Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

Puel needs a window (and as others have mentioned the next one is a big one).

A new right back, CB, LB and a Mahrez replacement.  A CF option also if Slimani, Musa and Ulloa go.

He deserves at least that.

i don’t think it was the game to start Nacho but he needs time, Morgan was fine.  Diabate can on when we needed mor up front which was about right for me

At least we play better football than the shit we watched under Shakespeare.

We need several new players. The amount of good areas Simpson got in yesterday but it didn't come to anything because of his lack of final ball, compared with Cedric's goal for Southampton against Wigan.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Our players strengths are playing on the counter with balls over the top, which was swiftly found out after our league winning season and got our manager sacked the following season, it doesn't work any more, bar the odd occasion defenders switch off against us

And to change it we need to make some new signings, which we can't do until the summer. Yes we could have bought some players to fit in with our new style of playing in January, but for overly inflated prices, which i'm personally glad we didn't do

So instead let’s keep asking our full backs to bomb forward at every opportunity overlapping knowing they both can’t cross a ball!

1 minute ago, Tringfox said:

So instead let’s keep asking our full backs to bomb forward at every opportunity overlapping knowing they both can’t cross a ball!

I see your point as it exposes them when they lose the ball, but the whole team can get used to the style playing that way, an I reckon Puel thinks Chilwell is young enough an will learn how to cross, simpson however the phrase old dog new tricks springs to my mind on that.

2 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

We got Diabaté.

If you think that you can sign good players in january without being ripped off, you can't be more wrong. If they're avalaible and even want to come here, that is.

Anything's good to have a go at Puel, so it seems.

Hardly Puels fault that is it? More like Rudkin job! We have done well in January in the past! Mahrez, Ndidi etc 

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

We are struggling more than ever against the bottom-half teams that park the bus at our place. No wins against Swansea, Stoke and Bournemouth in our last three home games is surely proof of that? Even last season we'd have picked up more points in those matches.

We missed 51 shots in those three games, I'm not sure the manager is to blame for us not finding the target with them. We also conceded 3 goal from a very small number of shots against, that doesn't happen all the time.

I could point to us struggling against lower teams in any season, even when we won the league we struggled as soon as people started sitting back against us. I don't see the last three home league games as any particular trend, it's too small a sample, and it's not like we've not been getting chances.

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

My point being that his remit was to make us better at breaking teams down who sit deep, yet more than ever it seems like the deeper the opposition sit, the more we struggle.

You keep saying more than ever, it's really not the case

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

At least we play better football than the shit we watched under Shakespeare.

We need several new players. The amount of good areas Simpson got in yesterday but it didn't come to anything because of his lack of final ball, compared with Cedric's goal for Southampton against Wigan.

Swings and roundabouts though; Cedric was repeatedly shown up by Wigan in the first half. We have to accept for a team outside the top six, that complete player won’t come and any full back we sign to do that role is likely to have defensive weakenesses.

To add I’m more than happy to give Puel more patience and time given his record for building clubs stronger as a whole. I find the criticism of yesterday’s game baffling when reading the neutral reports of the press.

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

He's excellent at dispossessing opponents. He has a fine shot. I've seen him pass effectively. Perhaps his youth and inexperience at this level is subduing his technical ability.

I agree with most your post but his passing (forward) is actually his Achilles heel. It's not something that can't be corrected though.

13 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

He's excellent at dispossessing opponents. He has a fine shot. I've seen him pass effectively. Perhaps his youth and inexperience at this level is subduing his technical ability.

I agree with everything you say except “the fine shot”, that needs work, nine times out of ten he hits row z! But dispossessing opponents he’s almost on a par with Kante.

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Our players strengths are playing on the counter with balls over the top, which was swiftly found out after our league winning season and got our manager sacked the following season, it doesn't work any more, bar the odd occasion defenders switch off against us

And to change it we need to make some new signings, which we can't do until the summer. Yes we could have bought some players to fit in with our new style of playing in January, but for overly inflated prices, which i'm personally glad we didn't do

.... I just wish people would stop saying we were found out and teams have sussed us out. Ranieri changed the system as he beleived erroneously that we could no longer play this way. Shakey went back to the same style and won 5 in a row, not an easy thing to acheive in this division unless your Man. City etc. The only problem was at the back end of the season, Wes was out with back problems, Drinky was carrying a hip injury and we had secured safety. The results tailed off but we started the new season (no Silva or Iborra or Drinkwater and the Mahrez problem) with some poor performances against the lower teams. Shakey was unlucky, I wanted us to continue this style but with better players. The players I believe have the same mentality but I think now they have accepted that we will not resort to what it was which made us great but a new regime in now in place and is here to stay.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

A few places above us? They are 16 points above us, which to put into perspective, Stoke are 13 points below us and could get relegated. It might only be a few places but in premier league terms it's a huge gap. We've had one peak and they've had one slump. How on earth you can compare the two on that basis is beyond me.

