Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Mahrez replacements

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They may well and that's the plan as Puel has already said, spread the work like. It doesn't hide the fact that we actually only have three wingers and one of them is exceptionally raw.

We actually have more than 3 wingers and we have wing backs who play like wingers. We don't NEED any more. Albrighton and Gray have the spots with Diabaté and Thomas backing them up. We can't play more than 2 and don't need to do that.

4 minutes ago, Koke said:

We won't find a direct replacement anyway so that narrative need to die asap. We do need need a creative player though. Albrighton is a work horse, not a creator. His assist mainly consist of crosses into the box, not through balls or dribbling past players.

We have maddison, he's at least as creative and less greedy than Mahrez. It doesn't matter how the assists come - from dribbling or crosses - and variety is important. 

7 minutes ago, FIF said:

We actually have more than 3 wingers and we have wing backs who play like wingers. We don't NEED any more. Albrighton and Gray have the spots with Diabaté and Thomas backing them up. We can't play more than 2 and don't need to do that.

We have right backs and left backs who will be asked to push on, they aren't going to play on the right wing, we still actually need players to play both positions.

So one injury and you're suggesting we should be relying on Diabate and Thomas lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FIF said:

We have maddison, he's at least as creative and less greedy than Mahrez. It doesn't matter how the assists come - from dribbling or crosses - and variety is important. 

For a man who is often unflinching in opinions on players not being good enough, I find it incredibly naive that you think there's no issue out wide. We've two players in Albrighton and Gray that are even remotely ready for the PL. If it's a genuine possibility we'll have to play Pereira and Chilwell or Elder on the wing as alternatives then it doesn't bare thinking about. Puel has set his stall out he's not going to play wing backs so it would be horribly unbalanced and very easy to see us struggle.

I hope your faith in the current squad is proven to be right but Puel is a dead man walking and the new man will be baffled at what's hes got at his disposal for a supposed ambitious club.

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

We have right backs and left backs who will be asked to push on, they aren't going to play on the right wing, we still actually need players to play both positions.

So one injury and you're suggesting we should be relying on Diabate and Thomas lol

Incredible isn't it?!!!

26 minutes ago, FIF said:

Albrighton and Gray have the spots right now, but my guess is we'll bring in one, if not two more rather experienced or high-profile wingers in the next few days.

Well, we simply have to. Otherwise, the drop in quality up front would be rather unbearable.

Diabaté currently is nowhere near first-team football, and neither is Thomas.

With the creativity now coming from the centre it will present more goal scoring opportunities as the ball can be played forward, left or right of centre. Before we relied on it coming from the right & the better teams snuffed that avenue out quite easily, it's harder to do that from the centre due to the amount of runners that can break through supporting.
That said i wouldn't object to another right sided player to come in as a starter who can play as a natural winger or as part of a front 3 for a little better balance & to provide more options. The development lads have done well especially those last night & credit to Puel to play so many in a high profile friendly match but those are not starters yet & as mentioned by a few Diabate needs a little longer also going on the pre-season games. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BKLFox said:

With the creativity now coming from the centre it will present more goal scoring opportunities as the ball can be played forward, left or right of centre. Before we relied on it coming from the right & the better teams snuffed that avenue out quite easily, it's harder to do that from the centre due to the amount of runners that can break through supporting.
That said i wouldn't object to another right sided player to come in as a starter who can play as a natural winger or as part of a front 3 for a little better balance & to provide more options. The development lads have done well especially those last night & credit to Puel to play so many in a high profile friendly match but those are not starters yet & as mentioned by a few Diabate needs a little longer also going on the pre-season games. 

Lots to agree with here. 

One of the very few problems I had with Mahrez was that despite his incredible skill, he hardly ever beat a man on the outside and got to the byline. 

His pattern of play was always the same: cut inside on his left foot, either to pass or shoot. 

Don't get me wrong, he was bloody good at it...but it did make the team a bit lopsided, and if he was marked out of the game we struggled to create anything. 

We'll feel his loss no doubt, but at the same time I hope his departure is the jolt we need to shake up how we play as it was really getting a bit stale 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Lots to agree with here. 

One of the very few problems I had with Mahrez was that despite his incredible skill, he hardly ever beat a man on the outside and got to the byline. 

His pattern of play was always the same: cut inside on his left foot, either to pass or shoot. 

Don't get me wrong, he was bloody good at it...but it did make the team a bit lopsided, and if he was marked out of the game we struggled to create anything. 

We'll feel his loss no doubt, but at the same time I hope his departure is the jolt we need to shake up how we play as it was really getting a bit stale 

That's why the signing of Pereira is very important, an inverted winger who's so dangerous cutting in from the right causes all sorts of problems for the opposition when they have to contend with an attacking full back overlapping. Mahrez would have had a field day as would Pereira, that's why it's really silly for us not to go and get another left footed winger of Mahrez style.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's why the signing of Pereira is very important, an inverted winger who's so dangerous cutting in from the right causes all sorts of problems for the opposition when they have to contend with an attacking full back overlapping. Mahrez would have had a field day as would Pereira, that's why it's really silly for us not to go and get another left footed winger of Mahrez style.

Would have been nice to see what Mahrez could do with real attacking support like Ricardo and Maddison... oh well.

• Like 2

Six days to go and still a decent amount of quality wingers available, either on a free or for relatively little money (although I'm using "little" rather freely these days).

Bailey

Bernard

Hazard

Promes

Bellarabi - although he suffered a scare in pre-season with Leverkusen when he blacked out and was left unconscious for 30 minutes or so (heatstroke?)

Sarabia

Castillejo - release clause of £30m

Pulisic

(Januzaj)

7 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Six days to go and still a decent amount of quality wingers available, either on a free or for relatively little money (although I'm using "little" rather freely these days).

Bailey

Bernard

Hazard

Promes

Bellarabi - although he suffered a scare in pre-season with Leverkusen when he blacked out and was left unconscious for 30 minutes or so (heatstroke?)

Sarabia

Castillejo - release clause of £30m

Pulisic

(Januzaj)

So does your wife :P 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Relying on diabate and Thomas as back up wide men is not what a team wanting a top 8 spot in the Prem should be doing

imo another winger is needed. If not permy then a loan by end of August is a must 

Is it possible to arrange loans beyond the 8th August then? I hadn't realised that. 

On 02/08/2018 at 09:51, FIF said:

@FIF behave man lol