Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Danny Ward - 12 Million

11 minutes ago, Gerard said:

£12m is just excessive.

Liverpool will have four decent GK's on their books so they would think it was Christmas if someone offered them £12m for their 4th choice. If he's coming here as a No2 then that's horrific business comparing it to Real Madrid who signed the 19 year old Ukrainian international Lunin for £7.65m this summer.

If he's coming here as No1 then Butland is available for £10m more and one of Pope/Heaton from Burnley would also be obtainable for a decent price as Burnley can't keep both happy for long. 

Whatever way you look at it we're being mugs again if this £12m bid is true, no wonder Liverpool accepted our first bid and never tried to haggle as this story came out of nowhere

Sorry but if we had signed a 19 year keeper for nearly 8 mill the melt down in here would be mental.

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not in such a short space of time ...... and a deal apparently agreed.

im not overly comfortable that he would become our first choice with pretty well no top level experience 

I don’t see us signing him and a more experienced keeper and selling Kasper - he isn’t coming here to sit on our bench rather than Liverpool’s 

But being no 2 with us, and with a fair chance Kasper won't be with us that much longer (or could deteriorate), is surely an improvement for him than being 4th choice at Liverpool.

12 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You funneh!

he was first choice keeper in the premier league for Hull a couple of seasons ago, and had a pretty decent season. You really think 5 million for keeper with pl experience is so ridiculous seeing as we're talking about paying Liverpool 12 million for one with no pl experience??

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

But being no 2 with us, and with a fair chance Kasper won't be with us that much longer (or could deteriorate), is surely an improvement for him than being 4th choice at Liverpool.

Not sure he is 4th choice at lpool 

surely they will sell karius and mignolet won’t be happy to be understudy to such an immovable first choice 

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

THE PERCY SPEAKS!

Great if true.

He's a similar age to what Kasper was when he signed for us, and is probably at a similar level. A season or two as KS' understudy and playing the cups, and we could have a solid keeper for the forseeable future.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I'd rather we'd spent £10m on Angus Gunn before he went to Southampton.  More highly rated and £2m cheaper.

It's not like we weren't negotiating with Man City at the time.

Gunn was more like 14mill

3 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

im not sure Lunin , would come here to be a back up like he would with Real, just given its Real and im sure he doesnt mind there

and is Butland actually available for £10mil,, as im sure theyd be a fair few linked if he was.....

and why are we saying we are being mugged off for paying £12mil.........he could be a long term replacement for KS, and the club are looking long term

and another point, Southampton paid £12mil+ for Angus Gunn from Man City(4th Choice i think) and hes by no means going to be 1st choice.........more likely 2nd

Where do I start with this?

I never said Lunin would come here to be back up I'm just comparing the value. Real Madrid get a 19yo wonderkid Ukrainian international whilst we sign a 25yo  with 70 first team games mainly on loan to a Championship and SPL team.

I also said Butland would be available for £10m more than the reported £12m fee for Ward. They're both the same age and for the prices Butland seems the far better option, buy cheap buy twice might be the after thought here in a year or so.

Angus Gunn had a far higher reputation and whilst I can't judge the three GK's discussed with any certainty on the fave of it £12m for Ward is the worst buy out of the three. Liverpool would be desperate to get rid of a GK as they'll now have four on the books with biggish wages so we've offered them a lifeline by purchasing their 4th choice for £12m. It just looks terrible business by us whatever way you look at it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Great if true.

He's a similar age to what Kasper was when he signed for us, and is probably at a similar level. A season or two as KS' understudy and playing the cups, and we could have a solid keeper for the forseeable future.

Kasper was ahead of Ward at the same age, making 159 first team appearances by the age of 25.  The experience of consistent first team football for a goalkeeper can't be underestimated.  Ward has only made 72 appearances in his career.

1 minute ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Anyone who believes we are spending 12m on competition for kasper needs to have a word with themselves. This is 100% because we know he's leaving.

Even if he does he is a good replacement.

Anyone who believes we are spending 12m on competition for kasper needs to have a word with themselves. This is 100% because we know he's leaving.

Southampton just spent £10m on one. If number ones are now starting to cost between £30m and £60m then the value of backups will rise also!

• Like 3

I'd be very pleased with Danny Ward. He's a good keeper. Watched a fair bit of him in Scotland (yeah I know poor league and that) and he was a clear cut above and impressed on loan at Huddersfield. Seen him play live a few times too and thought he's looked decent. A young keeper who can come in and genuinely push Kasper and/or rise up to his level imo.

Edited by LCCFox96

I'd like to think we would be looking at better replacements if he was leaving. Appreciate he may develop into a top-class keeper, but it's a massive risk if he's coming in at number 1.

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Southampton just spent £10m on one. If number ones are now starting to cost between £30m and £60m then the value of backups will rise also!

Gunn will be there no.1, Forster isn't very good and McCarthy is average. Very good business.

1 minute ago, Ted Maul said:

I'd like to think we would be looking at better replacements if he was leaving. Appreciate he may develop into a top-class keeper, but it's a massive risk if he's coming in at number 1.

unless you are going to sign one of the other 19 first choice keepers in the prem then any signing is a risk surely.

Just now, goose2010 said:

People need to stop worrying about transfer fees. ITS NOT YOUR MONEY. The club can obviously afford it or they wouldn't do it.

Well thanks for clearing that up. There was me expecting twelve million to leave my bank account in the next half an hour lol