Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mhs123

Danny Ings.

2 hours ago, Smudge said:

I'd have thought the the natural move for Ings would be back to Burnley.

Didn't leave Burnley on good terms. Agitated for a move to Liverpool in the January 2014 window. Topped it off by "bottling" it against Leicester in the vital relegation clash by declining to take the penalty which Matt Taylor missed.

Give Ings his due, he did a lot of charity work at Burnley but he never really settled. He paid for 2/3 of his mates from the south coast to "live" with him in Burnley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Ings is a decent player, always rated him a Burnley. He’s rotting at Liverpool, I’d happily see him here.

agree although concerning about his injuries. Is he still prone? is he the same player he was?

52 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

Didn't leave Burnley on good terms. Agitated for a move to Liverpool in the January 2014 window. Topped it off by "bottling" it against Leicester in the vital relegation clash by declining to take the penalty which Matt Taylor missed.

Give Ings his due, he did a lot of charity work at Burnley but he never really settled. He paid for 2/3 of his mates from the south coast to "live" with him in Burnley.

Ok I wasn't aware of that,

If he can stay fit I’d be happy with this. Could be a really good partner for Vardy, and a better stand in than Iheanacho given he’ll be more likely to do the running.

That said, I think we need to hold on to one of Slimani or Ulloa for when we’re chasing games going into the last ten minutes. We were screaming out for that option at times towards the end of last season and just didn’t have it. Ings would provide a better option in that role than the others we currently have, but I think it’s important to have a target man you can throw on. 

It may not be Puel’s way, but I much prefer an ugly long ball over passing it sideways when we’re trailing 1-0 with five to go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

One word....WATFORD:)

Watford hurt, LC, of course, but if we had gone up that year things would have been very different.

We won the Championship the following year and what happened next is history.  The title would not have happened without that Watford result.

You could argue of course, that relegation and subsequent promotion made you stronger too.

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

If we're being linked with the likes of Ings and Jordan Ayew then one or more of the following are clearly true:

1. The owners are tightening the purse strings because of the forthcoming cost of our new training ground and stadium expansion. 

2. Any lustre that we had from winning the league has fully worn off, making it hard to attract more glamourous players. Competitors like West Ham and even Fulham have the advantage of being in London, whereas Everton have more history and are seen to be splashing a lot more cash than us.

3. We are at risk of breaking FFP rules because of the bloated size of our first team squad. I wonder if this will be a problem for lots of middle ranking PL clubs in future. Like us, many such clubs are buying players from lesser foreign leagues where wages and transfer fees are lower. Consequently, if these players fail in the PL, clubs abroad can't afford to buy them back and pay their wages, and other PL clubs don't want them as they've failed, so clubs end up lumbered with a growing number of such players the longer they stay up. By contrast, the big 6 are still able to shift their failures as other PL clubs will take a risk that their cast offs will be good enough for them, and the bigger foreign clubs with money will take the same view. 

That's a very good post.

The playing field is so uneven between the very big clubs and the rest. The more you think about it, the more miraculous our title win really was. 

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

That's a very good post.

The playing field is so uneven between the very big clubs and the rest. The more you think about it, the more miraculous our title win really was. 

You're overlooking a very real possibility...

Maybe we are reluctant to spend huge amounts of cash purely on one player because we're sh!te at it.... Slim, kramaric, moose, Mendy and to a degree, Nacho, Silva and Iborra. 

We have a much better track record signing small and over-achieving. And even when we do get that wrong.... it's less noticeable as it's less of a risk.

7 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

You're overlooking a very real possibility...

Maybe we are reluctant to spend huge amounts of cash purely on one player because we're sh!te at it.... Slim, kramaric, moose, Mendy and to a degree, Nacho, Silva and Iborra. 

We have a much better track record signing small and over-achieving. And even when we do get that wrong.... it's less noticeable as it's less of a risk.

I'm not sure when I overlooked that possibility? 

I don't doubt that has been noticed within the club as we've all noticed it on FT.

Are you suggesting that might be a directive to the recruitment team? If so, I'm surprised they forked out so much on Pereira, whilst that wasn't a record breaking fee it's hardly signing small. Same goes for Maddison, £25m isn't bargain basement either.

I'm not sure how our recruitment process works but you're absolutely correct, we have been utterly useless when parting with the larger sums of money.

However, if the owners still have ambitions of regular European football, we won't do it consistently (or probably ever) by spending £2 million with Le Havre every season to try and unearth a diamond.

I'd suggest the more likely reason we're not spending massive on one player (what's the equivalent fee this season for £29m/Slimani? £60m? £70m?) is because we can't attract players in that fee bracket. 

We really had one shot after the title win to attract players that wouldn't normally come to us and we couldn't (for whatever reason).

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1