Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Loan watch 2018-19

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/09/blogs/scottish-premier-league/celtic-fans-hail-benkovic-display-v-rosenborg/

The deadline day loan signing from Leicester City started alongside Dedryck Boyata in a flat back four, with Mikael Lustig and Kieran Tierney in the full-back positions.

Many Celtic followers were impressed with what they saw from Benkovic on a night when he played the full 90 minutes and the winning goal was scored by substitute Leigh Griffiths.

This Is Futbol has rounded up some of the best tweets below.

COMMENTARY:

Who can blame the Celtic fans for getting excited? Forced to watch so many average centre-backs since Virgil Van Dijk pulled the Rolls Royce out of the gravel and purred south of the border, there is a sense the club have a real gem in their ranks. On first impressions, Benkovic looks a unit who is made for top-level competition. Following an impressive debut in last Friday’s otherwise forgettable goalless draw against St Mirren, the 21-year-old Croatian looked the part as Brendan Rodgers switched from a three-man defence back to a flat back four. Benkovic did not looked bothered one bit by the Rosenborg attack on a night when Celtic secured their first European group stage home win in 11 matches. That said, Celtic were once again fairly mediocre going forwards as the fans still await the thunderclap to remind everyone how good the team is. At least, they have a hugely promising centre-back in their ranks. At last.

Willie Farrelly
@bigwilliebhoy
 · 8h
Replying to @BingBhoyJim and 2 others
Still think they could play together. And imho 3 at back is accident waiting to happen. Benkovic did well but Lustig murder and big Dedryk bomb-scare...

Jimmy farrelly
@BingBhoyJim
Still a young boy Edouard but the game passed him by tonight LG born sniffer fully fit he has to play him,Tierney outstanding Benkovic was excellent might calm big Boyata doon eventually,midfield were mostly aff the pace still 3 great points !

1:16 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See Jimmy farrelly's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Benkovic is a player

— ???? (@1978GLA) September 20, 2018

CM
@Googhan
 Filip Benkovic and Dedryck Boyata, the Feenian wall.

12:43 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See CM's other Tweets

Celtic Football Club

@CelticFC
 · 9h
 ?#CELRBK #UEL pic.twitter.com/ZGCSSnNHyJ

View image on Twitter

seanzolio
@seanzolio
Looks a good player Billy Benkovic.

12:51 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See seanzolio's other Tweets

Brendan'sGreen&White
@top_tipz
 Benkovic. Pipe and slippers tonight. Never put a foot wrong. Player

1:02 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See Brendan'sGreen&White's other Tweets

n/a
@ainswurf
 Benkovic really showed how average Ajer has been. Guy is levels above.

12:39 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See n/a's other Tweets

pupster
@pupster67
 £1m in plastic surgeon fees to make Simunovic look exactly like Benkovic before January would be money well spent #faceoff ?

12:25 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See pupster's other Tweets

John Bradshaw
@JBLuvsCeltic
 · 8h
 Celtic held Norwegian leaders - and 3 time defending champions - Rosenborg to zero shots on target. Well done defensively.

SmiddyBhoy
@SmiddyBhoy1
Boyata is still a bombscare at times ....Benkovic looks the real deal( on first impressions) ....my choice would be a back 3 of Simonovic Benkovic and Ajer

12:17 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See SmiddyBhoy's other Tweets

RICKSTER78
@rickymcleod123
 Watching big Benkovic tonight, thinking maybe prematurely could be another Van Diyk on our hands. Think we need to beg Leicester for another season loan. ??

12:13 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See RICKSTER78's other Tweets

James Campbell
@underagemaddog
 Struggling to put intae words how much of a player Benkovic is

12:07 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See James Campbell's other Tweets

606AlfieConn
@606AlfieConn
 Benkovic will not need to wash his shirt, never broke sweat all night, he could be class ??????

12:04 AM - Sep 21, 2018
See 606AlfieConn's other Tweets

Mark McGuire
@markmcguire04
 Benkovic was star man for me tonight. Griffiths also showed once again why he is our No.1 striker!!!! ??????

12:00 AM - Sep 21, 2018 · Kilwinning, Scotland
See Mark McGuire's other Tweets
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Aidan Ritchie
@AidanRitchie27
 Now, I don't really like to hype a player after a good game.

However, Filip Benković is the best CB Celtic have had since Billy McNeill & I'll cry when he returns to Leicester

11:43 PM - Sep 20, 2018
See Aidan Ritchie's other Tweets

Chris Lammie
@chrislammie
 Big Benkovic, unit.

11:23 PM - Sep 20, 2018
See Chris Lammie's other Tweets

• Like 1

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/astonishing-filip-benkovic-stats-defender-13283426

0_JS163133999.jpg

Filip Benkovic has a shot on goal

Leicester City have got themselves a cracker and Celtic are reaping the rewards and the stats show that. He was near perfect alongside Dedryck Boyata.

He was on target with 82 of his 86 passes on the night, which is good for a 95 per cent completion rate. He also won two tackles but one stat in particular is sure to catch the eye.

Benkovic recovered 10 balls on the night, which is a truly staggering number. To put that into context, skipper Scott Brown only managed one on the night and no one else in the Hoops team had more than four.

Am I the only one that finds it interesting that we signed him, clearly not a Puel signing, and sent him straight on loan to someone we have already approached for the managers job on a number of occasions?

It was a strange loan anyway as at the time he could have been playing Champions League football every week! 

Or another way of looking at it, he only agreed to join if we loaned him out to a team playing in Europe until we got there ourselves?

Edited by AjcW

On 21/09/2018 at 13:36, AjcW said:

Am I the only one that finds it interesting that we signed him, clearly not a Puel signing, and sent him straight on loan to someone we have already approached for the managers job on a number of occasions?

It was a strange loan anyway as at the time he could have been playing Champions League football every week! 

Or another way of looking at it, he only agreed to join if we loaned him out to a team playing in Europe until we got there ourselves?

We have a lot of CB’s on our books though, i’m assuming (despite current evidence to the contrary) that Caglar is in Puel’s plans.

Far better to snap him up at the right price  when we had the chance and loan him out. Coming from being a starter at one of the top team’s  in his country to playing in front of around 150 for our U23’s would be soul destroying. 

On 21/09/2018 at 13:36, AjcW said:

Why can't people accept he may have spotted a gem of a player or give him credit for anything? It's always his fault if it goes wrong but never credited when it goes right. Barmy.

He asked to go out on loan and Celtic play in Europe and play a nice style of football so why not let him get some experience? We have a lot of CBs on our books and letting him go out and get games rather than sit in our u23s is beneficial to both us and the player. 

41 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Why can't people accept he may have spotted a gem of a player or give him credit for anything? It's always his fault if it goes wrong but never credited when it goes right. Barmy.

He asked to go out on loan and Celtic play in Europe and play a nice style of football so why not let him get some experience? We have a lot of CBs on our books and letting him go out and get games rather than sit in our u23s is beneficial to both us and the player. 

Sorry mate this post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek lol I’m very much Puel in I just wanted to test reactions to bringing up deluded Brendan again lol 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Sorry mate this post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek lol I’m very much Puel in I just wanted to test reactions to bringing up deluded Brendan again lol 

Sorry pal, saw the Puel slating and just went off on one :sweating: Get sick of him being slated and just let loose 

• Like 1

Thomas not in the squad is surprising for me. I thought he was much better than Barnes last season and good enough to make their team on a regular basis.

Benkovich injury is a little worrying.