place as City.

Harry Maguire and Wilfred Ndidi have become integral parts to the team now, with Ben Chilwell, Demarai Gray, Kelechi Iheanacho and Fousseni Diabate all starting to play more prominent roles under Puel.

City also have academy graduates like Harvey Barnes and Hamza Choudhury breaking through as Puel looks to the future.

“Next season will be another season and we can work on the details and we will keep improving,” said Puel.

“This season for example a lot of players improve. We work with a lot of young players and now they have good attributes.

“They improve like Demarai, like Chilwell, Maguire, Ndidi, Barnes, Choudhury; all these players are improving in the team. They are the future.

“The results are very important, I know, but all the work we do is important also.

“We need to have a good work together to put in place all this project.”

That's whitewashing the reality to an extent.

Maguire was already an "integral part" under Shakespeare, with one goal and two assists in his first eight games with us.

Chilwell does play more often than last season, but that's also down to Fuchs not getting any better at age 32 and the lack of competition at left-back.

Demarai Gray may be playing a more "prominent" role, but has failed to make an impact so far (some benefit of the doubt regarding his age, though). A very frustrating player to watch.

Iheanacho played relatively often under Shakespeare, and then didn't get the nod for twelve straight league matches - after Puel took over.

Diabaté is an odd player for Tanner to name - because he was signed by Puel in January, so there's no other manager to compare him to! lol

The other youth players are hardly "breaking through", as Choudhoury is simply our last remaining central midfielder we can rely upon, with King out on loan and James and Iborra injured.

And in the case of Harvey Barnes, since when is one minute in injury time "breaking through"?

Are these players "breaking through" on merit or simply because we're desperate for options?

Seriously, does Tanner actually proof-read what he writes and before he publishes?

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, ttfn said:

If true, the idea that you’d give a manager you’ve hired with a long-term vision for the club four utterly meaningless games to determine whether or not he’s the right man says everything you need to know about the people taking the decisions.

He’s been here six months. Either you believe in what he’s doing or you don’t. Four dead rubbers shouldn’t make any difference. Exactly the sort of reactionary, short term thinking which saw us waste pre season and the first 2 months with Shakespeare.

You're totally spot on with your post, however I don't believe in what he's doing. I don't have the faith that he will elevate us.

A lot of chatter now in the newspapers suggesting things are ( obviously) unsettled.

Puel trying to fight his corner with his own comments but I suspect it’s all too little and the owners and club management will  be ahead of this and no doubt be deciding when is the best time to sack him- may even be next week!!

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

And what do we do when we have the ball mate apart from pass sideways and slow it down. 

We haven't been able to string 2-3 passes together in some games recently, apart from the simple side to side. 

It's incredibly dull to watch, if anybody is happy with what we are seeing then they are deluded. Give him a chance, he's trying to implement his own style etc...

I'm afraid when you have about four wins from seventeen league games, are piss poor against Swansea, Stoke, Bournemouth, Newcastle and Southampton at home and the football on display is terrible to watch you're going to be on the verge of getting sacked.

Don’t forget Palace! People always seem to forget Palace in the list if shite results. That was one of the worst IMO.

I personally don't see what some of you expect, this is a manager that has shown time and time again that you need to give him more than a season to see the benefits from his team. Yes, we've seen some weird decisions of late, but he's kept us up and at least been vocal with the fans on what he plans to achieve.

Yes, we could sack him; but to me that's 1 step forward and 2 steps back.... let him overhaul the squad and remove the garbage that think they still deserve to play for this club as they clearly don't match Puel's overall progressive ambitions for the club.

Edited by lcfc sheff
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I personally don't see what some of you expect, this is a manager that has shown time and time again that you need to give him more than a season to see the benefits from his team. Yes, we've seen some weird decisions of late, but he's kept us up and at least been vocal with the fans on what he plans to achieve.

Yes, we could sack him; but to me that's 1 step forward and 2 steps back.... let him overhaul the squad and remove the garbage that think they still deserve to play for this club as they clearly don't match Puel's overall progressive ambitions for the club.

Puel is not the only man in the football universe capable of overhauling the squad and removing the "garbage".

I find it hard to understand why some fans consider Puel so competent that they overlook his failings at Southampton, his falling outs at clubs in France (Lyon, Nice) and get some sort of tunnel vision where there is one room and Claude Puel and nothing else.

It is believed many players out of the team are now prepared to delay considering their options until Puel’s future is clearer.

Can't wait to start next season with Morgan Fuchs King Ulloa and Okazaki still hanging around, at least Puel has seen the light and we need a fresh start.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I think he’s gone.

I also think that for the first time we’ll have potential candidates lined up rather than spending the first part of the window with a rudderless ship.

Wish we were Ruddersless! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Not so much lined up, but it would be nice to think they actually bother to keep an eye on football around the world and managers who are proving a hit. You get the feeling they just look down a list of who is available at the time.

I'm just waiting for the usual "LCFC will now begin the recruitment process" a day or two after he's gone lol 

• Like 1