Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Ben Gibson - Burnley

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He was rated higher than Maguire a year a go and now is valued at £50m less.

That’s fine, but I’d imagine Maguire is ‘rated’ (whatever that means) higher than Gibson currently, and is around £75m in market value. Imo he’s not as good.

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

He's two years younger than Maguire.

Where was Maguire two years ago?

Maguire wasn’t as good two years ago, as Maguire is now. 

Look, what I’m simply saying is Gibson isn’t as good as Maguire. He may well turn out to be. But imo, at the moment, he ain’t.

1 hour ago, Edingleyfox said:

However they are strongly linked with Southampton/Burnley and I don't think we can assume they would come running to us - particularly if they see a likely exodus of our best players

Because they keep of all of their best players... :D

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Maguire wasn’t as good two years ago, as Maguire is now. 

Look, what I’m simply saying is Gibson isn’t as good as Maguire. He may well turn out to be. But imo, at the moment, he ain’t.

That's great - so there is room for improvement.

Coupled with the fact that we seem to put more emphasis on younger players (many of which we can sell for good money later on, once they come good), one or two aspiring and talented centre-backs is what we need. In particular, because he and Mawson are both English and could help with the quota.

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

That's great - so there is room for improvement.

Coupled with the fact that we seem to put more emphasis on younger players (many of which we can sell for good money later on, once they come good), one or two aspiring and talented centre-backs is what we need. In particular, because he and Mawson are both English and could help with the quota.

Mate, I think you are reading too much into what I’m saying. 

I essentially agree with your points. 

I just want Maguire to stay, and for us to not replace him with Gibson, as I think the one we already have is and will be better than the other. That is all

6 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Mate, I think you are reading too much into what I’m saying. 

I essentially agree with your points. 

I just want Maguire to stay, and for us to not replace him with Gibson, as I think the one we already have is and will be better than the other. That is all

Of course Maguire is better than Gibson, experience on Premier League and international level cannot be compared. That much is true.

IF we were to sell Maguire (now or in a years' time) and IF we were able to get Mawson and Gibson in with the money from a potential Maguire transfer, I think we'd be set in the centre-back area for the next four to five years. Which is a long time in football nowadays.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 80footgiraffe said:

If we played a back three of Maguire - Evans - Gibson we would be doing very very well. Personally I'd love a Maguire - Mawson - Gibson back three. England's back line for the next few years if it works.

Stones? 

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Of course Maguire is better than Gibson, experience on Premier League and international level cannot be compared. That much is true.

IF we were to sell Maguire (now or in a years' time) and IF we were able to get Mawson and Gibson in with the money from a potential Maguire transfer, I think we'd be set in the centre-back area for the next four to five years. Which is a long time in football nowadays.

Until another big team fancies one of them and off they go too. I know it can't be helped but it gets frustrating seeing us seemingly doing the bigger teams scouting for them.

20 minutes ago, 80footgiraffe said:

If we played a back three of Maguire - Evans - Gibson we would be doing very very well. Personally I'd love a Maguire - Mawson - Gibson back three. England's back line for the next few years if it works.

Do you not realise that the FA would never allow this to happen? Stones and Walker (not a CB) from Man city currently being picked along with Maguire. Harry most likely to be dropped out of those three as he doesn't play for one of the elite clubs. Sad but close to the truth. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 80footgiraffe said:

john stones

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Until they become any good then we sell them. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

3 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Until they become any good then we sell them. 

People just need to get used to this, we are and always will be a selling club. Not in the sense of us needing the money, or the owners cashing in. But in the sense that there will always be bigger clubs than Leicester that our players and managers would prefer to go to. It's just the way it is.

What's key is buying the right replacements.

• Like 3

Just now, Leeds Fox said:

Until the become any good then we sell them. 

Rinse and repeat, but that's football today.

The nostalgic in me would love to see more players stay beyond the current three- or four-year threshold and remain loyal to the club that made them, but I also realize that's asking a lot.

At least we have a handful of players who have remained true to LCFC over recent years, such as Vardy, King, Schmeichel, Morgan. Followed by Simpson, Albrighton and Ulloa.

Hopefully, the same can be said for youngsters such as Chilwell, Choudhury, Ndidi or Maddison.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

People just need to get used to this, we are and always will be a selling club. Not in the sense of us needing the money, or the owners cashing in. But in the sense that there will always be bigger clubs than Leicester that our players and managers would prefer to go to. It's just the way it is.

What's key is buying the right replacements.

Even Man Utd sold Ronaldo

Liverpool sold Coutinho

Kante, Hazard and Courtois linked with moves away

Tottenham sold Bale

Arsenal sold Sanchez

It's the way of the world. I'd be more than happy if we sold a player every season for one of the biggest transfer fees of all time, it means we're doing something right if top clubs want our players. 

The dream is to keep getting transfers right and eventually be in a position to compete with the top clubs. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Even Man Utd sold Ronaldo

Liverpool sold Coutinho

Kante, Hazard and Courtois linked with moves away

Tottenham sold Bale

Arsenal sold Sanchez

It's the way of the world. I'd be more than happy if we sold a player every season for one of the biggest transfer fees of all time, it means we're doing something right if top clubs want our players. 

The dream is to keep getting transfers right and eventually be in a position to compete with the top clubs. 

Yes it is the way of the world and we can't deny it but, with the exception of perhaps one of them (I may be wrong), were they not all done at a time convenient to the clubs involved and with time for the selling clubs to purchase replacements? 

33 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes it is the way of the world and we can't deny it but, with the exception of perhaps one of them (I may be wrong), were they not all done at a time convenient to the clubs involved and with time for the selling clubs to purchase replacements? 

If a club makes a hostile bid for one of our players they should pay a premium. Not only that we should have someone else lined up, we should only be doing it on our terms. 

Maguire is a good player but anyone turning their nose up at the best part of £80m has little concept of value.

• Like 1