Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Puel In or Out - A simple Poll

Puel In or Out?  

707 members have voted

1. 1. Puel In or Out?

• In
    • Out

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

We still look better than when we were under Shakey. By a country mile.

Yes I do agree with you here! Which is why I still hope it works out for him. I feel that this style could evolve into a successful one, if we pick up the tempo and urgency in our play. Less backward passing, more movement and more looking for the incisive pass.

What is frustrating is that we looked better in Puel's first 10 or so games than in his last 10.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

Levein beats him hands down for me. Doubled with the fact Levein was a shite player whilst CP seems to have been pretty decent and has actually achieved things in his managerial career.

I also personally prefer a manager who gives the press nothing to beat him over the head with, that's just smart.

Exactly. A press conference is to inform, not to entertain.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chapero82 said:

That’s one game though! In a whole the last 16 games have been awful to watch! 

And the palace home game was far worse I reckon! 

Our last 16 we have won 6, lost 5, drawn 5. I don't think that's the worst ever. I really think we need to be careful what we wish for. 

Quite a few of those games you can call out the finishing of the players not bringing us the win. As much as people talk about the stoke/bournemouth/swansea games we had a ridiculous amount of attempts on goal and couldn't finish them. That isn't down to management - that's the players. Between the Stoke and Bournemouth games we had 43 attempts on goal but scored 2, one being a free kick. if they had picked up 3 points in those three games I don't think anyone would be having this discussion right now. 

• Like 1

I have made it clear in other threads that I want Puel to stay and be given a chance to build his own team.

That sacking managers is short-termism, which will eventually get us relegated.

However, even I can see that Puel might be in a bit of trouble if we lose heavily at home to Southampton.

I reckon that a defeat by two or more goals and a "he's lost the dressing room" performance, might make the clamour loud enough for the owners to pull the trigger.

Of course, I hope none of this comes to pass, ie. that we don't pull another Crystal Palace-esque game out the hat, but weird things seem to happen to Leicester City.

• Like 1

Sacking him would be incredibly stupid and the owners, who have proven that they can't attract elite managers will become a laughing stock for managers and will be down to the dregs of prem failure managers. We need stability at manager position for at least 2 or 3 years.

btw where's the option Puel shake it all about?

On 16/04/2018 at 12:55, Raw Dykes said:

I'm pretty torn on whether Puel should stay or not. I'm not at all impressed with recent results or performances. I think the football is awful to watch for the most part. However, I think we have an opportunity to give a manager time to alter our style, and should probably make the most of it.

I'm not a big fan of Puel so far, but I have to disagree with a few points you made.

Albrighton can play either side of midfield, he's right-footed and he does have defensive attributes. I think he's suited to right back at least as much as Drago and Benny, who are both centre-halves primarily. Amartey's injured, and was first choice when he was last fit, IIRC. Benny's okay on his day, but they are way too few and far between, and he's also a total bombscare. It's no surprise to me that he's nowhere near the first team. I've no idea whether Drago can even play right back. Simpson's done well for us, but he's getting old now, and absolutely doesn't fit into what Puel's trying to do. Albrighton could easily be the best candidate we currently have available for the RB spot. I don't think it's at all bizarre that he sometimes plays there. Out of interest, who would you play at RB after Simpson?

You're right - we do have no height up front, but are you really suggesting we shoehorn Ulloa or Slimani into the first XI just to remedy that? I'd think it was bizarre if either of them were getting in the team.

I don't know if we even can recall King. Do you? Even if we could, would he have played any better than Choudhury did on Saturday? I doubt it, myself.

I think some of Puel's decisions are puzzling, but the ones you mentioned I find perfectly understandable. I don't really think it's fair to criticise him for these.

You make some very interesting points and that’s the beauty of football we all have differing opinions 

benny I totally agree with he has been a car crash since his first game and is £6m wasted. 