A lot of people, neutrals included, gave Leicester a good chance for the reasons I mentioned, one of which is that these clubs were the last two sides to win the division. There's a valid comparison for that reason alone. Our current set of players, and their current set of players, have achieved comparable success at league and European, if not Cup, level in the past couple of seasons. I'm not saying they're two sides of equivalent quality, nor that you can compare the two sets of players in terms of pedigree, or success over a longer period of time - only that we were in with a fair old chance as the home team and because they have their problems right now, one of which was a mid-week game overseas.

As for the point about league position, it's entirely right to point out that, for all the closeness in the table, there's an unhealthy points difference. But if our ambition really is to crack that 'Big' 5-6, then our recent history - not to mention our current league position - suggests that we're in with a shot.

As such, all I'm saying is that this loss shouldn't simply be brushed off as a damn fine effort against the odds, but analysed properly and honestly as a missed opportunity. The sort of opportunity we're going to have to seize in the future if we want to achieve our ambitions, and enjoy the sort of success which is attainable for a club in our position.

To put my point another way, I don't think it's right to accept we were right to fire Shakespeare (I'm not saying this is the case with you), but at the same time ask no questions of Puel. Their records over their reigns are virtually identical, including with regard to how results tail off as time wears on. There are things we saw in Shaky that led us to believe he wasn't the man to take the next step, even though he fulfilled his primary objective. With Puel, who has also achieved his primary objective, I see plenty more promise than I did with his predecessor, but believe we shouldn't close our eyes to the stuff which hasn't worked out. Yesterday, in both performance and result, there was evidence of stuff which we need to, and should realistically believe that we can get better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, inckley fox said:

A lot of people, neutrals included, gave Leicester a good chance for the reasons I mentioned, one of which is that these clubs were the last two sides to win the division. There's a valid comparison for that reason alone. Our current set of players, and their current set of players, have achieved comparable success at league and European, if not Cup, level in the past couple of seasons. I'm not saying they're two sides of equivalent quality, nor that you can compare the two sets of players in terms of pedigree, or success over a longer period of time - only that we were in with a fair old chance as the home team and because they have their problems right now, one of which was a mid-week game overseas.

As for the point about league position, it's entirely right to point out that, for all the closeness in the table, there's an unhealthy points difference. But if our ambition really is to crack that 'Big' 5-6, then our recent history - not to mention our current league position - suggests that we're in with a shot.

As such, all I'm saying is that this loss shouldn't simply be brushed off as a damn fine effort against the odds, but analysed properly and honestly as a missed opportunity. The sort of opportunity we're going to have to seize in the future if we want to achieve our ambitions, and enjoy the sort of success which is attainable for a club in our position.

To put my point another way, I don't think it's right to accept we were right to fire Shakespeare (I'm not saying this is the case with you), but at the same time ask no questions of Puel. Their records over their reigns are virtually identical, including with regard to how results tail off as time wears on. There are things we saw in Shaky that led us to believe he wasn't the man to take the next step, even though he fulfilled his primary objective. With Puel, who has also achieved his primary objective, I see plenty more promise than I did with his predecessor, but believe we shouldn't close our eyes to the stuff which hasn't worked out. Yesterday, in both performance and result, there was evidence of stuff which we need to, and should realistically believe that we can get better.

He's changed our style with positive results, albeit inconsistent, with the same squad.

He hasnt brought in any players, and we're doing ok, pretty well in fact.

Give him a window, and judge him once we have at least one proper full back

39 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.... I just wish people would stop saying we were found out and teams have sussed us out. Ranieri changed the system as he beleived erroneously that we could no longer play this way. Shakey went back to the same style and won 5 in a row, not an easy thing to acheive in this division unless your Man. City etc. The only problem was at the back end of the season, Wes was out with back problems, Drinky was carrying a hip injury and we had secured safety. The results tailed off but we started the new season (no Silva or Iborra or Drinkwater and the Mahrez problem) with some poor performances against the lower teams. Shakey was unlucky, I wanted us to continue this style but with better players. The players I believe have the same mentality but I think now they have accepted that we will not resort to what it was which made us great but a new regime in now in place and is here to stay.

They did though. They sat deep, gave us the ball, we didn't have a clue what to do with it and so much for the "highpressingenergyattackingfootball" the nostalgics still think we're capable of. Especially after one of the best DMs in the world, if not the best, went to Chelsea.

Yeah, let's bring him back and play hoofball again.

Really?

He's easily been the best player of the season. Aside from the poor game against Arsenal he consistently delivered this season.

Ain't gonna happen and Shakey won't come back.

It was a one off with three players at world class level and opponents either unprepared or underestimating us. It won't happen again. We didn't give up on the counter attacking by the way, it's just not the main dish anymore.

Edited by ZeGuy

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

He's changed our style with positive results, albeit inconsistent, with the same squad.

He hasnt brought in any players, and we're doing ok, pretty well in fact.

Give him a window, and judge him once we have at least one proper full back

That's all fair enough. It's right to give him time. Whoever is in charge will have to deal with our dependence on Mahrez and an ageing forward, so I also hope he's given more time than Shakespeare to gel a different set of solutions together. We may have to shut our eyes until the back end of November, rather than September, and hope we scrape a few results together while players bed in.

