Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

8 hours ago, knitro said:

I think this fair - for me the offensive outputs the final two games as well as earlier games in his tenure like Everton give me a glimpse of what he's trying to do. I think growing pains should be anticipated, and it's clear we still have players getting minutes who are past their best (right side of the defense comes to mind). I imagine there's a balancing act with regards to the locker room when you can't offload players, I mean he did send quite a few potential malcontents out on loan (Ulloa & Slimani) which probably helped open the door for Nacho's end of the season uptick, but it's probably a multi-window fix to get our squad to the level required. I'm curious what sort of assurances Dragovich was or was not given. I think in some ways the separated shoulder was a blessing as far as selection dilemmas for Puel. 

Now where I agree with the detractors, we do need to find ways to turn possession into chances against lesser teams - drawing with Stoke, Swansea, Bournemouth and Southhampton just isn't good enough. My optimistic take is with a more able midfield (Iborra/Ndidi/Hamza are not offensive threats) and a new RB who can be positive (which frees Riyad, or whoever replaces him) we'll the required uptick in chances to convert these games into wins. I think we've only seen flashes but Nacho & Vardy may work well together. Couple this with an improved defense (really want Mawson too), and I think that's a damn good side. 

How can you take comfort from the Everton game in regards to what he's trying to do? He is transitioning us and that was his very first game. It was as much a Shakespeare style of play than it was Puel's.

As for the Arsenal and Tottenham performances. If next season we play 38 games against teams who are on the beach and setup with high lines, spaces in between the lines and plenty of opportunities to counter then we will be fine. Of course, we won't. We played with attacking intensity in those matches because we were allowed to. Those kind of matches are not the issue and if you read too much into those performances you are papering over multitude of cracks that were visible for the months prior to those matches.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

For every West Ham and Palace at home there were Southampton and Newcastle away. I've seen enough games were our attacking flair and production was simply outstanding. This squad need surgery. Too many players who are well past their best are getting minutes. 

If you blame Puel for the dire performances then you must give credit for the sublime ones. A few of the Puel Out crowd are trying to credit the players for the Arsenal and Spurs attacking displays. 

If we sign the right players, like Peirera, then we are moving in the right direction.

Lastly, I do laugh at people who want Puel out because of negative and boring football then want Rafa in.

I think maybe they see that they are both a bit dull but Rafa actual wins a lot, people will put up with dull success, but not dull average.

Claude Puel   Rafael Benítez
Monaco   Extremadura
Ligue 1: 1999–2000   Segunda División promotion: 1997–98
Trophée des Champions: 2000   Tenerife
    Segunda División promotion: 2000–01
    Valencia
    La Liga: 2001–02, 2003–04
    UEFA Cup: 2003–04
    Liverpool
    FA Cup: 2005–06
    FA Community Shield: 2006
    UEFA Champions League: 2004–05
    UEFA Super Cup: 2005
    Inter Milan
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2010
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2010
    Chelsea
    UEFA Europa League: 2012–13
    Napoli
    Coppa Italia: 2013–14
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2014
    Newcastle United
    EFL Championship: 2016–17[136]
Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Albert said:

Regardless of early signings i’ll be shocked if he’s still here by the time preseason starts. 

Here's hoping we don't spend 25m on Perreira just to bring in a manager who prefers defenders like Simpson and hoofing.

2 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I can't believe people are still talking about Benitez.  He won't come here

Absolutely deluded. And none of the people keen on him would have wanted him if his name had been touted before about April.

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion that I want Puel to stay just so I don't have to spend the next couple of weeks on foxestalk refreshing every 5 minutes to see who the new manager is going to be.

Keep him, spend some money, see what happens. If the owners are looking to see who they can get before sacking him then I don't think that's fair, either back him or sack him, doesn't instil confidence in anyone.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I've come to the conclusion that I want Puel to stay just so I don't have to spend the next couple of weeks on foxestalk refreshing every 5 minutes to see who the new manager is going to be.

Keep him, spend some money, see what happens. If the owners are looking to see who they can get before sacking him then I don't think that's fair, either back him or sack him, doesn't instil confidence in anyone.