Ulloa yes id play him I could never understand how Slimani and Musa were ever ahead of him in the pecking order. Slimani I would never allow to put on our shirt again 

at right back dragovic did play that position for us earlier in the season and I can’t recall which game it was so I do apologise. Simpson has done very well for us as has Fuchs but I do feel we should buy 2 quality full backs in the summer 

I am sure amartay was not injured he was simply not selected however I may be wrong although tbh I am not overly kean on him at right back either that side always seams to be under pressure because of mahrez drifting and leaving large gaps to cover when he loses the ball 

roll on the summer this seasons over

now I think after Thursday we will know more if he loses then he will be replaced if not he needs to start preparing for next season with early signings on day one of the window 

On 4/16/2018 at 15:15, chapero82 said:

That’s one game though! In a whole the last 16 games have been awful to watch! 

And the palace home game was far worse I reckon! 

We were awful to watch when Pearson took over from Sven, around the same time of the season Puel too over from CS. He struggled with the players he had, to get them doing what he wanted and playing the way he wanted. Should we have sacked Pearson at the end of that season? It took him 18 months or more to get the team playing the way he asked consistently.

Now, there is no guarantee that all managers will get things right, given the time. So, it's important owners make decisions based not just on results. But on whether they think the manager is trying to do things the right way and that they believe his long term stratergy is the correct one.

In that respect, I believe Puel has the right ideas. We know he encourages and trusts youth players, we know his ideas for the same football across all age groups is the best way of letting them flow into the first team. The style he wants will be decent to watch I believe, with the correct players to play that system.

I'm worried like everyone else by our performances, I have no idea is he'll be a success or not. I do think he's trying to go about things the right way.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm worried like everyone else by our performances, I have no idea is he'll be a success or not. I do think he's trying to go about things the right way.

I have no idea either. ... but on balance i dont think i would go further with puel and let him start spending.

I think he is a good technical manager... though his in game decisions are a bit hesitant.

My opinion is based on a lack of leadership.  Btw i was not a pearson fan for technical reasons....but his leaderdhip and man management is very good 

30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We were awful to watch when Pearson took over from Sven, around the same time of the season Puel too over from CS. He struggled with the players he had, to get them doing what he wanted and playing the way he wanted. Should we have sacked Pearson at the end of that season? It took him 18 months or more to get the team playing the way he asked consistently.

Now, there is no guarantee that all managers will get things right, given the time. So, it's important owners make decisions based not just on results. But on whether they think the manager is trying to do things the right way and that they believe his long term stratergy is the correct one.

In that respect, I believe Puel has the right ideas. We know he encourages and trusts youth players, we know his ideas for the same football across all age groups is the best way of letting them flow into the first team. The style he wants will be decent to watch I believe, with the correct players to play that system.

I remember us being hit and miss initially when NP returned, but we showed sign of progression as the season went on.

The next season we were brilliant for the first half of the season, but then fell away from Feb onwards.

I honestly believe if we end the season badly he will be gone. The owners have always sacked managers before it gets the point where the fans are vocally against them and always before the media expects them too.

If by the end of the season he has lost the faith of most of the fans, rightly or wrongly, he has an uphill task next season to win us around.

I'm still torn on what I would do if I was the owners, but I can't help but feel like we all need a new era that we can ALL get behind and get excited about. It's been so flat this season and the stands are full of apathy. We need something fresh and exciting to unite us. I'm not sure Puel can bring that, especially considering the current mood towards him from a lot of fans.

If I was Jon Rudkin (shudders) I would be on the search for a manager that can continue this evolution of style, but also rejuvenate a flat fanbase. Maybe that man is not available, but I'd be looking.

7 hours ago, Mark - Reading said:

You make some very interesting points and that’s the beauty of football we all have differing opinions 

benny I totally agree with he has been a car crash since his first game and is £6m wasted. 

