Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

36 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Our true position in the league will reflect after the next 5 games.

It will reflect after the season is over, to be honest. After 19 games we had played all the other teams and we were 7th - I feel that is more representative than anything we will see over the next few months purely mathematically. But now we will have to wait until the end of the season to play all the teams twice.

31 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

People just need to stop thinking we are 7th and going to remain there.

100% we will finish bottom 10 this season I'd put a years wage on it 

How much does a paper round pay these day's?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

And who is it who thinks that?

The fact is currently we are there and deserve to be.

• Like 2

We need to recall him, he's proved himself now in two championship loan spells. I can see it now next season, he'll get a few chances but if we've not started great we'll start fretting and revert to the tried and tested and he'll be nowhere to be seen again. At least now with where we are he can have the rest of the season to settle into the side.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Tanner seems to think we wont recall him now, how that conclusion has come after a shocking team performance vs Newport is beyond me.

Perhaps we've discussed it with the player and he and his agent / family want to stay there for his development this season. Whilst I'd call him back and play him personally, we are still 7th without him and sometimes you have to listen to peoples wishes, they'll point to last season as a reason why they want him to stay. We also might be after another player who is capable of filling in those forward areas, who knows.

• Like 1

It’s a catch 22 really, recall him and things don’t work out we will all say “should have left him there” he stays and we continue firing blanks and he wins championship player of the season we would all argued he should have come back. If it means we can bring a fresh face in and not worry about any financial aspects then I’m all for it, if he’s good enough he’s ready. 

59 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

And what would be the big problem even if we finished in the bottom half of the table? We are in TRANSITION. Puel has been given a huge task, to make our football club have a model that has long term sustainability. I would fully expect us to have some bottom half table finishes during that period.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

You may be correct about bottom 10 if he fails to address the goals and creativity issues.   This is why not recalling Barnes seems a bizarre decision.:dunno:

Whilst Barnes may not change anything, surely it is worth a punt after Sunday's car crash??

If he comes here and doesn't produce 8/10 displays right away he will be slated. He's better off at WBA for the season.

I know Gray isn't exactly pulling up trees here but does anyone have any proof that Barnes is even better than Gray at this moment? Gray would steamroll the Championship and get into double figures in goals as well.

13 minutes ago, Koke said:

If he comes here and doesn't produce 8/10 displays right away he will be slated. He's better off at WBA for the season.

I know Gray isn't exactly pulling up trees here but does anyone have any proof that Barnes is even better than Gray at this moment? Gray would steamroll the Championship and get into double figures in goals as well.

Great idea, let's not attempt to change our fortunes over the next 4 months.      Youngsters not performing 8/10 is more palatable to most, as opposed to witnessing over the hill older players that 'aint up to it anymore and who will not be here after June.

3 hours ago, bfox said:

I've not seen ndidi improve on the ball at all. Only when hes in that defensive midfield 3 does he have more options closer by who he can find. His passing is poor and shooting even worse whenever hes in a 2. Hope he inproves those, hell be some player if he does!

I hope so too, but realistically, unless he only started playing a few years ago, it is hard to

imagine that he can pick those up when he has not developed them by the time you are a teenager. I mean, ball control is a fundamental skill that you learn when you are young and should be second nature by now. I sense he is limited by his natural limitations unfortunately.

I mean you normally see young players improve in their early 20s composure, decision making, tactical sense, positioning and may be crossing ability, not really basic things like ball control or passing.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps we've discussed it with the player and he and his agent / family want to stay there for his development this season. Whilst I'd call him back and play him personally, we are still 7th without him and sometimes you have to listen to peoples wishes, they'll point to last season as a reason why they want him to stay. We also might be after another player who is capable of filling in those forward areas, who knows.

