Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mehrez

Söyüncü Signs

2 hours ago, murphy said:

New signings are supposed to be better than what you have already otherwise what's the point.  Benkovic was the one for the future, Soyuncu I would have expected to play.

His signing was a club record for a centre half.  We needed to bring in centre halves with an ageing Morgan and departed Huth, I think it is reasonable to expect a new signing to get into the team.

He did. The other new signing that is

11 hours ago, murphy said:

New signings are supposed to be better than what you have already otherwise what's the point.  Benkovic was the one for the future, Soyuncu I would have expected to play.

His signing was a club record for a centre half.  We needed to bring in centre halves with an ageing Morgan and departed Huth, I think it is reasonable to expect a new signing to get into the team.

Points well made.  Wes's Red Card may have been a blessing in disguise.  Have patience, Caglar will play against Wolves.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I've heard the English lessons aren't going very well ...   he's still on    "Ma nim viz Coglar, ind I pleee funtboll" ...   

In all fairness, trying to explain to him in English the workings of  'zonal marking', when the rest of our defense cannot grasp it, Puel may have a point.

• Haha 1

I agree with stability, but any manager who constantly ask players like Maguire and Morgan to play a high line, with fullbacks pushing on is asking for trouble.

I would also question why we have invested in 3 centrebacks and not one of them is in the starting 11.

Maybe we could have just brought one quality one and had Morgan as backup, rather then paying the wages and transfer fee for 3! 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Literally no other club in this league would spend £25m on a defender and not even have him on the bench or make even a sub appearance in a dog muck cup, it's staggering.

It really is, I'm not really sure how it can happen. 

Something is clearly wrong, this can't all be done to fitness.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

It really is, I'm not really sure how it can happen. 

Something is clearly wrong, this can't all be done to fitness.

You'd hope that Puel is thoroughly pissed off with his captain now for his ill discipline not once but twice already this season. I could forget about Bournemouth if he didn't follow it up very quickly with those barrage of needless fouls on Saturday. The ones in the 2nd half were absolutely pointless, in and around the half way line. For that reason I think Soyuncu must now be considered fair game for a chance but no doubt Evans comes in and the mystery will continue.

• Like 2

We didn’t need to sign 3 CB’s in the summer, it was complete overkill. Worst of all is non of them are in the first 11.

Hate to say it but looking back, the summer transfer window was poor. The only good signings so far have been Maddison (immediately into the starting 11) and Ward (seemingly a solid cup keeper). 

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

We didn’t need to sign 3 CB’s in the summer, it was complete overkill. Worst of all is non of them are in the first 11.

Hate to say it but looking back, the summer transfer window was poor. The only good signings so far have been Maddison (immediately into the starting 11) and Ward (seemingly a solid cup keeper). 

Tbf I think it was good business ...   Huth is out of it and Morgan is definitely on a downward slope .. a good squad player but should not now be first choice.  Maguire seems to want to stay but lets not count our chickens.  Evans is slightly disappointing but has been hampered on reaching full fitness. I've no idea how good these 2 new CB's are but if they are as good as we have been led to believe then they are our future.  One it getting valuable experience (and when that decision was made we did seem to have plenty of cover) and the other, apparently is learning basic English ...   he will then have to gain match fitness.   Our defence was always a problem and our ageing back line had to be totally overhauled.  We must be looking to at least try 3 at the back at some point and it is then just a question of getting the right combination.   I'm pleased with our recruitment and planning but admit we have had a few knock backs which haven't helped.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Tbf I think it was good business ...   Huth is out of it and Morgan is definitely on a downward slope .. a good squad player but should not now be first choice.  Maguire seems to want to stay but lets not count our chickens.  Evans is slightly disappointing but has been hampered on reaching full fitness. I've no idea how good these 2 new CB's are but if they are as good as we have been led to believe then they are our future.  One it getting valuable experience (and when that decision was made we did seem to have plenty of cover) and the other, apparently is learning basic English ...   he will then have to gain match fitness.   Our defence was always a problem and our ageing back line had to be totally overhauled.  We must be looking to at least try 3 at the back at some point and it is then just a question of getting the right combination.   I'm pleased with our recruitment and planning but admit we have had a few knock backs which haven't helped.

It was good business if 2 out of 3 of them become a success but you run the risk of severely pissing them off by not giving them a game. It must be quite insulting as well when the current defenders being picked are shipping goals, making howlers and generally being liabilities. Puel has so far failed to make us remotely sound defensively, bizarre for a manager with a pragmatic reputation. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shane said:

Ward was £12.6m, 25 years old and came here to be second choice. Hardly an inspiring signing especially as Kasper signed a new five year contract about a month later. So by the the end of that five years we'll either have a reserve GK on huge wages as a 36yo or a £12.6m 30yo who is coming to the end of his contract and never made the first team.

If I owned the clubs heads would roll for the amount of money we spend on players who don't improve us. It just looks like there isn't enough research going in to players, it's either players who don't play or players who come in and are moved out of position. 

I 'm not complaining about the Benkovic signing and him going out on loan as he's young and we apparently got him not because we needed him but we rated him and he was available for a value price. It's signings like Ward and Ghezzal who cost good money, are mid 20's so unlikely to improve a great deal and just aren't good enough to command a regular starting place. 

• Like 2

Puel had no say in the signing of him, Evans or Benkovic - all Macia.

After he badgered them all summer to sign Ghezzal when they thought the priority should be defence - They basically stopped listening to him.

Its a similar situation to Jakupovic and Shakespeare. Managers dont respond well to being given players they havent asked for.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Sad 1

On 22/09/2018 at 20:53, murphy said:

Supposed...nothing, you can't bet into football,if you believe that....

new signing are usually doing mix n pik!!!   Always 1-2 you sign for the next seasons,not the immediate...

but your last sentences do run to expectations,Maguire and team IMO does need a new CB partner......

leaning on Wes was/is worth a punt......but by the EOS  we should see a new pairing,with WES being phased out

And A cup in his hand....:scarf:

This red, he could of got  this 10 or 2 yrs ago...CBs and refs...!!  Love Inconsistency

Some city fans shooting too high....!

1 minute ago, Abrasive fox said:

Puel had no say in the signing of him, Evans or Benkovic - all Macia.

After he badgered them all summer to sign Ghezzal when they thought the priority should be defence. They basically stopped listening to him.

Its a similar situation to Jakupovic and Shakespeare. Managers dont respond well to being given players they havent asked for.

It's not great when Puel and Macia are not on the same page, something has to give.

55 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Literally no other club in this league would spend £25m on a defender and not even have him on the bench or make even a sub appearance in a dog muck cup, it's staggering.

To play devil's advocate (pretty alarming we havent played him in a Cup mind - but I'd like to think thats because we are taking them serious), I've seen plenty of foreign defenders immediately come play in England and look fooking idiots until they got up to speed. Mangala, Evra and Mertesacker spring to mind

• Like 2