Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

7 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Puel would have been music to Rudkins ears because he would say he'll play the youth team thus strengthening his position and he would also tow the party line which is why I think he got the job.

A DoF protecting his position is always unlikely to appoint a manager who might rock the boat.

The decent results in the early days of his tenure were when we were still playing on the front foot but with a slightly more possession based game. That clearly suited the players well. Now that his preferred style is fully embedded not only are the results poor but it's bloody awful to watch. He certainly cannot claim to have saved us from relegation when we have not occupied any of the relegation places all season and Appleton had already guided us to our first away win (Swansea) and best cup result (Leeds) of the season just before he took over. His whole touchline demeanour coupled with limited communication skills make him a poor fit for this club. A strange choice at the time - and it hasn't been vindicated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If he does well from now until the season end, would people still oppose him?

Yes because he has made a total pigs ear of this season.In a poor division with the squad he has had he has made a botch of it.

52 minutes ago, richardsfoxes said:

The whole thing makes zero sense, why even give him four games to change your mind if you don't believe in him long term. I mean i keep hearing we have all this money to spend on overhauling the squad yet they go for Puel and Shakey before that. Let's wait and see what happens, @Abrasive fox Do you think they have someone lined up? 

It is not 4 games though, the reality is the decision is probably pretty much made based on how he has performed or not performed since his arrival.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Some people don't want to get onside unless is suits them, I'm sure we can all agree Pearson was excellent at building team spirit. But even he couldn't get certain people to be team players and stop sniping in the background. He was given the chance to get rid and bring his own people in.

Look at all the pathetic stuff that go chucked around about Pearson "upsetting players", fighting, fall outs, making them train with the youth team, not playing the great like Beckford, Danns etc. History proved him right because he was given the chance, the club didn't listen to fans whine constantly about how upset Matt Mills might be.

Yep he had time to build his squad. At the moment this isn’t being allowed to any manager at this club. Who can forgot Cliff and his rant about selling Sol Bamba? 

Pearson had an ability to convince the owners despite Rudkin having their ear. Until we get a manager whose stronger enough to manage this squad, rebuild and at the same time challenge the powers above, we face the same cycle. 

Interestingly it’s Pearson what built the players into this powerful situation. He regularly held team meetings and there was a leadership group. There was a democracy there which has seen the players become opinionated under other managers. Similarly staff. When they are not being communicated with, things tend to kick off

2 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Yes because he has made a total pigs ear of this season.In a poor division with the squad he has had he has made a botch of it.

I'm not sold on him, think he's made a hash over how he handled the Morgan/Dragovic matter, our brand of football has become boring and stale to watch and we're not exactly ripping the league up. We're sleep walking to a disastrous season under Puel and I think we do need to act now! Clearly he doesn't have the backroom staff and players onside, so why keep someone whose just not a right fit??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rusko187 said:

I'm not sold on him, think he's made a hash over how he handled the Morgan/Dragovic matter, our brand of football has become boring and stale to watch and we're not exactly ripping the league up. We're sleep walking to a disastrous season under Puel and I think we do need to act now! Clearly he doesn't have the backroom staff and players onside, so why keep someone whose just not a right fit??

Spot on.

28 minutes ago, yorksfox said:

The decent results in the early days of his tenure were when we were still playing on the front foot but with a slightly more possession based game. That clearly suited the players well. Now that his preferred style is fully embedded not only are the results poor but it's bloody awful to watch. He certainly cannot claim to have saved us from relegation when we have not occupied any of the relegation places all season and Appleton had already guided us to our first away win (Swansea) and best cup result (Leeds) of the season just before he took over. His whole touchline demeanour coupled with limited communication skills make him a poor fit for this club. A strange choice at the time - and it hasn't been vindicated.

We were 18th when Appleton took over, and when Puel took over we were 1 point above relegation, in what weird world were we not in a relegation fight?

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

We were 18th when Appleton took over, and when Puel took over we were 1 point above relegation, in what weird world were we not in a relegation fight?

We were 8 games in and the win against Everton took us 4 points clear and into 11th to be fair.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We were 8 games in and the win against Everton took us 4 points clear and into 11th to be fair.

Still with 1 win in our first 8 games, I find it hard to believe we weren't in a position to be worried about the way the season was going, despite it being early. It was our 10th game (Everton) that took us 11th, though.

Edited by Beechey

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Still with 1 win in our first 8 games, I find it hard to believe we weren't in a position to be worried about the way the season was going, despite it being early. It was our 10th game (Everton) that took us 11th, though.

I meant it was 8 games in when we sacked Shakespeare.

We did have a very very tough start.

I personally wasn't worried about relegation, it was more that we would have a hugely disappointing season again.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I personally wasn't worried about relegation, it was more that we would have a hugely disappointing season again.

