Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

Even if he doesn't make it here we can get double figures for him thanks to his loan spells. 

It's actually nice to see the quality of youngsters we produce have gone up significantly compared to even 5-6 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I’d just leave the lad there for the season and let him progress in a physically demanding league. He looks like he’ll blossom. 

Exactly.

He's still a teenager and has only been playing week-in week-out against more senior players for a few weeks, so it's no surprise he's not quite as aggressive or influential as some would like. He's still producing goals though, and the physical side of his game will only grow from a season in the championship.

As far as LCFC is concerned, if we're going for Europe he's not likely to get gametime as a youngster if we recalled him. Conversely, if we're in trouble we're not going to bring him back and rely on him to fire us to safety. And if we're comfortably mid-table (most likely) then he wouldn't gain anything with us that he wouldn't gain from a promotion push with WBA. He'll still be there in May (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up playing at Wembley).

• Like 2

I think him playing out wide isn't helping him being involved in the game as much as it's quite evident he's not a winger. I can see why he isn't favoured in his natural role as a number 8 or 10 though as physically he needs to develop. I was critical he didn't get a chance last summer and went straight out on loan, but I get it now. He's not Prem ready, he's clearly gifted in finishing and passing but his all round game is patchy. Like I alluded to last week, Andy King was often anonymous in games but would score regularly for us in League One and the Championship. We were at that level though so we basically played him regularly as we didn't have the luxury of better players but in the Prem you need more than that really.

You could argue Gray, Diabate and Okazaki don't offer enough in goals and assists which directly impacts on results and Barnes therefore should be given the chance to see if he can impact on games for us, but right now he's best placed in a team playing regularly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foxxed said:

In those two cup matches he played in? Imagine if we judged Vardy as quickly. To be fair, I think a loan is the best for him currently as well, but a 19 year old playing to cup matches isn't enough time to really judge him as average at best.

I didn't say he was average. I said, when he's featured for us, he's been average. We don't give players an extended run to get up to speed, they need to make an impact straight away and he had been far from it. This is just fact. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think him playing out wide isn't helping him being involved in the game as much as it's quite evident he's not a winger. I can see why he isn't favoured in his natural role as a number 8 or 10 though as physically he needs to develop. I was critical he didn't get a chance last summer and went straight out on loan, but I get it now. He's not Prem ready, he's clearly gifted in finishing and passing but his all round game is patchy. Like I alluded to last week, Andy King was often anonymous in games but would score regularly for us in League One and the Championship. We were at that level though so we basically played him regularly as we didn't have the luxury of better players but in the Prem you need more than that really.

You could argue Gray, Diabate and Okazaki don't offer enough in goals and assists which directly impacts on results and Barnes therefore should be given the chance to see if he can impact on games for us, but right now he's best placed in a team playing regularly.

In Barnes' defense, he's shown signs of quality earlier than King (starting off at a similar level), plus he tends to play in a different position. Goals are usually a bit harder to come by on the wing.

The bar at Championship level for LCFC youth teamers is set with King's 15 goals in 45 matches back in 2010-11. I'm pretty confident Barnes will smash that record.

40 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

In Barnes' defense, he's shown signs of quality earlier than King (starting off at a similar level), plus he tends to play in a different position. Goals are usually a bit harder to come by on the wing.

The bar at Championship level for LCFC youth teamers is set with King's 15 goals in 45 matches back in 2010-11. I'm pretty confident Barnes will smash that record.

Do central midfielders tend to score more than wingers, I must admit I'm genuinely unsure? Either way Barnes scores at every level he plays bar a few brief appearances for us. He's got a great starting point.

It’s great seeing Harvey doing well again, even if he doesn’t make it here I can see him having a very decent career for himself, which in the grand scheme of things is what the academy system is for really. Hope he continues 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Wingers score more than central midfielders.

4 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I didn't say he was average. I said, when he's featured for us, he's been average. We don't give players an extended run to get up to speed, they need to make an impact straight away and he had been far from it. This is just fact. 

Fair enough saying he's 'been' average and opposed to 'is' (although I'm still not sure how useful that is when we're talking about a 19 years old playing his first two games) but if you say players need to make an immediate impact you'd bin off loads players who take time to come good, Vardy as a prime example.

Reading what I have about him one man springs to mind:

CB8AAE8C-6E94-48B3-A5A6-380723C02754.jpeg.99e84eeeb88c14dcb2f76d45ee0606c8.jpeg

Our most “technically gifted” player but drifted through large periods of the game was very lightweight and struggled to exert his influence on games but clearly had bags of talent and often popped up with a crucial goal or assist. He also had a great penalty technique.

9 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Fair enough saying he's 'been' average and opposed to 'is' (although I'm still not sure how useful that is when we're talking about a 19 years old playing his first two games) but if you say players need to make an immediate impact you'd bin off loads players who take time to come good, Vardy as a prime example.

We could afford to give Vardy a bit more time as we weren't playing at such a high level. 

Look at Kramaric,Kaputska, Mendy, Musa and even Slimani..... Can you say they really got a decent run at it? 

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Our most “technically gifted” player but drifted through large periods of the game was very lightweight and struggled to exert his influence on games but clearly had bags of talent and often popped up with a crucial goal or assist. He also had a great penalty technique.

I think Barnes is a lot more mobile and can run with the ball though. Gallagher was all about technique. Interesting point nonetheless

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

King in his heyday used to play as an attacking midfielder mostly, and has scored a shitload of tap-ins over the years.

Well yeah King did, he was top scorer under Sven but wingers typically score more than midfielders.

7 hours ago, Captain... said:

for me Barnes is more of a Kevin De Bruyne type player.. not quiet at the same level yet.. but improving and maturing fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/08/2018 at 19:37, Aus Fox said:

I think this sums up everything I have read and heard about him. In the right team he is going to be special, frustrating at times, will always have his knockers but will ultimately be a decent Premier League player one day.

You can get those removed these days. I’d have mine done but can’t afford it.