Maybe not fair but that's life and football, they did the same to Craig Shakespeare, but couldn't find anyone. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-manager-claude-puel-1576860

Well Clueless Claude is staying and wow he is encouraged by his first season with us and he claims the club have made progress. 5 wins in 21 games, dire football, one shot on target in a home game, square pegs round holes, lots of varying media outlets sighting poor communication with players, lack of intensity in training, constant squad rotation, don’t believe this will be far from the truth based on number of outlets reporting on this.

Progress - perhaps the younger players in respect to game time, some simply because of a lengthy injury list.

I have been a life long Foxes fan with blue blood running through the veins but was left bored, frustrated & angry with the rubbish that Puel dished up last season and even with a sprinkling of new summer arrivals I don’t see much changing next season. I will always support my team, but never this manager. I can’t say a positive thing about him and no longer listen to his media interviews as they bore me as much as his football. I’ve seen numerous poor managers down the years, but I’ve never felt so negative about one as I do about Puel. As much as i was massively underwhelmed when he was appointed I got behind him and after a good start when in truth he didn’t change too much, things took a big downhill slide when he began to impliment his own style and I’m not reading anything into our final two games of the season to give me belief  in the way ahead.

This is the first season where my 10 year old son has asked to leave games early as he too is bored, really don’t think he will want to go to games next season with Puel staying.

I bet Puel will say the same as he is now when we win 1 of our first 12 games next season.

I would love to see a hugely successful season to come, but struggle to see anything more than mid table or below.

If things do get off to a bad start, fans will want Puel gone early on as he has no grace period now, how many games does he get if a poor start occurs ?

I don’t think I’ve know a manager situation at our club before when our fans are so divided on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Everton home

Southampton away

Newcastle away

Chelsea away 

Huddersfield home

Watford home 

West Brom away

Tottenham home

Tottenham away

Arsenal home

Loads of very good attacking displays in those games.  It's not only the odd excellent attacking display tbh. 

There is a myth developing that it's been constant boring negative under Puel. Granted there has been many dire games as I've adimmitted earlier but some people are trying to rewrite history.

EDIT: I just wanna add that we are the highest scorers outside the top 6. We've scored 20 (twenty) more goals than Burnley. Yes it has been boring for many games but you'd  think we were WBA under Pulis by the reaction on here.

I'd add Stoke and Swansea at home to that list as well. Although both games ended up draws we done enough to win both of those games by two clear goals and dominated both teams. Sometimes you don't get the results you deserve.

What will be interesting if Pereira signs in the next couple of days and if Puel is there for his signing and announcement to the media. I find it's strange he's been told or is aware of we're looking for another manager but if we can't get an upgrade he can stay.

Guest Markyblue

Been some good performances been some dross without a doubt. Think 9th place allows him a summer window to bring some players in and move some out.sacking managers who get you 9th could be a slightly dangerous road to head down. I think it's called giving the bloke a chance. People wanted mo out after a few weeks and he turned out ok.

It would be pretty daft to reach the point where the manager can start shaping things to his likening and sack him at that point.

Otherwise, why not sack at the earliest opportunity to give a new man time to figure out where to strengthen the side and watch us live etc. And make moves with agents for targets.

Unless they've tapped someone up, which they haven't it wouldn't seem.

All these constant calls for clarification from the club are essentially people who want the manager to be sacked to see confirmation that their desire is true.

I'm coming to terms with Puel staying now. 

I think the owners needed to act as soon as the season finished or even before, if they wanted to change manager. 

The one area I feel fairly confident in with Puel, is his meticulous planning and I think that will actually be a positive in this transfer window. I am sure he has helped our scouting team identify what we need and we are hopefully well on the way to bringing in those targets.

He will rightly need a good start to the season and I expect if we don't start strongly, he will be gone after 15 games. He is probably well aware of this though and so I hope he has time to reflect this summer and acknowledges mistakes he has made throughout this season. 

