Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Strange but True

My partner spends her Sundays in the local cemetery, come rain or shine. She packs a flask and sandwiches, and off she goes. Now she is having a Victorian style mourning dress, professionally made for her. She has this passion about death, especially in Victorian times. :blink:

Do you know of anyone who has strange passions?

36 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

My partner spends her Sundays in the local cemetery, come rain or shine. She packs a flask and sandwiches, and off she goes. Now she is having a Victorian style mourning dress, professionally made for her. She has this passion about death, especially in Victorian times. :blink:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Erm yeah you're definitely getting murdered.

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Apparently there’s about 30,000 people in and around the Leicester area who have this strange passion where every other week they descend upon the same place and pay vast amounts of money to watch 22 grown men wearing shorts and long socks kick a bag of wind around a field for an hour and a half.

Raving bonkers if you ask me...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Erm yeah you're definitely getting murdered.

Thanks for that. :(

By the way, she is a fully qualified embalmer. True. :yesyes:  She is an ex agency nurse that worked with the terminally ill, and often had to lay them out.

4 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Nothing odd about that!!!

Plenty of necrophiliacs do the same 

4 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

2 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Thanks for that. :(

By the way, she is a fully qualified embalmer. True. :yesyes:  She is an ex agency nurse that worked with the terminally ill, and often had to lay them out.

These bits scare me a little and I'm not the one living with her.

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

These bits scare me a little and I'm not the one living with her.

Like I said, man's getting the chop.  Probably something kinky like tie him to the bed and embalm him alive.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Have you ever thought “this woman likes spending more time with the dead than me?”

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I must admit that I spent an hour or two wandering around Leicester's Welford Road Cemetery on Boxing Day, examining gravestones and taking photos of interesting ones, despite having no family/friends buried there.

I've occasionally wandered around graveyards like that before - though not in Victorian dress or with a packed lunch.

It's the lives that I find interesting, not the deaths. Some of the gravestones have stories to tell - often tragic stories if you're talking about Victoria era or around WW1: families afflicted by poverty, child death, war etc.

Other stones are interesting for the trouble that people go to, or for the inscriptions, which can be detailed and moving - or brusque and perfunctory.

It also reminds you of the brief, passing nature of existence - a reminder not to waste time (though I still do!).

Welford Road Cemetery also has plaques with mini life stories of people buried there - some who achieved great things, others who led interesting lives or met tragic ends (e.g. a trapeze performer who crashed to earth in front of thousands).

As for other strange passions, when I was in my 20s I used to sometimes go hitch-hiking. Not to save money or to get somewhere specific (though I'd usually have a provisional/eventual destination). It was largely for the experience of meeting random people and for the unpredictability of being on the road without knowing where I'd be dropped or for how long. Some friends found that a strange carry-on.....but is there really anything weirder about random hitching or hanging out in graveyards compared to spending all weekend in a dark room fighting monsters or crashing cars in some computer game, or sitting on your own failing to catch fish or dressing up for a civil war reenactment society - or clipping a hedge planted deliberately to give you something to clip? Live and let live....

Maybe Victorian dress appeals to a few women as there was a Leicester woman from Highfields who used to walk around all the time in full Victorian costume (maybe she still does)?