Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

He's still only 20 and possibly still a bit weak for the physicality of the Premier League. Having a Madders style season lighting up the Championship playing every week and getting roughed up by the defenders there is probably the perfect thing for his development. People have been saying he's our most exciting player to come out of the academy for years, so it's great to here there's some truth to it.

• Like 1

The most impressive thing abut him is his ability to adapt and improve to whatever level he's playing at. For MK Dons in League 1 he was fantastic with his first season of senior, competitive football. He impressed at Barnsley in the lower reaches of the Championship and now at West Brom surrounded by better players he's tearing it up - absolutely no doubt from myself he'll become a star for us.

In his loan spells so far he's made 51 appearances, scored 13 goals and got 7 assists. He's played 40.62 90s as well to put it into context, so essentially 0.5 G+A p90 is fantastic for an attacking midfielder that plays on the wing or behind the striker.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2018 at 18:16, MC Prussian said:

How many assists for our Harvey?

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1288713/Live/England-Championship-2018-2019-West-Bromwich-Albion-Queens-Park-Rangers

None. I read he was MOTM somewhere though. At least one goal came from him shooting, keeper pawing it away only for an on running striker to slot it in though.

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I wonder if Barnes is the reason we didn't replace Mahrez?

I think Richardo, Chilwell, Maddison, Gray and Puel's tactics are the reason we didn't replace Mahrez. Barnes still looks lightweight but that should improve.

I'd love him and Hamza to get in the first team. A strong Choudhury out muscling his man, winning the ball and reaching Harvey in space could be devastating. Ndidi could do the same of course but the thought of two premier league level academy products, with a third at left back, tearing it up would be fantastic.

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If that's the case then it's one of the most moronic decisions in the world to go and loan the said replacement out for the season.

We cant afford to replace him. Thats the reason

It's quite sweet that WBA think they have a chance of getting him permanently to be honest. :giggle:

What's happening right now is, I imagine, exactly what we had planned. Send him out, tear up the league with a team who will challenge at the top end of the Championship, bring him back in and watch him flourish next season.

You'd assume he's buzzing at his new deal, buzzing with confidence with the ability to show off his abilities and excited to be coming back at the end of the season knowing he'll either walk into or strongly challenge the starting XI in 2019-20.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Simoken said:

We cant afford to replace him. Thats the reason

And how does that explain the decision to loan out Barnes if he's Mahrez's replacement?

I don't buy we can't afford to replace him, if there was a player of Mahrez's calibre available who was willing to come to us we'd go for him. Money isn't an issue, the words Puel used were likely to mean the quality of Mahrez isn't possible for us to replace as those players go to better clubs than us. We have to sign players with potential to try and reach that level again or players with a point to prove.

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Surprised so many keep saying he's lightweight. He looks like he could bench press Maddison and Gray at the same time.

Think the lightweight tag is more about him not getting stuck in, being able to scrap it out. Plus he's still only 20 and he'll learn to use his body more in the next few years.

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If that's the case then it's one of the most moronic decisions in the world to go and loan the said replacement out for the season.

I meant long term.  Obviously.

He has the talent, he needs experience and physical challenge.  He could be earmarked for the role in the long term.

Just can't understand why we didn't spend big on a top quality right winger.

• Like 1

Glad to see Barnes doing well. It is exactly what Spurs did with Harry Kane. I believe he had several loans, Millwall and us and maybe one or two others prior to that. Our loan of Kane was similar to Barnes going to WBA, that is a top championship club. Whilst Kane didn't overly impress hear, it looks like Barnes is making a really good early impression. It bodes well for the future.

2 hours ago, KFS said:

I'd like to see a three of:

Gray Maddison Barnes

Next season 

Barnes would need to start doing the type of defensive work that Gray has started to do before that would work but it would indeed be magical.

Apologies to piss on chips, but suggesting hat a ) Barnes is a Mahrez replacement or b) that he'll be immediately ready to step into a Europe-chasing Premier League team next season is delusional.

First of all, I'm not even sure we've tried to replace Mahrez directly because it's more or less impossible. Second, I don't even think we should have tried: Puel is clearly trying to build a more balanced team; one that isn't so reliant on a player with individual brilliance like him (and we really did rely on him and Vardy together). Maddison has changed the dynamics a lot already, and so have Chilwell/Pereira being given so much licence to get forward.

But Barnes: don't put too much expectation on him just yet - the Championship is so, so different. It's very easy to be swept away by great goals and ignore all-round performances. From what I heard, he was virtually anonymous on the opening day against Bolton before and after that screamer. It's not healthy to lay it all on him at this point. 

• Like 1

I get that JB, I just think that if we're giving the sort of chances we are to Maddison, you can't really deny Barnes that opportunity if he does what Maddison did last year. We've had a decent record of signing the cream of the crop from the Championship, and if Barnes hits that level this season; he kind of qualifies as a new signing for the first team... 

No pressure on the lad, more a call for him to be given an opportunity on recent history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JB_Fox said:

But Barnes: don't put too much expectation on him just yet - the Championship is so, so different. It's very easy to be swept away by great goals and ignore all-round performances. From what I heard, he was virtually anonymous on the opening day against Bolton before and after that screamer. It's not healthy to lay it all on him at this point. 

Just to counter this; in WBA's 7-1 victory at the weekend Barnes didn't score or assist once, yet was still being raved about as MOTM and pulling the strings by the WBA fans and other media. For a 20 year old lad that's mighty impressive regardless of division, and shows he's fully capable of putting in those all-round performances.

Whether he can bring that up to the PL remains to be seen, but I'm sure we can agree at the very least that it looks promising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KFS said:

I get that JB, I just think that if we're giving the sort of chances we are to Maddison, you can't really deny Barnes that opportunity if he does what Maddison did last year. We've had a decent record of signing the cream of the crop from the Championship, and if Barnes hits that level this season; he kind of qualifies as a new signing for the first team... 

No pressure on the lad, more a call for him to be given an opportunity on recent history.

Moreover, I believe Maddison had only 1 standout season in the Champioship before coming to us, and the signs are that he's slotting fairly comfortably into the Prem. Barnes is on course for having 2 impressive seasons in the Championship. See no reason for anything other than guarded optimism.

2 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Moreover, I believe Maddison had only 1 standout season in the Champioship before coming to us, and the signs are that he's slotting fairly comfortably into the Prem. Barnes is on course for having 2 impressive seasons in the Championship. See no reason for anything other than guarded optimism.

It didn't look very guarded to me...