Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Ben Gibson - Burnley

In fairness Benny normally plays quite well when called upon and is probably responsible for a goal every couple of games.

In fairness Wes normally plays quite well when called upon and is probably responsible for a goal every couple of games.

If we're lucky we might get a clean sheet otherwise we'll let in at least 2 goals.

:teehee:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

If Ben Gibson is the answer, I genuinely don’t know what the question is! 

He is bang average at best. Burnley welcome to him 

I disagree. Very solid on the ball with a low panic level. 

5 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I disagree. Very solid on the ball with a low panic level. 

He is, but he has a weakness in the air which is a problem.  I prefer centre halves to be big fat bruising Taggart-beasts and commanding in the air.

Well..maybe not fat.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

He is, but he has a weakness in the air which is a problem.  I prefer centre halves to be big fat bruising Taggart-beasts and commanding in the air.

Well..maybe not fat.

So John Stones isn't for you ?

20 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

So John Stones isn't for you ?

Is John Stones weak in the air then?

It's nice to have both - a footballer and a beast like Maguire, but given the choice between a centre half that can defend set pieces or one that do Cruyff turns, I'd choose the former.

Edited by murphy

Guest Markyblue
36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Unless you listen to his agent who said we did.

Agent in bigging up his player shock...

Gibson at £12-15 million sounds good to me. Reliable and was on the verge of the England team a year or two ago.When Boro did go down they did not concede that many goals from what I can remember.

To be honest would prefer to strengthen the defence than go for an underwhelming Mahrez replacement that might end up being just another squad player

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Not sure Gibson would come to be 3rd or 4th choice.

Exactly what I thought ! He won't want to be used in a rotational role with Evans. BUT we are one injury away from Wes and Yohan....so if a good enough package is thrown at him I'm sure he wouldn't bat an eyelid about fighting for his place as opposed to it being a given. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I think he would get enough game time as 3rd choice, and I have doubts over Evans being able to stay injury free and fit enough for a full season of league and cups.

It also gives us the ability to play 3 at the back too. We desperately need a CB in anyway, otherwise we could see a lot more of Wes/Benny! Terrifying. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think he would get enough game time as 3rd choice, and I have doubts over Evans being able to stay injury free and fit enough for a full season of league and cups.

It also gives us the ability to play 3 at the back too. We desperately need a CB in anyway, otherwise we could see a lot more of Wes/Benny! Terrifying. 

Or he'll go somewhere like Burnley where he'll start every week. He won't want to come to play 3rd fiddle hoping Evans slips up or over.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

He'll be third choice behind Mee and Tarkowski at Burnley. 

I'll say one thing for Dyche, he's a decent judge of a central defender.  They've always been solid in those positions.

6 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

This exactly.  He will get 15-20 games this season before becoming first choice.  Maguire is going either this window or next summer.  Wes is getting older.  So that leaves Evans.

It would be daft of us not to attempt to sign a player we've been interested in for a while, who is available for a reasonable fee, and can allow us to prepare our defence for eventual departures.

Edited by breadandcheese
  • Like 4

We conceded far too many goals last season, particularly set plays, and we have lost both goals created & scored with the departure of Mahrez. It’s too early to say with any confidence really but I’m not convinced at all that we have fully addressed those things yet.