Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Happy St George's Day

We should all be proud to celebrate St George's day, no matter what faith or religion we are and we should all be proud to fly the English flag and not be seen as racists or bigots because we are proud English people. we live in a multi cultural society were all religious and faith ceremonies are welcomed and celebrated and St Georges day should be no different.

2 hours ago, BirminghamFox said:

Even though St George wasn’t English :ph34r:

He's my favourite Syrian!

It gets a bad rap but being proud of what we create together isn't bad: the NHS, the Premier League, our music industry, our ale industry.

Edited by Foxxed

Remember when that bloke said we should do more to celebrate it and then when quizzed on what he said Morris dancing at Abbey Park? lol

Pretty sure it was the same guy that was on some ultra nationalist forum under the same username

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wookie said:

Remember when that bloke said we should do more to celebrate it and then when quizzed on what he said Morris dancing at Abbey Park? lol

Pretty sure it was the same guy that was on some ultra nationalist forum under the same username

He did have some shit ideas and he was an EDL supporting tit. 

Don't see the problem with Morris dancing at Abbey Park though. Culture doesn't exclusively mean folk music and dance, brit pop and punk are as much English culture as greensleeves and Shakespeare but it'd be cool to see the English embrace their folk roots a bit more too. 

All of this said, I do think the English get a bit envious of something that doesn't really exist when it comes to St Paddy's though. I mean, being really honest, the Irish don't ACTUALLY have a day to celebrate their culture and heritage, they have a day of being exploited by clever marketing men to make money scamming yanks and other plastic paddies. 

34 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Feel free to celebrate it, although a strongly doubt you will, 

lol lol lol lol Just goes to show what a poor judge you are. The last time St George's day was on a Monday I set out a whole weekend of events and music. Starting midday Friday through to close on Monday. Music from songs that one the war to present day. Great British films shown and iconic sporting moments. It was my locals busiest weekend that year.

But no I just love to moan. lol lol lol 

4 minutes ago, sylofox said:

lol lol lol lol Just goes to show what a poor judge you are. The last time St George's day was on a Monday I set out a whole weekend of events and music. Starting midday Friday through to close on Monday. Music from songs that one the war to present day. Great British films shown and iconic sporting moments. It was my locals busiest weekend that year.

Songs that won the war? 

Mate, if songs won wars, you'd be speaking Welsh and eating seaweed* right now because we'd have conquered the world already. 

(edit: and shagging daffodils, sorry @Wookie

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Songs that won the war? 

Mate, if songs won wars, you'd be speaking Welsh and eating seaweed right now because we'd have conquered the world already. 

I did put that some of it was British not just English.

56 minutes ago, sylofox said:

...and did anyone complain? try and stop you? call you a racist?

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

It needn't be nationalistic. 

That's part of the problem with St George's day. What it needs above all else is a PR makeover. 

It's biggest problem now is that lots of people, including white English people, associate it with moron nationalist football hooligans who just want an excuse to shout Ingurlund, wear an England football shirt, have the day off (if they even work) and drink Carling in the sun. 

St George's day needs a bit of a rebrand, some tlc, needs to be seen as what it should be - a celebration of England past and present, a celebration for everyone that lives here. I mean there's a lot to be happy about living in England. 

The idea of an ethnic English to be celebrated is stupid, just as the idea of celebrating being ethnically Welsh or Scottish. But there's plenty of culture on our island from the dark ages to the 21st century that could benefit from a day of recognition and celebration. 

What's wrong with that? 

:appl:

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

All of this said, I do think the English get a bit envious of something that doesn't really exist when it comes to St Paddy's though. 

Very true. There is no definite description of what it is to be English and how people describe that and how they’d celebrate it   vastly differs from person to person. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm personally infinitely more offended by the army of knuckledraggers moaning that they aren't allowed to celebrate St George's day every year than I am by St George's day. 

Every year, instead of just chilling out and enjoying their saints day, it's another boring moan about political correctness when literally nobody is oppressing them. Get over it ffs. More victim complex than Sean Dyche. 

To everyone not having a sarcy moan - happy St George's day, hope the sun comes out for any of you in beer gardens today. 

PS: I'm with Nalis. Bank Holiday please! 

Basically this.  X

William Shakespeare's birthday should be celebrated higher up considering we use words and phrases he coined. Far more important than some geezer from the far east who never visited England didn't kill a made up dragon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

William Shakespeare's birthday should be celebrated higher up considering we use words and phrases he coined. Far more important than some geezer from the far east who never visited England didn't kill a made up dragon.

No Dragons are real pal

• Like 1

Finnegan's right. Nobody stops anybody celebrating the day if they want to.

The sort of people who actually want to celebrate it probably have 'Sun - South Africa 2010' souvenir St George flags hanging out their council house window all year around anyway. They'll go down to their local flat-roofed pub and drink Carling just like they do four nights in any given week.