I think his success will depend on how ruthless he is with the "old guard". Replace them and we should have a real buzz back amongst the supporters and renewed hope for the season ahead. I still have strong doubts about his ability to motivate and to implement his style or even if that style can break down teams on a consistent basis, but as I've always said, if he stays, then I will renew my hope and support him, then reassess after 10-15 games of next season. 

• Like 1

People are focusing only on the bad run we had

Never mind that Puel has done things 2 other managers failed to do: namely include a wider range of the squad and blooding in youngsters, also getting us to pass the ball around and actually play better football at times

All this whilst not adding to the squad except for Diabate, who btw Puel brought in and he is wicked

Not to mention this sexy looking RB who has worked under Puel before.

Loads to be positive about.  Anyone clamouring for change is asking for change for change's sake and there is no sure fire improvement out there for us

So get over it and get behind Fraud Puel

12 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Everyone keep listing Stoke and Swansea as really poor games, but we were really hard done by to only draw. If I remember correctly, we hit the post like 3 times combined, Iheanacho missed one from like 2 feet out (might have been another game?), Vardy missed at least one clear chance, and we had like 2 balls cleared off the line combined in those games. People need to understand that Puel can't run onto the pitch and kick the ball himself, a lot of our attacking has been top drawer. Losing form will happen every season, and the sooner people realise that, the better.

Those two and the Bournemouth game we had enough chances to win about 10 games. Granted, we started slowly in some of those games but we definitely improved as the game went on. I didn't walk away bored from any of those games, just bloody frustrated that we couldn't finish!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karl rudham said:

I will always support my team, but never this manager.

Oh don't be such a drama queen. We all know if he gets us into Europe or close to a Cup next year all of this will be forgotten by all bar the most stubborn minority of jackasses who can never bring themselves to admit they're wrong.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The way Benitez has played West Ham to get a better deal and bigger budget at Newcastle really tells you he doesn’t want to leave 

West Ham are exactly what I fear we'd end up being. Getting used left right and centre by managers who don't fancy that job and are using it to get themselves what they want. Just like Fonseca did to them as well. Their recruitment will drag on for weeks, and they'll probably end up with someone nowhere near the quality they thought at the start. By the time they get a manager the world cup kicks off so all their players deals won't happen until after wards

• Like 2

I'm not denying there are positive to Puel staying. He'll have a chance to build, as he claims he is a builder. We will avoid disruption and hopefully be able to get players in before the World Cup. It will help repair the reputation that he owners currently have for being quick to pull the trigger.

However, based on my opinions built up over 30+ games last season (not just the final two matches with nothing riding on them) I just can't see him surviving until Christmas. So much of what worried me about Puel has nothing to do with transitioning our style of play and I just can't see how those things won't surface again next season, turning everything back to the toxic atmosphere that existed post West Ham.

I understand peoples concerns with sacking yet another manager, but it will be a lot worse if we end up doing it in October or November, when the options are even more limited and the new man won't have a pre-season to implement his ideas.

If the owners have serious doubts, then pull the trigger now and avoid the likelihood of another mid-season managerial change.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Albert said:

Regardless of early signings i’ll be shocked if he’s still here by the time preseason starts. 

I have been hoping he’d be sacked.

I would be very surprised if he goes now though.

Its seems to me the Thais are as clueless as the Puel in brigade and most FTers, who after an end of season win and loss, turned from 88% in favour of sacking him to the majority wanting to keep the twat. ?

11 hours ago, knitro said:

I really get the sense that many of the Puel out crowd (which admittedly I nearly slipped into following the West Ham game) feel they can't backtrack now. I think it's okay to admit everyone's blood was up.  It seems pretty clear to me he's here for the duration of at least the beginning of next season, hope people can excited about the offensive output we saw when things were going well. I think our team is only a few players away from being top 6. 

Yeah like the last two games is his type of football ?

I would have thought people would be basing judgement on the last six months (relegation form against a raft of poor teams at home) as opposed to the last two games where the win was playing against 10 men for 90% of the game. And the other was a loss btw.

Quite the opposite to what you suggest I’m staggered how people have changed their opinion based on such flimsy evidence in two meaningless end of season games, which look like flukes; Ie, our play and tactics were nothing like the previous 30 games. 

??‍♂️

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 3