Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Which U23s would you like to see in the first team

43 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'd like to have seen Johnson given a go at right back given our recent problems there.

Think the issue there is (someone with links to the U23’s posted) that he wants to be a CB. There were rumours that he may potentially be turning down a new contract with us for that reason if I remember correctly... so maybe Pascanu?

1 hour ago, foxes21 said:

We might not have to spend hundreds of millions in the summer as we’ve got some talented players coming through.

We’ve seen Hamza’s progression already and I think some of these lads would be useful additions to our senior squad.

Those that I think should be in the first team squad:

Sam Hughes - Clearly our best defender for the u23s and is very comfortable on the ball. Has been given the captains armband on several occasions so he is a leader too. Honestly is it beyond the realms of possibility he could partner Maguire? If we don’t sign Dragovic, he has a chance of being 2nd choice imo. 

Hamza Choudhury - Looks very good. Great positioning, aggressive in the tackle, reads the game well - a worthy competitor for Ndidi’s spot.

Harvey Barnes - Looks like a natural number 10. He wasn’t impressive in the Fa Cup games but the talent is there. If he works hard over the summer, could he potentially be the solution to the number 10 role? 

George Thomas - Our most gifted attacker for the u23s. He seems to have a footballing brain and shows intelligence in the final third by making the right decisions. Which is why I think he can make the step up. He looks dangerous on the wing but he’s also rotated a lot mid game, playing behind the striker where he’s been effective so that might be another option for us to explore.

Who would you like to see in the first team squad? 

I agree with the above plus any of Knight, Pascanu, Moore, Johnson, Wood and Iversen for the bench.

Certainly don't think we need to get in a CB (Evans, Smalling, Gibson) when we have an array of possibilities in the squad at the moment.

Also agree with getting the attackers out on loan to see if they have any future. People like Eppiah have some strengths but I'm not yet convinced they have the completeness to make it at the higher level but maybe it's just experience they lack.

....Thomas is the player I have seen and I am excited about. Seems very professional has a good football brain and has the temperament  of Albrighton. Playing in behind Vardy in the Okasaki role is where I see him in his best position. He can pick a pass,has an eye for goal and makes the right decisions. We created a few chances against Arsenal which were squandered because of the final ball (either in execution or decision making), I believe with his composure we would have scored more goals with him in that position..

I have seen Hamza play a few times in the U23 and felt that he could offer a lot more for the team as all he was doing were "wall passing" and not taking on any responsibility of moving the team forward. I felt he was comfortable in the U23 just doing that and I could see no immediate advancement in his career happening if this was a role he felt was a fair reflection of his skills.

The opportunity came and he has taken it!!!.......he seems to have grown game by game and now facing the oppositions goal as opposed to facing his goal and passing backwards and side-wards.

Connor Wood the left back is very good and has the ability of whipping good balls into the box. He gets up and down the line very well too.

49 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Think the issue there is (someone with links to the U23’s posted) that he wants to be a CB. There were rumours that he may potentially be turning down a new contract with us for that reason if I remember correctly... so maybe Pascanu?

Correct rumoured to be heading to ajax if/when they lose de ligt. Meaning 1st team football in his favoured position.

Would echo others thoughts that Hughes would have been worth a look at over the last month surely.

I agree totally, I’d also like another look at Big Darnell. If we spend in the right areas, sell the right players, promote and play the right players and allow Puel to steady the ship in his vision we’ll consistently challenge for top 6. :)

Hughes, Knight and Johnson would do well in defence Physically Johnson and Hughes have the attributes to make it but they need some experience, Knight still got some size to put on but definitely shown he was good enough on his debut to fill in. 

If Hamza can do as reasonably well as he has, I don't see why Puel wont bring in Dewsbury-Hall, Wood, Barnes and Thomas, all whom have travelled on game day with the first team so must be in his thoughts, Barnes is my personal favourite out the bunch; I mean who doesn't like a goal scoring attacking midfielder?

Puel's the manager to give them a chance, just not sure if he's going to get the time to do it.

2 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Hughes, Knight and Johnson would do well in defence Physically Johnson and Hughes have the attributes to make it but they need some experience, Knight still got some size to put on but definitely shown he was good enough on his debut to fill in. 

