Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

44 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://talksport.com/football/who-will-be-next-west-ham-united-manager-hammers-set-make-move-newcastle-united-manager

West Ham set to make move for Rafa Benitez

Surely if they think they can get him, we have to be going in for him?

West Ham aren't known for spending particularly large sums of money and are in an absolute mess, Newcastle finished higher than them this season, there's absolutely no reason for him to move there. In fact, West Ham only spent ~£10m more this season than Newcastle did, whereas Leicester spent almost the same amount as both of those clubs combined, for example.

Edited by Beechey

7 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Think Puel is staying. 

Imagine the owners have had their faith dented this season, but he will be given the summer and 10-15 games of next season. 

Be useful if they came out and backed him again though, as there is still doubt out there that probably isn't helping. 

They did it two weeks ago via the media and the matchday program 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Be useful if they came out and backed him again though, as there is still doubt out there that probably isn't helping. 

They have. Problem is people interpret that as "the vote of confidence" and then think it means he's getting sacked.

• Like 1

I think we all need to move and accept he’s staying! Yes I didn’t like him much! But I’m quite intrigued to see the signings he will bring in! Maybe the no show of fans has given the players a kick up the backside! 

• Like 1

Rudkin and co are so naive and genuinely unambiguous I honestly have no faith in their ability to take any initiative regarding Benitez or any other prime manager

Really want to be proved wrong, don't want Puel but doubt we have an achievable plan B

Such a shame and probably yet again such a wasted opportunity 

My only real worry is his ability to attract top players to the club and sell his vision of where we are going ...    if we get turned down early on that may well hamper all future signings ...   on the other hand one good signing could be a springboard ...    here’s hoping.  :fc:

My feeling is he will be given the summer, but this subject to various goals he has to reach, this in terms of communication with players and the media, personnel choices, tactics and training methods (see our injury history this season under Puel).

The owners won't tolerate another four-month slump next season, and a lot has to do with clarifying/solving the Mahrez situation.

Does Riyad want to commit to the club again for another season, then switch next season, based on an inofficial mutual written agreement? Or does he leave in the upcoming few weeks? In that case, a right midfielder/winger with many of Mahrez' attributes has to be lined up rather quickly.

Not the biggest fan of Puel so far, he's been rather underwhelming and disappointing in many ways, but I could equally point the finger at some of our senior players for this past season's failures.

My only hope is that we perform better in this summer's transfer window and that Puel can live up to his image as a manager who improves in his second year at a new club.

Edited by MC Prussian

I'm not sure a decision has been made yet. As it stands nobody really knows whether he will survive, which is not a strong position to be in going into a transfer window. If the decision has been made to stick with him, the club will make that clear, probably via journalists such as John Percy.

The delay could be due to sounding out suitable replacements. They won't want to ditch Puel only to realise that their top targets aren't possible.

I think the fact they haven't announced season ticket prices yet is telling.

I think where Puel and the owners see eye to eye is the fact that we're a side very much in need of rebuilding. I think it's universally recognised now that a number of ageing players will have a much smaller role, if any next season. He's gone a long way in remedying this by placing a lot of faith in Gray, Diabate, Chilwell and more recently Choudhury. This is vital for the club and those players and although some of the football has been dire, we're back to a work in progress again. I think it's great that he's not tried to firefight by buying like for like replacements in a rushed January transfer window as this only worsens the underlying issue. The gradual progression to a young, athletic and dynamic squad is in progress and even Puel's biggest doubters (myself included at times) can see that. He said from the offset that Leicester is a project as opposed to a short term job. 

As a mid-table club aiming to push for the top 7, playing against both different styles of opponent (teams that will attack us and teams that will sit back) is a difficult approach. We have players who will keep the ball and with a solid pre-season, I'm confident that this can transform slowly into a side that can turn the possession into end product. 