Ulloa yes id play him I could never understand how Slimani and Musa were ever ahead of him in the pecking order. Slimani I would never allow to put on our shirt again 

at right back dragovic did play that position for us earlier in the season and I can’t recall which game it was so I do apologise. Simpson has done very well for us as has Fuchs but I do feel we should buy 2 quality full backs in the summer 

I am sure amartay was not injured he was simply not selected however I may be wrong although tbh I am not overly kean on him at right back either that side always seams to be under pressure because of mahrez drifting and leaving large gaps to cover when he loses the ball 

roll on the summer this seasons over

now I think after Thursday we will know more if he loses then he will be replaced if not he needs to start preparing for next season with early signings on day one of the window 

It was Watford away and he wasn’t good

he pulled his hamstring against Bournemouth 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It was Watford away and he wasn’t good

he pulled his hamstring against Bournemouth 

Simpson was injured and Amartey was suspended after being sent off against.

Dragovic is not a right back.

57 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I have no idea either. ... but on balance i dont think i would go further with puel and let him start spending.

I think he is a good technical manager... though his in game decisions are a bit hesitant.

My opinion is based on a lack of leadership.  Btw i was not a pearson fan for technical reasons....but his leaderdhip and man management is very good 

We don't really know what he's like, how people appear in front of the camera isn't always what he's like behind the scenes. You read what someone like Henry said about him and he was glowing about him as a person.

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

Explain why.

we all have different opinions I felt craig needed more time personally and I’ve been saying give Claude till the end of the season but have changed my mind as we need to start building for next season as this season is over

We had a poor start to the season mainly due to the teams we played. 4 of the current top 5 teams in first 6 games was always going to be tough 

we always looked dangerous and up for games (bar wba home) now it’s just so boring we don’t look a threat until the second half usually after we have gone behind and chasing the game 

constant back passing, side passing and arguing with each other. Constant shouting at the bench by Morgan and Maguire It’s so clear no one wants to be there and maybe it’s time to move them on 

1 shot in goal in a game (Newcastle) is unacceptable the games are boring to watch and that’s shown with the number of primetime global tv picks between now and the end of the season and the complete lack of atmosphere on match days 

I travel over 100 miles each way to watch paint dry well tonight I have decided I can’t be bothered; so my brother is using my season ticket. 

27 seasons and I’ve missed 4 home games in the last 3 seasons usually caused by holidays or work commitments; never before have I not wanted to attend and I am sure there are many like me at the minute, I hope the boys win and I’ll be watching from home 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Don’t get me wrong I want him to be successful and me be completely wrong I just don’t have much confidence in him! 

6 minutes ago, Mark - Reading said:

we all have different opinions I felt craig needed more time personally and I’ve been saying give Claude till the end of the season but have changed my mind as we need to start building for next season as this season is over

We had a poor start to the season mainly due to the teams we played. 4 of the current top 5 teams in first 6 games was always going to be tough 

we always looked dangerous and up for games (bar wba home) now it’s just so boring we don’t look a threat until the second half usually after we have gone behind and chasing the game 

constant back passing, side passing and arguing with each other. Constant shouting at the bench by Morgan and Maguire It’s so clear no one wants to be there and maybe it’s time to move them on 

1 shot in goal in a game (Newcastle) is unacceptable the games are boring to watch and that’s shown with the number of primetime global tv picks between now and the end of the season and the complete lack of atmosphere on match days 

I travel over 100 miles each way to watch paint dry well tonight I have decided I can’t be bothered; so my brother is using my season ticket. 

27 seasons and I’ve missed 4 home games in the last 3 seasons usually caused by holidays or work commitments; never before have I not wanted to attend and I am sure there are many like me at the minute, I hope the boys win and I’ll be watching from home 

I thought we looked dangerously shite under Shakey as soon as safety was confirmed last season. Great bloke and I'm sure a decent coach but no way a manager. 

Claude does not look inept and I think a lot of the time protects the players in his post game comments. As I've mentioned in another thread (I think) we are creating a mountain of chances but not putting them away. Something likes 200+ attempts on goal in last 16 games with only 24 of those being converted - 5 of those against Peterborough. I'd say that was a player problem not management. Lets not forget that we have actually played some fantastic football under Puel:

Tottenham at home

Everton at home

Southampton away

West Brom Away

Chelsea Away etc.

