Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Even though all our wingers are inconsistent and some are crap, I have a bad feeling about recalling Barnes. Expectation will be too high and he'll be slated within 30 minutes of his first game if he isn't playing like a prime Mahrez. I think potentially going up with West Brom where he is going to be in double figures for goals/assists will be better for his career.

:appl:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fox85 said:

People just need to stop thinking we are 7th and going to remain there.

100% we will finish bottom 10 this season I'd put a years wage on it 

Man I would love to take you up on that. Shame you’re just saying outrageous things just to get your point across.

I can see why people are concerned about bringing him back.

Personally, I would be trying him ahead of Ghezzal and Gray though and with just 17 games left. I think it could be an incredibly important few months for him back here. 

He isn't been thrown into a relegation dogfight or anything, and perhaps integrating him now will mean he is even better prepared for becoming part of the first team squad for next season. 

If we have no plans to sign a winger in this window, then get him back here and let Puel start working with him now, so hopefully we can see another Chilwell or Choudary type breakthrough. 

• Like 2

If we have serious thoughts about him being part of the first team next season then we should recall him and give him game time between now and the end of the season. If we leave it until the summer we'll probably make some signings and he'll have to have an unbelievable pre-season to get a starting place. Lets see what he can do in this league. Nothing to lose, our other options are inconsistent at best.

That's unfortunate for West Brom but that's not our problem. You take that risk when you loan a player, he is our player. Yes he might to finish the season with West Brom but he should be chomping at the bit to get an opportunity in the Premier League with us.

• Like 2

The following comment will probably be best posted in the "unpopular opinions" thread, but as its about Barnes, this seems like the right place to post it:

I think the best thing to do would be to leave him at West Brom this season, and if he helps them get promoted, offer them the chance to keep hold of him for the first half of the Premier League season. Let them blood him in the top flight. There have been a lot of players over the years who have looked well above Championship standard but have struggled to make the step up. I'm not suggesting that i think he'l struggle in the Premier League (I think he potentially has a massive future in the game - at a higher level than we could even offer him), but as others have said, if he doesn't hit the ground running here with Mahrez-esque performances week in week out, the more vocal of our "loyal" fanbase will probably do the lads confidence more damage than good. I'd imagine that a team coming up from the Championship would be more forgiving if it takes him a bit of time to adjust to the Premier League.

4 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

As far as I know nothing has changed. There has been no conversation between Barnes and the club regarding his recall and I'd expect him to stay where he is. 

As for people saying the club will be talking to his family I can tell you Paul leaves everything for his son to decide and has never influenced Harvey with his choices he's very much his own man and makes his own choices. 

It could still change of course but there is no indication that a recall would happen. 

I said it would be a busy week and expect at least 2 out and a bid in for a forward. 

The bid has gone in and one has left already. 

It's going to be a season of containment from now and clearing as much deadwood now and in the summer as we can to free up squad places and wages in the summer. 

I think if CP can achieve that and and some quality in the summer and deliver us a top half finish this season with the young players all a year older and with more games behind them we will be set for a great season next season. 

Nice, it seems like the most logical plan.

It would be good if the club could come out saying this is the short term plan. It might quieten down the fans that can't get their head around what's going on at the club at the moment.

I suppose it's not quite the right thing to do, to release a statement to the public saying you want to get rid of staff that aren't good enough over the next 8 months.

7 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

As far as I know nothing has changed. There has been no conversation between Barnes and the club regarding his recall and I'd expect him to stay where he is. 

As for people saying the club will be talking to his family I can tell you Paul leaves everything for his son to decide and has never influenced Harvey with his choices he's very much his own man and makes his own choices. 

It could still change of course but there is no indication that a recall would happen. 

I said it would be a busy week and expect at least 2 out and a bid in for a forward. 

It's going to be a season of containment from now and clearing as much deadwood now and in the summer as we can to free up squad places and wages in the summer. 

I think if CP can achieve that and and some quality in the summer and deliver us a top half finish this season with the young players all a year older and with more games behind them we will be set for a great season next season. 

Reckon that forward could be Che Adams? 

9 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

What is the matter man! How dare you come on here and spout complete sense, you will be hung drawn and quartered by some

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, That_Dude said:

I'm pretty sure he sees it as much as you and you don't know if he isn't going to introduce him in his 4-2-3-1. Either that or we have a CM lined-up in january. If anything, Newport taught us the importance of Mendy and Ndidi to shield our defense, as you certainly saw how Morgan and Evans, although regular starters, struggled against them. It might be at the cost of the attack but you have to get the points somewhere and our wingers, Gray and Ghezzal in particular, are simply not good enough.

You're one of the best posters here and frankly, while I understand your point of view, your impatience is taking me a bit by surprise.

This is a good point and one I hadn't really considered. 

Maybe Puel sets up defensively because he doesn't believe we're strong enough offensively for that to be our focus. He rates our chances of winning 1-0 more than he does 3-2.

That said I do still think we can afford to set up with more attacking intent at home against the lesser sides.

11 hours ago, That_Dude said:

I'm pretty sure he sees it as much as you and you don't know if he isn't going to introduce him in his 4-2-3-1. Either that or we have a CM lined-up in january. If anything, Newport taught us the importance of Mendy and Ndidi to shield our defense, as you certainly saw how Morgan and Evans, although regular starters, struggled against them. It might be at the cost of the attack but you have to get the points somewhere and our wingers, Gray and Ghezzal in particular, are simply not good enough.

You're one of the best posters here and frankly, while I understand your point of view, your impatience is taking me a bit by surprise.

You are right in the sense that we lost a lot of the defensive cover by not having Ndidi and Mendy there but I think the main issue sadly was James. Choudhury I thought was one of the only players to come out of Sunday with any credit. James looked completely off the pace to me, it's sad to see but I just don't think he's ever going to get it back.

The point really is I think against say, Southampton this weekend, you could get away with playing just the one of Mendy and Ndidi, Choudhury in there too, then Maddison. Choudhury I thought was a big reason we got those results over Christmas and while it's simplistic to say we lost the Cardiff game because of his lack of presence, I don't think it's a huge co-incidence either. He's not Kante good, but he's that kind of player, you can see a hint of Kante in him.

The solution going forward isn't clear but we've seriously got to look at getting Barnes back in now. Ghezzal looks like everything Monaco fans warned us he'd be and Gray has just never cut it for me. I've seen us play 4-2-3-1 enough with this personnel to be convinced that it just doesn't really work against defensive sides. When the goals are coming because of unforced errors then I can't really attribute the goal to the system.

4 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Even though all our wingers are inconsistent and some are crap, I have a bad feeling about recalling Barnes. Expectation will be too high and he'll be slated within 30 minutes of his first game if he isn't playing like a prime Mahrez. I think potentially going up with West Brom where he is going to be in double figures for goals/assists will be better for his career.

I do get this as well to be fair. Could be damaging putting a tonne of expectation on him.

The plan with Barnes is faltering simply because others aren't performing well enough. Gray really needs to step up.

A lot of theories on him coming back and failing to make an impact and the damage of that. The flip side, and just as likely IMO, is he comes back and continues his good form and he benefits hugely from Puel showing real belief in him, which he is then able to take on into next season when he will very likely be part of our first team squad.

Spot on that man!. He should be recalled and put straight into the side, in my opinion he has no competition Gray and Ghezzal simply not good enough,

He will need half a season to get readjusted back here,a few pre - season friendly's  isn't enough time to hit the ground running..

• Like 3