On the one hand, in terms of results his 26 games and Shakespeare's are pretty much identical, and follow a similar pattern. As with CS last season, he's achieved what we wanted him to achieve, but it's also right to say that the football is much better to watch. You'd have to suppose that we're in a safer pair of hands, and there's a sense that a long-term project is developing, rather than the short-termism of Shaky's reign. So yes, give him time. 

None of that means to say that he's not cocked a few things up along the way, of course. The questions about his game management, about the attacking full backs, about occasionally needing to be a little more direct (and so on) are fair questions to ask. But, to take you up on one point, he has actually brought in one player, and a player who looks highly promising. He's also brought along a good few more at a time when we desperately needed to reduce the age of our squad. So, as you say, there are loads of reasons to be optimistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

They did though. They sat deep, gave us the ball, we didn't have a clue what to do with it and so much for the "highpressingenergyattackingfootball" the nostalgics still think we're capable of. Especially after one of the best DMs in the world, if not the best, went to Chelsea.

Yeah, let's bring him back and play hoofball again.

Really?

He's easily been the best player of the season. Aside from the poor game against Arsenal he consistently delivered this season.

Ain't gonna happen and Shakey won't come back.

It was a one off with three players at world class level and opponents either unprepared or underestimating us. It won't happen again. We didn't give up on the counter attacking by the way, it's just not the main dish anymore.

....you really need to calm down!!!

What I said was Shakey was unlucky as he did not have the players available to him at the start of the season. We lacked composure on the ball and the afore mentioned missing players were an essential part of what was needed to elevate our team and improve our style of play.

I'm hoping he shows some courage in our remaining games and leaves out Wes and Simpson as they hinder the style of play he wants, play Albrighton at Rb until Amartey is fit and play Silva at 10 from now on he is the only one in the squad capable of doing it in a possession style, Nacho should get 30 mins per game as the 9, not behind Vardy in place of

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....you really need to calm down!!!

What I said was Shakey was unlucky as he did not have the players available to him at the start of the season. We lacked composure on the ball and the afore mentioned missing players were an essential part of what was needed to elevate our team and improve our style of play.

I'm calm. You?

He wasn't unlucky, he was out of his depth, had no tactical clue and rightly got the boot. He was the perfect example of a manager bounce and the team had a point to prove. Past that everything fell apart. Puel showed him up big time.

A real shame as he was a great coach.

Edited by ZeGuy

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

I'm hoping he shows some courage in our remaining games and leaves out Wes and Simpson as they hinder the style of play he wants, play Albrighton at Rb until Amartey is fit and play Silva at 10 from now on he is the only one in the squad capable of doing it in a possession style, Nacho should get 30 mins per game as the 9, not behind Vardy in place of

Albrighton isn't good enough as a right back and since Gray let himself down we don't have a LW. Diabaté should have a shot although his preferred wing the right one.

Nacho is indeed to be played as 9.

12 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Albrighton isn't good enough as a right back and since Gray let himself down we don't have a LW. Diabaté should have a shot although his preferred wing the right one.

Nacho is indeed to be played as 9.

we don't have another option at RB, none of the U23s are natural RBs, I wouldn't say Gray has let himself down either

4 hours ago, Donut said:

You say struggling against those teams, yet its not like we didn't create anything in those games, because we did.

3 points from those 3 games is a bad return when youd want at least 5 I would suggest, but how can you ever be a good team with sustained improvement if youre happy to accept 30% possession every week and MAYBE sucker punch someone to win.

Its ironic that teams fans' moan about style of play, and yet we seem to be the opposite, we WANT our team to play LESS football.

I was going to reply to that post but was sure someone would have beat me to it. I actually replied to this exact point of struggling to win our last three home games over that period with this post.

Just now, Jimmy said:

we don't have another option at RB, none of the U23s are natural RBs, I wouldn't say Gray has let himself down either

Then stick with Simpson even if it's a square peg in Puel's system and wait for the summer to do what should've been dealt with seasons ago, find a RB. Gray has been crap since december and it's no wonder he got dropped. His decision making didn't improve at all. Puel gave him a real chance and he didn't take it.

Just now, ZeGuy said:

Then stick with Simpson even if it's a square peg in Puel's system and wait for the summer to do what should've been dealt with seasons ago, find a RB. Gray has been crap since december and it's no wonder he got dropped. His decision making didn't improve at all. Puel gave him a real chance and he didn't take it.

why stick with a player that cannot cope with the style of football? Amartey will be fit in a couple of weeks so Albrighton playing is a stop gap and who knows he may adapt there really well, like I said I want him to show courage and commitment to the new style in what are essentially dead rubbers for us

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

It's over for gray Imo.  . i thought he was going to kick on and become great... but he gives the impression of not being prepared to work at it.  If he put as much effort into addressing his shortcomings as he does to moaning about being held back he could be brill.  He has held himself back.

It is not too late

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

It's over for gray Imo.  . i thought he was going to kick on and become great... but he gives the impression of not being prepared to work at it.  If he put as much effort into addressing his shortcomings as he does to moaning about being held back he could be brill.  He has held himself back.

It is not too late

all the more reason to give him every game for the rest of the season, sink or swim time