Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Happy St George's Day

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, BirminghamFox said:

Even though St George wasn’t English :ph34r:

I don't think many patron saints were actually born in the nation they are celebrated, St Patrick was British but you don't get everyone telling the Irish that 100 times in the middle of March.

11 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

To quote David Schneider:

Bloody immigrants, coming over here*, slaying our dragons and becoming our patron saints!

* yes I know he didn't come over here.

We didn't have any dragons either like Santa they are not real. lol lol Oh and the tooth fairy was your mum or your dad lol lol 

Nationalistic Bullshit.

Only countries with a chip on their shoulder need "national" days to try and prove something.

We don't need one - even worse it's the day of some foolish roman religious zealot. We could do without zealots let alone lauding them.

Edit: and sylo - this should be in Gen chat you northerner.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

I don't think many patron saints were actually born in the nation they are celebrated, St Patrick was British but you don't get everyone telling the Irish that 100 times in the middle of March.

I've learned something today. :thumbup:

According to Wiki, Paddy was indeed British, captured by Irish pirates as a 16-year-old, then returned to Ireland as a missionary.....though he may have been conflated with one Deacon Palladius, a prominent Gaul with influence in Rome.

As for St. George's Day, I think it would be good if it was a proper national day and public holiday - and an excuse for light-hearted celebration and social bonding. England is an interesting, diverse country with a lot to offer in music, culture, identity, humour and much else - and an interesting history, which should be a cause for neither nationalistic glorification nor wet liberal angst. We need something to bring us together more - too much social division of every kind just now.

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

I take it we are allowed to celebrate our national day on here.

:rolleyes:

I know that Saint George beat the Nazis so that you personally had the freedom of speech to say that, but seriously why be a dick about it? Feel free to celebrate it, although a strongly doubt you will, you are more interested in making a pointless.*

Sometimes I wish the dragon had won.

*that is a point that nobody cares about.

25 minutes ago, FIF said:

Nationalistic Bullshit.

Only countries with a chip on their shoulder need "national" days to try and prove something.

FFSFIF that's why you have a posting ration!

Edited by Captain...

28 minutes ago, FIF said:

Nationalistic Bullshit.

We don't need one - even worse it's the day of some foolish roman religious zealot. We could do without zealots let alone lauding them.

Edit: and sylo - this should be in Gen chat you northerner.

It needn't be nationalistic. 

That's part of the problem with St George's day. What it needs above all else is a PR makeover. 

It's biggest problem now is that lots of people, including white English people, associate it with moron nationalist football hooligans who just want an excuse to shout Ingurlund, wear an England football shirt, have the day off (if they even work) and drink Carling in the sun. 

St George's day needs a bit of a rebrand, some tlc, needs to be seen as what it should be - a celebration of England past and present, a celebration for everyone that lives here. I mean there's a lot to be happy about living in England. 

The idea of an ethnic English to be celebrated is stupid, just as the idea of celebrating being ethnically Welsh or Scottish. But there's plenty of culture on our island from the dark ages to the 21st century that could benefit from a day of recognition and celebration. 

What's wrong with that? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm personally infinitely more offended by the army of knuckledraggers moaning that they aren't allowed to celebrate St George's day every year than I am by St George's day. 

Every year, instead of just chilling out and enjoying their saints day, it's another boring moan about political correctness when literally nobody is oppressing them. Get over it ffs. More victim complex than Sean Dyche. 

To everyone not having a sarcy moan - happy St George's day, hope the sun comes out for any of you in beer gardens today. 

PS: I'm with Nalis. Bank Holiday please! 

pipe down daffodil shagger :englandsmile4wf:

:pearson:

Edited by Wookie
  • Haha 1