Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Happy St George's Day

That's the worst part though, the people that harp on about how they're not allowed to celebrate it generally talk about how they are celebrating it in the same pissing sentence. 

No reason why you can't enjoy the day without turning it into some sort of issue on either side. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

William Shakespeare's birthday should be celebrated higher up considering we use words and phrases he coined. Far more important than some geezer from the far east who never visited England didn't kill a made up dragon.

You can definitely kill a made up dragon mate. Anyone can. I just did it a few minutes ago. It was great. I highly recommend it.

There's something very un English about ce!berating these things. It's not racist or anything like that but flag waving, Morris dancing, real ale and Yorkshire pudding? Leave all that bollox to the foreigners, we're above such things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

There's something very un English about ce!berating these things. It's not racist or anything like that but flag waving, Morris dancing, real ale and Yorkshire pudding? Leave all that bollox to the foreigners, we're above such things.

Agree but don't know why Yorkshire Pudding is in that list. Liking Yorkshire pudding is a basic British value imo. It should be on the citizenship test. Don't like Yorkshire's? Back you go then. Better luck next time.

Guest MattP
24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Definitely something in this I agree.

Professor Starkey once said the same, of we go down the route of celebrating a national day we become a small irrelevant country like the Scots, Irish and the Welsh.

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Professor Starkey once said the same, of we go down the route of celebrating a national day we become a small irrelevant country like the Scots, Irish and the Welsh.

We are a nation of contrary, argumentative, underdog loving, wonderful, free thinking people.

I'm pretty sure celebrating Saint George's day was never a big issue until people felt like they were being told they couldn't celebrate it, even though nobody was saying that.

If it became a popular mainstream cultural event then it would be greeted with scorn, contempt and terabyte's worth of cringe gifs and yet everyone would still use it as an excuse for a piss up.

Finnegan is right Saint George's day could do with some serious PR, or just binning it off with it's bloody dragons, Syrians and religious connotations and we create a whole new England is great day, fvck it lets do it on the day we officially leave the EU.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

I like what he says, but not as he intends. I think it would be great if lots of people (including women) dressed up for the day in a national costume of velvet knickerbockers, lace collars and Van Dyke beards.

It would be an expression of our famed English sense of humour.

Alternatively, I suppose we could trim the hedge, wash the car, do some unpaid overtime for the boss, read the Daily Mail, then grumble mildly to one another about taxes and the weather?

Come on, you killjoys! Corbyn has enough bad ideas, but his 4 public holidays for the 4 UK nations sounds a great idea: social bonding, local bands playing live in the park, an ale tent, recitations of the work of English writers, stalls selling curry, filled Yorkshire puddings, Polish sausages & Baklava, all bringing together the races and generations....then, after dark, a big drunken brawl among the middle-aged white blokes, while the youth stabbed one another and sold drugs.

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

We are a nation of contrary, argumentative, underdog loving, wonderful, free thinking people.

I'm pretty sure celebrating Saint George's day was never a big issue until people felt like they were being told they couldn't celebrate it, even though nobody was saying that.

If it became a popular mainstream cultural event then it would be greeted with scorn, contempt and terabyte's worth of cringe gifs and yet everyone would still use it as an excuse for a piss up.

Finnegan is right Saint George's day could do with some serious PR, or just binning it off with it's bloody dragons, Syrians and religious connotations and we create a whole new England is great day, fvck it lets do it on the day we officially leave the EU.

I think different people will want to do different things though - you can't really try and make it something for everybody.

If this was a Saturday I'd be out having a few pints and the football, tonight I'll probably have some food, a wander down the local and maybe read a bit of literature. Last year we had Morris Dancers and it was quite good; especially learning about the different clans etc

I personally don't want it turning into some shocking day of stereotype like as Paddy's Day with vomit all over the street and everyone thinking being and celebrating being English is about necking back as much Carling.

Certainly don't tangle it up with anything to do with the European Union - it's absolutely nothing to do with that in any way and two of the four countries of the UK voted to remain!

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Well!!  Knock me down with a pigs bladder on a stick..

With an hop,skip and a twirl..

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

I personally don't want it turning into some shocking day of stereotype like as Paddy's Day with vomit all over the street and everyone thinking being and celebrating being English is about necking back as much Carling.

Strongly agree, there is nothing more English than doing your own thing in your own way.

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

Certainly don't tangle it up with anything to do with the European Union - it's absolutely nothing to do with that in any way and two of the four countries of the UK voted to remain!

My tongue was clearly firmly in my cheek on that one, but the point remains if we are going to celebrate Englishness why have it tied into a confusing figure of history and mythology that the only thing that is certain about him is that he wasn't English and had most likely never even visited here. He was Catholic, certainly not CofE (the religion of our country). The only link to our shores that I can find in admittedly limited research was that he appeared to our soldiers during the crusades (not our finest moment in history).

So why not ditch the foreign dragon slayer and pick another day to celebrate Englishness, why not tie it into an unequivocal representation of British culture, William Shakespeare, why not celebrate on his birthday instead or the day he died. That would make much more sense.

Edited by Captain...

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

No word of a lie I didn't even know it was St George's day until just now when I clicked on this thread, gone all day without anybody mentioning it.  No idea how such an irrelevant day can spark so much discussion.

Boredom, they should organise a parade to distract us so we don't argue all day.

55 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is an interesting point.

It is far easy to define culture and what it means to be that particular nationality if you are a smaller country. This applies further than Great Britain; Spain/France/Germany are huge countries yet their regions celebrate their origins more rather than the whole country.

Where their national days do occur, there is normally an occurrence of an event to celebrate. 

France have Bastille Day as their national day.

Spain have Columbus Day as their national day. 

Germany have Unification Day as their national day.  

I'd say St Georges Day lacks that event which unites the celebration and equally an definition of 'Englishness' is difficult to do (if you said two people celebrate what it means being English - one person would think warm beer and morris dancing, another person would think Curry and Ska music). 

This forum can find the smallest things to argue about.

People who complain about others not supporting their celebrations need to grow up. and the ones who complain about what others celebrate need to mind their own business.

Your life; your choice. As long as it's on your time and it ain't hurting anybody, knock yourself out. The world is big enough for all of us.

1 hour ago, the fox said:

This forum can find the smallest things to argue about.

People who complain about others not supporting their celebrations need to grow up. and the ones who complain about what others celebrate need to mind their own business.

Your life; your choice. As long as it's on your time and it ain't hurting anybody, knock yourself out. The world is big enough for all of us.

No we can’t.....:mad:

• Haha 1

I primarily identify as being English and then British to a lesser extent, what I dislike is that it's ok to be seen as proud of being British but if you're proud to be English you're widely associated with "the sun england flag outside your council house drinking a carling" types, obviously those sorts exist but England as country is fantastic yet the response to claims to celebrate St. George's day more is "Well we don't need to" which is shame.