Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

21 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Any updates on Harvexit yet? 

Vote in Westminster later today.    The MP from West Bromwich is trying to influence the whips.

• Haha 2

All this talk about recalling Barnes or not glosses over the simple fact that Puel has to worry at least a bit about his job security, in all likelihood.  Despite what the haters repeat over and over he’s a sharp guy - he knows we’ve gotten very good at stopping goals and pretty lousy at scoring them. 

Ultimately I think the reason for the delay is that Puel would prefer to let Barnes finish the year at WBA, and the club is trying to buy someone externally - most likely Che Adams. If that doesn’t happen, they’ll recall Barnes. I believe anything else is overthinking it.

• Like 1

Does anyone on here actually think it is Claude’s decision? He will probably have sanctioned the loan and will have an input on whether to recall or not, but I don’t think it is his decision to make. The reason for some of the comments in the press will have been to put pressure on Rudkin to trigger the recall.

I really don’t think it is up to Puel, and he shouldn’t get the blame if this goes wrong.

I've always thought he should stay at West Brom, but our attacking options other than Vardy and Maddison are so poor that he could be very useful this season.

Also, are we sure we're after Che Adams? He's not exactly the type of striker I thought we'd buy, we've already got a young striker in Iheanacho, I'd have thought we'd be going after someone older, experienced and more established in the top division. He has got 12 goals in 26 games though, so I suppose he's got an eye for goal, it just depends if he'll carry this into the Prem.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

10 hours ago, StevieB said:

Does he really though. if you look at his stats he's got two assists and two goals so far this season. Alot of his crossing goes to waste because we don't have anyone that can score a header when we play Vardy and Maddison week in and out.

He doesn't create his own goals and rarely comes in off the flank. Now i'm not slating him, I love him as a player, works his socks off for the team attacking and defending but we don't have the strikers to play to his main strength. That's obviously not his fault and would only have been rectified if we had of kept Ulloa or Slimani but whats done is done. Barnes looks to be far more exciting and creates chances with key passes as apposed to crosses, something that Maddison is doing, but not nearly enough. A trio of Vardy, Maddison and Barnes would be much more productive than Vardy, Maddison and Albrighton.  

I would go:

vardy

barns maddison Albrighton 

and inclued them them all definitely want Barnes back but think Albrighton adds so much to the team defensively as well as attacking he needs to stay in and he is much better than gray or Ghezzal imo

• Like 1

Just seen a comment on the West Brom forum that would make sense

West Brom could have requested to keep Barnes until after the Norwich game on Saturday, which to be fair is a pretty big game at the top of the table

It is also believed we have until Monday to recall him

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/harvey-barnes-transfer-latest-west-15648860

So let him play for West Brom saturday, then recall him as the rest of the West Brom squad goes off to Dubai for warm weather training after the match

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

With him going it has to really. We can't rely on three wingers all season, one injury and you're playing the same people non stop with nobody else to help out.

To be fair Puel has also used Pereira as a winger this season, which has worked well

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

To be fair Puel has also used Pereira as a winger this season, which has worked well

I'd rather not be relying on emergency stuff that means pulling a player from their position and replacing them with someone who can't attack. We need more attacking options IMO.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

With him going it has to really. We can't rely on three wingers all season, one injury and you're playing the same people non stop with nobody else to help out.

Our schedule isn't exactly hectic from here on in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Our schedule isn't exactly hectic from here on in.

It might not be, but the point still stands. One injury and you have to play the same to people all game, every game out side. Unless you draft in players from other positions, but then you weaken those areas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

He looked awful last season with us, will half a season in the championship be enough, or is that his level at this stage of his development.

If it is his level, don’t bring him back early, our fans could ruin him, as they won’t be patient, like with nacho, but are ok with Okazaki scoring 1 in 40 appearances 

It interesting, sometimes it's about a player taking he's opportunity, this could be the making or the breaking of him.

He could comeback in the summer and find himself behind a couple of summer signings and struggle to get a look in.

If he comeback he needs to be given a run of games no matter how he does.

I think one of Puel's strengths is managing the development of young players.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1