Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Shame Puel can’t organise one

Should the coaches be off the hook as well? It also can't be a surprise that this is the third manager it's happened under and we've made no major changes to the backroom staff

Edited by Beechey

2 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I feel much the same - but I fear, and sort of accept that after today’s utter collapse that he was a few matches short of being saved by the end of the season. Owners do not want to face a fanbase in revolt.

Puel, to use a phrase from American Football, “outkicked his coverage” - that is to say that he went too far, too fast, and in the process of doing something decent undermined his own success.

Oh I agree, I think he’s gone as well.

I just thought someone should make the case against.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

Should the coaches be off the hook as well? It also can't be a surprise that this is the third manager it's happened under and we've made no major changes to the backroom staff

Well we have, we’ve lost at least 4/5 significant parts of the backroom setup.

Ultimately the manager sets the tone, makes the decisions. Coaches follow his lead.

Albrighton at right back today was the manager. He’s up against Zaha. Who here, would have made that selection? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Sorry. I disagree. Not all of us unanimously.

This isn’t going to be popular  lol  but I still think that the owners should hold off from sacking him.

Yes, today was awful. Yes, we were already pretty uninspiring when we had 11 men, away to a side still needing to fight when we are already safe. But we were only utterly, bone-crunchingly awful towards the end, with 10 men, by which point the game was long gone.  A late (and late season) surrender like the Spurs game last year.

What if, from our position of safety, we could write this off as a bad day at the office?

What if we could accept that Puel’s selection and our playing style has indeed been ropey over recent months, but also acknowledge that it ain’t really Puel’s team yet?

What if we could recognise that mid table in the Premier League was dreamland for us, just a few short years ago, and was quite optimistic - see the “finishing 8th” thread - when Puel first arrived?

What if Puel could stay, and then clear out the dressing room in the Summer, and actually forge his own team?

What if we could accept that any incoming manager would face exactly the same problems, if they are not allowed to clear out the old guard and forge their own team and style?

What if Leicester City didn’t have a managerial revolving door, which will only lead us one way?

I suspect I may be entirely on my own, but madly, and with wild optimism, and despite the pelters and criticisms  I will doubtless receive in here for saying this, I say :

Puel in.

:scarf:

I think I better go and barricade myself in the Safehouse.... :ph34r:

file

29a27t.jpg

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

For a long time we have needed  a manager willing to upset some of the big egos in the dressing room, who have lived off of our title winning season for too long ...looking at the look of thunder on Puel's face as he walked off he may now be the man

I'd like that to be the case but can you see him lobbing boots around and shouting players to tears a la prime Fergie? Not me, he seems too reserved to be capable of ripping those players apart

Just now, The Doctor said:

I'd like that to be the case but can you see him lobbing boots around and shouting players to tears a la prime Fergie? Not me, he seems too reserved to be capable of ripping those players apart

The bigger issue now is that it’s probably too late.

You’d have to think that his authority is shot to pieces now.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

The bigger issue now is that it’s probably too late.

You’d have to think that his authority is shot to pieces now.

And his reputation.

Who'd take on Puel now after (what looks like) two sackings in the space of less than twelve months?

13 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Well we have, we’ve lost at least 4/5 significant parts of the backroom setup.

Ultimately the manager sets the tone, makes the decisions. Coaches follow his lead.

Albrighton at right back today was the manager. He’s up against Zaha. Who here, would have made that selection? 

There are more than a Manager, Assistant and DoF, Head Scout etc at the club, there is also a number of coaches, whose job it is to drill the players. Mike Stowell for example has been here for as long as I can remember, he's the head first team coach (acting almost as an assistant manager) and head goalkeeping coach. Why does he not get any stick for his part in woeful performances? We've been utterly dross at defending for almost 2 years now.

I refuse to believe that we've under performed under 3 managers with almost certainly vastly the same coaching staff with it only being the manager's fault. It's top to bottom, root and stem. Including manager influence, of course.

Edited by Beechey

20 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Sorry. I disagree. Not all of us unanimously.

This isn’t going to be popular  lol  but I still think that the owners should hold off from sacking him.

Yes, today was awful. Yes, we were already pretty uninspiring when we had 11 men, away to a side still needing to fight when we are already safe. But we were only utterly, bone-crunchingly awful towards the end, with 10 men, by which point the game was long gone.  A late (and late season) surrender like the Spurs game last year.

What if, from our position of safety, we could write this off as a bad day at the office?

What if we could accept that Puel’s selection and our playing style has indeed been ropey over recent months, but also acknowledge that it ain’t really Puel’s team yet?

What if we could recognise that mid table in the Premier League was dreamland for us, just a few short years ago, and was quite optimistic - see the “finishing 8th” thread - when Puel first arrived?

What if Puel could stay, and then clear out the dressing room in the Summer, and actually forge his own team?

What if we could accept that any incoming manager would face exactly the same problems, if they are not allowed to clear out the old guard and forge their own team and style?

What if Leicester City didn’t have a managerial revolving door, which will only lead us one way?

I suspect I may be entirely on my own, but madly, and with wild optimism, and despite the pelters and criticisms  I will doubtless receive in here for saying this, I say :

Puel in.