For once, i'm willing to not get riled about something that may or may not happen but there's a very real possibility Barnes won't be coming back and nor will we be bringing in another winger or forward. Couple this with us stripping out a lot of our fringe players and we are only a couple of injuries away from having to field a whole bench of defenders or academy players. Puel isn't usually one for unnecessarily informing the public about things, he often says we aren't going to sign anyone but then we did do in the summer. I don't get why he's been so public about there being more positive reasons than not to bring Barnes back and then deciding not to. We are 7th and deserve to be, but teams who pat themselves on the back half way through and don't look to strengthen if possible are asking for trouble. We have also finished the last two seasons with a catalogue of injuries in midfield and we will literally have no-one available, praying Ndukwu gets fit again as he will get opportunities.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

For once, i'm willing to not get riled about something that may or may not happen but there's a very real possibility Barnes won't be coming back and nor will we be bringing in another winger or forward. Couple this with us stripping out a lot of our fringe players and we are only a couple of injuries away from having to field a whole bench of defenders or academy players. Puel isn't usually one for unnecessarily informing the public about things, he often says we aren't going to sign anyone but then we did do in the summer. I don't get why he's been so public about there being more positive reasons than not to bring Barnes back and then deciding not to. We are 7th and deserve to be, but teams who pat themselves on the back half way through and don't look to strengthen if possible are asking for trouble. We have also finished the last two seasons with a catalogue of injuries in midfield and we will literally have no-one available, praying Ndukwu gets fit again as he will get opportunities.

Perhaps he actually wanted to, like I say perhaps the players family have gone to Rudkin and said we don't want that, we want him to stay there until the summer. Rudkin grants there wish and Puel has to lump it. We'll never know, but it won't stop people laying the blame all at the managers door.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Koke said:

I'm not so sure he would do. Gray's stats in the Championship were distinctly ordinary and have been in the PL too. He just isn't a player who creates much end product, his assists stats are atrocious. Barnes has scored and assisted on a regular basis at every level he's played at, it'll be a huge test for him but I think he'll cope. But what it ultimately comes down to right now is Gray and Ghezzal have 3 goals and zero assists between them in the league this season, which is borderline a disgrace. We have very little options and that's why it's perfect for Barnes to come and have 5 months getting used to the way we play, give him a free hit like Chilwell seemed to get last season.

• Like 3

The club only willingly loans out deadwood. The younger lads have to ask/plead through via their agents to get loan deals. Fact. 

Barnes and Hamza have massively increased their worth from not playing for us bizarrely. As did Ward at Liverpool.

Harvey enjoyed good but not great spells at MK Dons and Barnsley and expected to see out the season there cutting his teeth.

The guy is developing and West Brom are playing to his strengths, we and him can learn from that. He was pointlessly recalled last Jan and play a few minutes.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I'm not so sure he would do. Gray's stats in the Championship were distinctly ordinary and have been in the PL too. He just isn't a player who creates much end product, his assists stats are atrocious. Barnes has scored and assisted on a regular basis at every level he's played at, it'll be a huge test for him but I think he'll cope. But what it ultimately comes down to right now is Gray and Ghezzal have 3 goals and zero assists between them in the league this season, which is borderline a disgrace. We have very little options and that's why it's perfect for Barnes to come and have 5 months getting used to the way we play, give him a free hit like Chilwell seemed to get last season.

I'm still trying to suss that

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps he actually wanted to, like I say perhaps the players family have gone to Rudkin and said we don't want that, we want him to stay there until the summer. Rudkin grants there wish and Puel has to lump it. We'll never know, but it won't stop people laying the blame all at the managers door.

If that's the case, I hope he communicates this. It's the only way he'll survive the abuse. He doesn't have to pin the blame on anyone either, just say that after discussion with Harvey, his family and West Brom we have decided that it's in the best interests for him to stay there. I had initially wanted to bring him back but long term it's more beneficial he stays there for the season.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If that's the case, I hope he communicates this. It's the only way he'll survive the abuse. He doesn't have to pin the blame on anyone either, just say that after discussion with Harvey, his family and West Brom we have decided that it's in the best interests for him to stay there. I had initially wanted to bring him back but long term it's more beneficial he stays there for the season.

The parents do have a massive influence and have the agents ear as basically they have appointed them. Fair to say Harvey is no different, in fact for obvious reasons is better placed.

Fairness to Claude he is in interested in the academy, Ranieri didn't know they existed.

As Ranieri pointed out he is/was  the coach and basically had little to do with the workings of the club. Whilst I'm sure a manager would have some say, the movement of players is done for them.

The U23s all pray for loans. The senior players refuse them

Whatever happens, as long as the plan wasn't to just bring him back to feature in 2 or 3 cup games then I'm fine with that.

If anybody thought it was a good idea to bring him back from a team where he's doing well and playing week in week out, to sit in the u23's again, that should be a 10 year ban from football - nevermind sacking.