Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

Just now, Poznan34 said:

Nothing like a positive attitude eh! lol

Just think it's going to be extremely tough until the summer.

Look in reality he's done quite a good job but the team he has needs a lot of improvement.

No signings coming in this window just got to wait till the summer I think in 3 seasons we might be a great team just depends what league that team will be in.

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

to be honest Puels team selections say to me we are an attacking team and never have I thought oh that looks a defensive side, I think its more the players not gelling properly as of yet and young players learning the trade

You don't think the 433 is a def side? With Albrighton in there to boot? We don't even play a DM who can reliably link play fwd. We are playing 3 destroyers out there. We have our striker getting 4-6 touches in a half. We have had games we don't get a shot on goal. Puel is defense first, most every match we play. 

Not that I mind it, it works well with Hamza. But it makes for a pretty turgid attack unless we are on the counter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Tanner seems to think we wont recall him now, how that conclusion has come after a shocking team performance vs Newport is beyond me.

Puel's body language indicated he wanted to beat Newport. And he spoke about not wanting to cup tie Barnes too. He planned to play Barnes in the cup, I bet. Keeping Barnes at West Brom will not harm him, but it also won't make our season more interesting either...

3 minutes ago, vanity said:

You don't think the 433 is a def side? With Albrighton in there to boot? We don't even play a DM who can reliably link play fwd. We are playing 3 destroyers out there. We have our striker getting 4-6 touches in a half. We have had games we don't get a shot on goal. Puel is defense first, most every match we play. 

Not that I mind it, it works well with Hamza. But it makes for a pretty turgid attack unless we are on the counter.

4-3-3 is yea I was on about his previous formation I was going put that in.

the majority of games he has played that other formation and tbh I always thought we look like we have setup to attack.

15 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

4-3-3 is yea I was on about his previous formation I was going put that in.

the majority of games he has played that other formation and tbh I always thought we look like we have setup to attack.

Fair enough. I think I am always focused on the DMs, I watch us being slow and indecisive in the MF moving it fwd and I think we're too defensive in the 4231 as well, we need a DM who can link the attack. But def I can see your point, and I believe Claude wants the lads to attack more than they do in it. Sometimes I think we're too worried about losing possession pressing forward, tho who cares if we lose possession on their side of the pitch if 3-5 get through and give Vards those 1-on-1 opportunities he has begun burying again? Not me, I'm hoping to see more aggression the 2nd half.

Mind you, I think we are seeing progress from Ndidi on the ball, he looks much more confident and deliberate with his dribbling and passing. If he can improve in those areas a bit more, we might start seeing play linked more quickly, and some more counter-attacking opportunities as a consequence.

• Like 4

Choudhury should be starting every game for us in a 4-3-3. I wouldn't play the trio of him, Ndidi and Mendy every game but I'd play Choudhury as he sets the bar for the others with his intensity. Maybe drop Maddison into the midfield trio against the defensive sides to get him involved in the attacking build-up earlier than in 4-2-3-1.

If Puel can't see that this 4-2-3-1 with Mendy and Ndidi isn't working against the defensive sides then I'm lost for words in all honesty. It's just the same every time, slowly get it out to the winger to put in a cross we've no chance of winning. Awful football.

• Like 1

This should be an ideal time to recall Barnes.  With nothing left to play for, we could give him a run in the team without pressure, and a chance to integrate him into the first team squad, have a really good look at him, and hopefully prepare him for next season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

to be honest Puels team selections say to me we are an attacking team and never have I thought oh that looks a defensive side, I think its more the players not gelling properly as of yet and young players learning the trade

It is the manager’s responsibility (and why he gets paid) to make the players gel. Look at Man Utd. Play to their strengths and look at them score free flow.

The main problem is our CM which we have identified in other threads including the Ndidi thread.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Choudhury should be starting every game for us in a 4-3-3. I wouldn't play the trio of him, Ndidi and Mendy every game but I'd play Choudhury as he sets the bar for the others with his intensity. Maybe drop Maddison into the midfield trio against the defensive sides to get him involved in the attacking build-up earlier than in 4-2-3-1.

If Puel can't see that this 4-2-3-1 with Mendy and Ndidi isn't working against the defensive sides then I'm lost for words in all honesty. It's just the same every time, slowly get it out to the winger to put in a cross we've no chance of winning. Awful football.