We are in a run of medium form with players that will be shifted on in the summer. Sure the cup competitions weren't the results we wanted but we showed we can push for them and with improvement we will get further. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tiredclimb said:

I thought we looked dangerously shite under Shakey as soon as safety was confirmed last season. Great bloke and I'm sure a decent coach but no way a manager. 

Claude does not look inept and I think a lot of the time protects the players in his post game comments. As I've mentioned in another thread (I think) we are creating a mountain of chances but not putting them away. Something likes 200+ attempts on goal in last 16 games with only 24 of those being converted - 5 of those against Peterborough. I'd say that was a player problem not management. Lets not forget that we have actually played some fantastic football under Puel:

Tottenham at home

Everton at home

Southampton away

West Brom Away

Chelsea Away etc.

We are in a run of medium form with players that will be shifted on in the summer. Sure the cup competitions weren't the results we wanted but we showed we can push for them and with improvement we will get further. 

Lets hope you are right fella; we need a massive change of personnel because this reminds me of the Peter Taylor years with everyone saying about style and give him time and players time to adapt after such a good start and we know what happened there! if we get hammered 0-5 on day one next season it will be like dejavous lol

19 minutes ago, Mark - Reading said:

Lets hope you are right fella; we need a massive change of personnel because this reminds me of the Peter Taylor years with everyone saying about style and give him time and players time to adapt after such a good start and we know what happened there! if we get hammered 0-5 on day one next season it will be like dejavous lol

I understand peoples issues with the games but in my view the players should be taking as much flack. Think how many chances we had to win that stoke game! Not to mention numerous others we have dropped points in. Puel is a far more qualified manager than Peter Taylor. Not to mention the club are in a FAR better position in every aspect than 2001. 

9 hours ago, Mark - Reading said:

Wat. You would not let Slimani wear the shirt again, but Ulloa is fine.. Which one threw the strop and said they never want to play for us again on Sky Sports lol 

50 minutes ago, Mark - Reading said:

Puel is nothing like Peter Taylor. It soon became apparent that Taylor was an absolute clown of a manager. Even when we topped the PL in October under Taylor we looked terrible. He's the worst manager the club has ever had.

I also disagree with your opinion of Shakespeare. After the first couple of months when he done excellent it soon became apparent he was out of his depth. He had no original ideas of his own. He completely lost the plot when Spurs beat us 1-6 at home and I had no idea what he was trying to do with his substitutions. I think he just kept on throwing attacking players on with no plan whatsoever and just hoped they would do something, he was bluffing it IMO.

His squad management in bringing in Iheanacho looked ill thought out as well. If you're going to bring in a 6th first team forward for £25m you either need to be selling some of the others or that player needs to be an automatic choice. I was also angry at Shakey bringing Iheanacho on for James on the 83rd minute when we were 3-2 up away at Arsenal. IMO it was terrible management as I believe it was a preconceived idea to give Iheanacho some minutes regardless of the situation. If we'd have lost 4-3 trying to shut up shop I could accept that but taking off a midfielder for a forward at that stage was stupid.

I've seen enough of Puel to be convinced he needs more time to finish what he has started. It's a big plus point for me his January business in just bringing in a young promising player but actively trying to offload the deadwood at the club like Ulloa, Slimani and King. I also think it was a good idea to allow the current squad to try and adapt to his style of football. He will be much wiser this summer who should stay and go.

Whilst we have had some terrible football under Puel we've also had some scintillating stuff as well. He's not just talking a good game with no proof of evidence but there has been many examples of us playing the football he is striving for. I expect a big player turnover this summer with three or four good signings and a good 6-8 players attempted to be shown the door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

We don't really know what he's like, how people appear in front of the camera isn't always what he's like behind the scenes. You read what someone like Henry said about him and he was glowing about him as a person.

I think we're going to find out