:scarf:

I think I better go and barricade myself in the Safehouse.... :ph34r:

file

I’m with you. Just posted something similar in the West Ham thread. At some point we have to see. The knee-jerk reaction thing can only end one way before too long. And before anyone tells me it’s not a knee-jerk, but a trend, at least read my comment in the WHU thread ! ☹️

7 minutes ago, Beechey said:

There are more than a Manager, Assistant and DoF, Head Scout etc at the club, there is also a number of coaches, whose job it is to drill the players. Mike Stowell for example has been here for as long as I can remember, he's the head first team coach (acting almost as an assistant manager) and head goalkeeping coach. Why does he not get any stick for his part in woeful performances? We've been utterly dross at defending for almost 2 years now.

I refuse to believe that we've under performed under 3 managers with almost certainly vastly the same coaching staff with it only being the manager's fault. It's top to bottom, root and stem. Including manager influence, of course.

We’ve under performed at times - other times, we’ve excelled. The key in all of that is how the players are used and setup. 

Take Palace as a fitting example. Hodgson has transformed players that were allover the place to a decent and competitive outfit in this league. Look at Pulis has done a thing Boro in a short space of time. Even Moyes has worked something at West Ham. 

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Take Palace as a fitting example. Hodgson has transformed players that were allover the place to a decent and competitive outfit in this league. Look at Pulis has done a thing Boro in a short space of time. Even Moyes has worked something at West Ham. 

I don’t like where you’re going with that. 

Just now, Nigel Graham Pearson said:

I don’t like where you’re going with that. 

I’m not suggesting we’d want any of those shit houses at our club - but it does show they ain’t stupid, each have come in off the back of their own sackings and have learnt something from them and equally know, you don’t win football matches at that mid-tier level with philosophy - you win it with defence first and foremost. 

We’re getting worse not better. The longer he’s had to implement his ideas, embed his philosophy the worse we’ve actually got. 

All this give him time to build rubbish, all this these aren’t his players excuses. These weren’t his players when he first came and we did ok. The more he’s ‘built’ the more he’s destroyed. 

• Like 1

He only took over in October...of a club trying to dramatically change its playing style  ..of a club whos best player didnt want to be here..of a club who had put players on long term contracts after winning the title and were no longer under pressure to perform ..of a club who had made some very poor signings in the transfer window...and there are people on here slaughtering him...personally i think we need someone willing to throw the hairdryer in the dressing room...he has given the players a more than fair chance to show their worth..., those that have'nt may now be needing to duck 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I feel for Puel, I really do. He’s defended the players publically while some were clearly undermining him in the media and probably in the dressing room as well. Cancer is a difficult thing to cut out. 

I feel for Puel because he's a good manager, but not made for the Premier League.

He's done best in his native of France (even if there were some negative byproducts of his tenure at Lyon and Nice), but ever since taking on the Southampton job, he's shown he can't adapt.

He showed signs of promise at the start (new-manager-boost) and the Mahrez debacle in January worked against him and the club as a whole, but even his "special ability" to get the best out of troublemakers couldn't help him then.

And let's not forget that he did himself no favours by talking about a "vision" when he had just managed his team to four wins in 17 matches and no home win since late January.

Edited by MC Prussian

30 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I feel for Puel, I really do. He’s defended the players publically while some were clearly undermining him in the media and probably in the dressing room as well. Cancer is a difficult thing to cut out. 

I feel sorry for him as well. But I just cannot see him having the requisite character to command the respect of this squad. Though that is also a problem with this squad, and probably the modern footballer.

It really is a right mess, and only a few wrong moves away from being totally catastrophic. A few key players could go, with poor replacements (recent history doesn’t instil much confidence) and whoever is in charge it could go tits up.

Its a tough call, but you could see Benitez commanding the respect of this current lot, clearing out deadwood (by all accounts he’s quite ruthless) and also attracting the calibre of player we want. He would have got us into Europe this season if he was in charge - of that I have no doubt.

2 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

We’ve under performed at times - other times, we’ve excelled. The key in all of that is how the players are used and setup. 

Palace are actually a great example of what Puel has managed to achieve.

Hodgson and Puel have very similar records since taking over struggling sides. Palace were more of a mess than we were in the short term - Hodgson went back to basics and they’ve secured their survival with 2 games to go.

Puel is trying to change the team’s style and yet has achieved similar results to Hodgson’s “back to basics” approach. Puel has a (marginally) better squad but it’s not so much better that we should be lauding Hodgson for keeping Palace up and lambasting Puel for having us 9th. Since Puel took over Hodgson’s Palace have taken exactly the same number of points as we have. 

Should we be hoping for better? Obviously. Realistically are we going to do better? I don’t know, I hope so but we are near enough where we should be, as are Palace. One manager is hailed as a genius, the other as a calamity.

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Palace are actually a great example of what Puel has managed to achieve.

Hodgson and Puel have very similar records since taking over struggling sides. Palace were more of a mess than we were in the short term - Hodgson went back to basics and they’ve secured their survival with 2 games to go.

Puel is trying to change the team’s style and yet has achieved similar results to Hodgson’s “back to basics” approach. Puel has a (marginally) better squad but it’s not so much better that we should be lauding Hodgson for keeping Palace up and lambasting Puel for having us 9th. Since Puel took over Hodgson’s Palace have taken exactly the same number of points as we have. 

Should we be hoping for better? Obviously. Realistically are we going to do better? I don’t know, I hope so but we are near enough where we should be, as are Palace. One manager is hailed as a genius, the other as a calamity.

You must have heard the phrase "You're only as good as your last game"

To explain, the culmination of their reigns are thus;

- one team looked ****ing good, on the up.

-the other looked ****ing shit, dead and buried.

One progressed, the other regressed.

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1