I'm pretty sure he sees it as much as you and you don't know if he isn't going to introduce him in his 4-2-3-1. Either that or we have a CM lined-up in january. If anything, Newport taught us the importance of Mendy and Ndidi to shield our defense, as you certainly saw how Morgan and Evans, although regular starters, struggled against them. It might be at the cost of the attack but you have to get the points somewhere and our wingers, Gray and Ghezzal in particular, are simply not good enough.

You're one of the best posters here and frankly, while I understand your point of view, your impatience is taking me a bit by surprise.

3 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Of course Claude Puel doesnt want to recall him.

He knows he's got goals in him and a attacking threat.

Something this deluded manager does not like. I know he won't get sacked but buckle in lads because the 2nd half of this season is going to be ****ing dreadful 

I hope you are wrong. Do you?

7 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Puel's body language indicated he wanted to beat Newport. And he spoke about not wanting to cup tie Barnes too. He planned to play Barnes in the cup, I bet. Keeping Barnes at West Brom will not harm him, but it also won't make our season more interesting either...

Then recall him for the Newport game. You dont intend to bring a player back purely for a few cup games but wait until getting through the first one to do then to it, its bizarre. Actually the more I think about how strange it is, the more it's likely to be true with Puel.

7 hours ago, vanity said:

Fair enough. I think I am always focused on the DMs, I watch us being slow and indecisive in the MF moving it fwd and I think we're too defensive in the 4231 as well, we need a DM who can link the attack. But def I can see your point, and I believe Claude wants the lads to attack more than they do in it. Sometimes I think we're too worried about losing possession pressing forward, tho who cares if we lose possession on their side of the pitch if 3-5 get through and give Vards those 1-on-1 opportunities he has begun burying again? Not me, I'm hoping to see more aggression the 2nd half.

Mind you, I think we are seeing progress from Ndidi on the ball, he looks much more confident and deliberate with his dribbling and passing. If he can improve in those areas a bit more, we might start seeing play linked more quickly, and some more counter-attacking opportunities as a consequence.

I've not seen ndidi improve on the ball at all. Only when hes in that defensive midfield 3 does he have more options closer by who he can find. His passing is poor and shooting even worse whenever hes in a 2. Hope he inproves those, hell be some player if he does!

Edited by bfox

54 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I would have thought it's unfair to leave WBA in limbo, so the silence on this suggests he may stay. 

They're probably not in limbo, they probably know whats going on or have a date as to when it will be confirmed.

Just because we don't know doesn't mean the club haven't sorted it out.

Guest Cujek
8 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

If Tanner is correct and we aren't recalling him I pray it's because we have someone else in the pipeline. Can't take another 4 months of Gray & Ghezzal 

We aren't signing anyone this window, we also aren't bringing barnes back.

18 minutes ago, Cujek said:

We aren't signing anyone this window, we also aren't bringing barnes back.

If true and Puel's makes 7th spot, then he should be given a contract extension as that will be a job well done.   With our lack of goals and creativity this would be a brave decision by Puel.    

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

If true and Puel's makes 7th spot, then he should be given a contract extension as that will be a job well done.   With our lack of goals and creativity this would be a brave decision by Puel.    

Our true position in the league will reflect after the next 5 games.

10 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

A contract extension for Puel. Bloody hope not. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Our true position in the league will reflect after the next 5 games.

Why? The fact that we can beat Chelsea and Man City but lose to Cardiff clearly shows that the fixtures mean nothing. The next 5 games wont tell us anything at all. Its not set in stone which games we will get our points. We could lose our next 5 games but then go and win the 5 after.

How is Puel meant to introduce long term goals when people cant look past the next 5 games?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Why? The fact that we can beat Chelsea and Man City but lose to Cardiff clearly shows that the fixtures mean nothing. The next 5 games wont tell us anything at all. Its not set in stone which games we will get our points. We could lose our next 5 games but then go and win the 5 after.

How is Puel meant to introduce long term goals when people cant look past the next 5 games?

People just need to stop thinking we are 7th and going to remain there.

100% we will finish bottom 10 this season I'd put a years wage on it 

• Like 1