Puel was well within his rights to remind us all about what's happened at Southampton since his departure. No structure, no game plan and poor transfers. Giving a full pre-season to a guy who's trying to build something with strong foundations is logical in my opinion. In reality, Pearson's approach to managing the club wasn't that far off Puel's - he brought good players at sensible prices and instilled a style and ethic that eventually lead to our most successful period. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

They have. Problem is people interpret that as "the vote of confidence" and then think it means he's getting sacked.

Oh come on. That was very much a token gesture for the final 3 games. There is still a lot of doubt out there amongst fans and the media.

I'm not saying they need another official statement, but certainly should hint at our summer plans with Puel in charge etc. 

Everything in the media suggests he is 50/50... The owners or even himself with permission from the owners should declare he is staying and plans for the summer and next season are in motion etc etc..

22 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Oh come on. That was very much a token gesture for the final 3 games.

They didn't have to say anything. You'll never get a definitive statement, because things can change so quickly.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They didn't have to say anything. You'll never get a definitive statement, because things can change so quickly.

For me it's simple. There's still a large amount of doubt about his future in the media and amongst fans. That doubt is not helpful, especially not for Puel himself when he is trying to keep players on board and bring other players in.

The owners or management need to make it clear now that they intend to keep him this summer, to eradicate any of that unhelpful doubt still surrounding our club. 

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

My feeling is he will be given the summer, but this subject to various goals he has to reach, this in terms of communication with players and the media, personnel choices, tactics and training methods (see our injury history this season under Puel).

The owners won't tolerate another four-month slump next season, and a lot has to do with clarifying/solving the Mahrez situation.

Does Riyad want to commit to the club again for another season, then switch next season, based on an inofficial mutual written agreement? Or does he leave in the upcoming few weeks? In that case, a right midfielder/winger with many of Mahrez' attributes has to be lined up rather quickly.

Not the biggest fan of Puel so far, he's been rather underwhelming and disappointing in many ways, but I could equally point the finger at some of our senior players for this past season's failures.

My only hope is that we perform better in this summer's transfer window and that Puel can live up to his image as a manager who improves in his second year at a new club.

.....BBC Radio Leicester had a journalist on from France and asked about Puels' record in respect of a second season. The journalist replied that there are no improvements in respect of Puels' club managerial history in respect of his second season. That is not what he does!!!!

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....BBC Radio Leicester had a journalist on from France and asked about Puels' record in respect of a second season. The journalist replied that there are no improvements in respect of Puels' club managerial history in respect of his second season. That is not what he does!!!!

Meh, doesnt really mean anything.  Ranieri was known for having never won the league before coming to us

Looks like Puel will get a chance with some new players to aid him.  We all know he will be gone by Christmas if we're not performing

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

It was tongue-in-cheek more than anything, an urban myth by people who've so far been unfazed by Puel's fallacies.

How are you supposed to do better with Monaco after winning the Ligue 1 title or Olympique Lyonnais who won the league seven times in a row?

He did improve Lille's record in his second season (10th from 14th in the season before - then 2nd and 3rd in the two subsequent seasons), Nice was a rocky road, the first and last season something to celebrate.

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

For me it's even simpler, if he's here he's our manager. If he's not, then he's not.

Yet you're still not sure if he will be our manager next season are you? Nor will the players or new potential signings be, with all the doubt being circled around. 

Any doubt is easily taken care of by even an unofficial statement or just a comment by those above about next season WITH Puel. 

Easy fix. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-news-claude-puel-1568987

Sums it up nicely. 

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Yet you're still not sure if he will be our manager next season are you? Nor will the players or new potential signings be, with all the doubt being circled around. 

Any doubt is easily taken care of by even an unofficial statement or just a comment by those above about next season WITH Puel. 

Easy fix. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-news-claude-puel-1568987

Sums it up nicely. 

I don't know whether I'll be alive tomorrow, but I don't spend every second worrying and fretting about it. The doubt is in your head only.

They've made a statement backing him a couple of weeks ago, he's still manager, we're signing his targets. Not sure what more people need to know.

Potential signings and current players don't need statements, they can ask direct questions if they want to. Same goes for Puel, the only people who want a public statement are the press for a story, or fans who have nothing better to do.

I don't really care, he's manager until told otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1