Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Shinji Okazaki - the forgotten man

Maybe he is a buggy driver in the automotive age -- the world’s only “Leicester 10” when Puel is finally obsoleting that job.  But I’d still keep him on.  There will be second halves where a terrier is needed to energize a high press, and from somewhere, he’ll get a goal.  Which will make me even happier than any other player’s goal.

Firing Shinji and King in the same window would take a little too much out of me TBH.

• Like 2

My main concern is his fitness. He struggled with injuries and barely featured in the second half of last season. But if fit I’d also like to see him stay in the squad for the final year of his contract and be an impact sub. I’d be gutted if he leaves but if he wants to leave you have to respect that how can you say no to that smiley face ?

He's an OK-ish squad player that can come on with 15 to go to run around a bit.

What will happen though is that he will go missing for weeks on end, appear in couple of games scoring 2 in 5 and suddenly some people will think he's the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality he is a very poor player.

It's pointless to bring up his contribution in 15/16. Robert Huth was magnificent as well, do you want him in our squad?

I'll keep Okazaki because he isn't a disruptive figure and I presume he isn't on huge wages + his contract runs out this season.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2018 at 09:39, Stadt said:

On a terminal decline. He offers almost nothing in the ball these days and that’s not good enough for a player operating behind the striker. He’s got 3 assists in 93 appearances and to put that into context Maguire 4 assists last season alone. He’s industrious, granted, but is it wise to keep a 32 year old whose main asset is running? He’s barely going to play at all  and I’d sell him personally.

If doesn’t change the fact he was immense in the title winning season and an all round lovely bloke.

You know you don't suddenly lose your pace just because you get past 30?  

I think you're being harsh, his ability to make clever off the ball runs to make space for others is beyond that of an inexperienced Kelechi or Maddisson. As others have said, he ignites a game with his work rate and ability off the ball to tirelessly close down defenders.

Him and Vardy are the best at the high pressing game, which despite peoples strange obsession with possession (didn't win us the league or get Burnley into Europe) we will still need to play some games where we soak it all up and hit on the counter. There will be teams with much better technical ability to us that will literally read our every move in possession based football. In games like this we will need Shinji's work rate and high pressure game, Kelechi is terrible at playing this role and I'm not sure Maddison has the engine to keep it going like Shinji does.

40 minutes ago, Koke said:

He's an OK-ish squad player that can come on with 15 to go to run around a bit.

What will happen though is that he will go missing for weeks on end, appear in couple of games scoring 2 in 5 and suddenly some people will think he's the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality he is a very poor player.

It's pointless to bring up his contribution in 15/16. Robert Huth was magnificent as well, do you want him in our squad?

I'll keep Okazaki because he isn't a disruptive figure and I presume he isn't on huge wages + his contract runs out this season.

I'd have a fit Huth over Benni any day of the week. Infact a back 3 of Huth, Morgan and Maguire (for the pace) sounds like an unbreakable brick wall. 

A very poor player?? Really??  

Dear god you people are blind to wjat happens in football off the ball.

• Like 3

Gyardian analysis of Shinji's contributions

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.esdfanalysis.com/set-piece-analysis/leicester-city-corner-analysis-1718/amp/

Off the ball contribution and technical ability is top notch. 

No idea how anyone can call him a very poor player or lacking technically? If you are saying such things, then you're clearly short in your understanding of his role. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

You know you don't suddenly lose your pace just because you get past 30?  

I think you're being harsh, his ability to make clever off the ball runs to make space for others is beyond that of an inexperienced Kelechi or Maddisson. As others have said, he ignites a game with his work rate and ability off the ball to tirelessly close down defenders.

Him and Vardy are the best at the high pressing game, which despite peoples strange obsession with possession (didn't win us the league or get Burnley into Europe) we will still need to play some games where we soak it all up and hit on the counter. There will be teams with much better technical ability to us that will literally read our every move in possession based football. In games like this we will need Shinji's work rate and high pressure game, Kelechi is terrible at playing this role and I'm not sure Maddison has the engine to keep it going like Shinji does.

He had two injuries last season and is offering less and less. He’s declining, it’s natural - his ability to pressure is his best attribute and he’s getting worse at it. He’s a nice squad player but we don’t need him. Okazaki was crucially important in 15/16 but now doesn’t offer enough. 

12 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He had two injuries last season and is offering less and less. He’s declining, it’s natural - his ability to pressure is his best attribute and he’s getting worse at it. He’s a nice squad player but we don’t need him. Okazaki was crucially important in 15/16 but now doesn’t offer enough. 

We will have to agree to disagree. He scored some great and important goals last season to get us started too. 

15 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Gyardian analysis of Shinji's contributions

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.esdfanalysis.com/set-piece-analysis/leicester-city-corner-analysis-1718/amp/

Off the ball contribution and technical ability is top notch. 

No idea how anyone can call him a very poor player or lacking technically? If you are saying such things, then you're clearly short in your understanding of his role. 

We all love Shinji & he had an instrumental role in the title winning team through his tenacity & work rate which we will obviously never forget but to say he’s technically good is crazy. He struggles to pass the ball to a teammate if they are more than 10yards away, can’t strike a ball cleanly from outside the box & spends alot of the time on his arse winning free kicks from not being able to trap a ball dead.

Sounds harsh but it’s true

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Albert said:

We all love Shinji & he had an instrumental role in the title winning team through his tenacity & work rate which we will obviously never forget but to say he’s technically good is crazy. He struggles to pass the ball to a teammate if they are more than 10yards away, can’t strike a ball cleanly from outside the box & spends alot of the time on his arse winning free kicks from not being able to trap a ball dead.

Sounds harsh but it’s true

It's very harsh and clearly untrue. I love the way in this site you can quote articles, display videos and provide in game analysis and yet still people just........

Ah never mind. ?

28 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

It's very harsh and clearly untrue. I love the way in this site you can quote articles, display videos and provide in game analysis and yet still people just........

Ah never mind. ?

As I’ve already said it does seem very harsh but the reality is that it’s true. Without question He’s one of the best in the league at chasing lost causes, running non stop & working for the team but technically he’s very limited for a CF which is backed up by his stats of 14goals & 6 assists in 93apps! It’s quite hard to provide analysis & video clips of players mis placing passes/shots etc but feel free to share the vids of his goals and assists that back up your claims of him being a technically good player...

5 hours ago, Albert said:

As I’ve already said it does seem very harsh but the reality is that it’s true. Without question He’s one of the best in the league at chasing lost causes, running non stop & working for the team but technically he’s very limited for a CF which is backed up by his stats of 14goals & 6 assists in 93apps! It’s quite hard to provide analysis & video clips of players mis placing passes/shots etc but feel free to share the vids of his goals and assists that back up your claims of him being a technically good player...

But he's not their to score goals. As I said, even with evidence to support ones statement people on this board still just say the same thing without even considering evidence shared.  

If runs to make space counted as assists he'd be one of the top players for it. 

Anyway as I said. We'll have to agree to disagree.

• 6 months later...

This guy totally changed the game today when he came on the field. His pressing totally energized the whole team and shut down Fulham playing out from the back. I don't remember ever seeing someone make such an impact off the bench.

Hat's off to you Shinji. You're an absolute animal.