If Hamza can do as reasonably well as he has, I don't see why Puel wont bring in Dewsbury-Hall, Wood, Barnes and Thomas, all whom have travelled on game day with the first team so must be in his thoughts, Barnes is my personal favourite out the bunch; I mean who doesn't like a goal scoring attacking midfielder?

Puel's the manager to give them a chance, just not sure if he's going to get the time to do it.

Yeah agree with all of this, think in particular Wood flies under the radar but always looks decent to me, has the ability to put in some real quality balls from the left side.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Yeah agree with all of this, think in particular Wood flies under the radar but always looks decent to me, has the ability to put in some real quality balls from the left side.

His crossing is quite good, never has a target in the middle to aim at either (Gordon isn't exactly tall)

I've watched a lot of u23s and it's true we have a good bunch of young players. I would put Hamza in the first team category now. As for the others- George Thomas is the most promising. I think he would make a good no.10. 

Darnell Johnson could be a possible replacement for Danny Simpson in time. We're desperately short in that position and has to be a top priority for the transfer window. Sam Hughes could also develop into a good centre half. 

Just imagine if that was possible what a team we could have for the next decade: Chillwell, Choudhury, Barnes, Grey, Diabate in addition to the above. But I think this is only possible if Puel is still in charge because of his desire to develop and promote youth and he has seen the potential in these youngsters. 

Anyone coming in new will be looking for instant success and spending a lot of money in the transfer market that is not guaranteed to be so.

Edited by Lesta blue
Wrong spelling
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I have a pet theory about the dev squad which may be complete b*locks, but here goes. I can't help thinking that once a player becomes established in the dev squad and plays week-in-week-out then there comes a point where he will become stale (as I suspect Hamza did to some extent) and his developmemt slows or grinds to a halt. He may lose his incentive and zip even more as the prospect of a go in the first team seems far away and getting no closer. I think there is a point for each player where he needs to be given an opportunity, or loaned out if he looks not to have reached the standard.

Some young players, when given a go, if they have the inherent quality and have reached the optimum moment, will step up to the higher level and thrive in it. Having better quality of players around them helps. As an example - the quality of Hamza's pass to Mahrez would have gone unnoticed if played in the dev squad where the teammate didn't have Mahrez's alacrity and quality to take it on so effectively.

The skill of the management is, for each player, to spot that right moment. I'm sure that not only are there very individual differences in the rate of progress of players but they also have "development spurts" much like growth spurts in children. I accept that the Prem pressure makes it harder to blood youngsters, but I wish the risk were taken a little more often than it generally is in the current scene.

I agree with all this

Johnson looks good but I'm not sure he's either strong enough is tall enough for a C B. But would suit Puels style. Hughes and Knight obviously deserve a run in the squad as does Barnes , Thomas, Wood and Hall in midfield. The problem is you can only introduce them slowly into the team. But they should be used to fill out the squad on match days.

Against Arsenal its important to note how the youth was involved in pretty much everything.

Diabate (22) assists Iheanacho (21)

Iheanacho gets a player sent off

Demarai Gray (21) wins penalty

Choudhury (21) assists Mahrez

Bide well for the future that

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

Will fans give them a bit of leeway after some good performances followed by several average ones or will they dig them out like some do with Chilwell? I can just imagine Sam Hughes starting well but then have below average games and then gets absolute pelters on here calling him Sol Bamba in disguise. 

Chilwell hasn't even completed hid firdt full season as a starter and people have already made their minds up about him.

Part of giving academy youths chances is patience and support. You can't judge Hamza the same way you'd judge Adrien Silva. 

Some people on here are unconceivably negative about players, I just ignore them

2 hours ago, 4everfox said:

Darnell Johnson is Emile Heskey's god son. Looks a bright prospect. Good shout. 

Didn't know he's Emile's god son. I'd be cautious about having two youth defenders. On the other hand, our right back problems have been ridiculous for years - it'd be stupid to let him fester in the u23s. Hopefully now we've got more youth players in the first team they can help the others better make the transition.