I was only worried about relegation in the sense that the players might get dejected and form would plummet against worse opponents. It was too early in the season to be scared about actually being relegated in my mind though. But saying we weren't in the mess at the point when Shakespeare was sacked would be wrong though, it probably could have gone either way had we kept him.

Edited by Beechey

I wonder whether Claude may get sacked as early as next week, we seem comfortable with the media are openly speculating/reporting, If I was him I'd be asking for assurances and he'll probably get none and be dismissed.

3 minutes ago, Beechey said:

I’m not one of these fans who sees games against the ‘top’ clubs as ‘free hits’, I like to think we can beat them or atleast get a draw but when the fixtures came out, given the start I expected to have a bad start. 

I think any manager would have struggled with that start.

I seem to remember in the thread about this season fixtures quite a few people joking and predicting Shakespeare being sacked after the first few to 10 games.

I was confident we could get out of it, rectify our season and given it was so early in season despite being in a hole I didn’t think we were in trouble as such.

That said Shakespeare needed to go, he was out of his depth and simply isn’t a manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I wonder whether Claude may get sacked as early as next week, we seem comfortable with the media are openly speculating/reporting, If I was him I'd be asking for assurances and he'll probably get none and be dismissed.

Reading posts on here during this week and the article this morning I was thinking lose tomorrow and I think he’s gone next week.

1 hour ago, LPF said:

I hope that the board will keep its confidence in Claude Puel, he can be the right man for the job.

I would be keen to understand how you draw that conclusion - not being antagonistic but I fail to see how anyone could draw that conclusion?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Arsenal 4 : 3 Leicester Match Report
  W EPL 19-08-2017   Leicester 2 : 0 Brighton Match Report
  W EFLC 22-08-2017   Sheffield United 1 : 4 Leicester Match Report
  L EPL 26-08-2017   Manchester United 2 : 0 Leicester Match Report
  L EPL 09-09-2017   Leicester 1 : 2 Chelsea Match Report
  D EPL 16-09-2017   Huddersfield 1 : 1 Leicester Match Report
  W EFLC 19-09-2017   Leicester 2 : 0 Liverpool Match Report
  L EPL 23-09-2017   Leicester 2 : 3 Liverpool Match Report
  D EPL 30-09-2017   Bournemouth 0 : 0 Leicester Match Report
  D EPL 16-10-2017   Leicester 1 : 1

West Bromwich Albion

I would say Arsenal and Man Utd were the only 'tough' fixtures given our history against them since coming back in to the PL. We completely dropped a bollock in that Arsenal match and Shakeys subs killed us. We had a good home record against Liverpool in recent seasons. Beating them 3-1 and 2-0 in the last two. Bournemouth is basically always a draw. West Brom we really should have won but we were dreadful. 

Edited by tiredclimb

2 minutes ago, tiredclimb said:

Arsenal 4 : 3 Leicester Match Report
  W EPL 19-08-2017   Leicester 2 : 0 Brighton Match Report
  W EFLC 22-08-2017   Sheffield United 1 : 4 Leicester Match Report
  L EPL 26-08-2017   Manchester United 2 : 0 Leicester Match Report
  L EPL 09-09-2017   Leicester 1 : 2 Chelsea Match Report
  D EPL 16-09-2017   Huddersfield 1 : 1 Leicester Match Report
  W EFLC 19-09-2017   Leicester 2 : 0 Liverpool Match Report
  L EPL 23-09-2017   Leicester 2 : 3 Liverpool Match Report
  D EPL 30-09-2017   Bournemouth 0 : 0 Leicester Match Report
  D EPL 16-10-2017   Leicester 1 : 1

West Bromwich Albion

I would say Arsenal and Man Utd were the only 'tough' fixtures given our history against them since coming back in to the PL. We completely dropped a bollock in that Arsenal match and Shakeys subs killed us. We had a good home record against Liverpool in recent seasons. Beating them 3-1 and 2-0 in the last two. Bournemouth is basically always a draw. West Brom we really should have won but we were dreadful. 

We played 4 of last season's top 6 in our first 6 league games.

That's a tough start in anyone's books.

• Like 1

We had a tough start but the displays against Huddersfield, Bournemouth and West Brom were dreadful.

Assistants as managers I'm not comfortable with, especially with the way the players were pleading for him to be appointed. Very tough for the manager to take a hard line with players he's probably close to.

• Like 1

Just now, Corky said:

We had a tough start but the displays against Huddersfield, Bournemouth and West Brom were dreadful.

Assistants as managers I'm not comfortable with, especially with the way the players were pleading for him to be appointed. Very tough for the manager to take a hard line with players he's probably close to.

Puel’s got away with worse.