Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mehrez

Söyüncü Signs

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

He is impressive but I think something we need to bear in mind when/if he plays next to Maguire is the CM’s need to drop into their positions when they go walkers.

Soyuncu chases the ball like a little kid more often than not which will leave gaping holes in the centre of our defence and with Maguire’s tendency to go walkies this could be a disaster should N’Didi or Mendy not drop back to cover this space.

Think those are good points particularly in regards to Maguire who's forays forward aren't always that great because he instantly slows things down and then sometimes leaves the defence under pressure. There can usually only be room for one ball playing cb unless they are both incredibly disciplined and unselfish in the recognition of the defensive side of their duties. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

When Morgan gets clean sheets against Cardiff and Burnley "it's only Cardiff and Burnley"

When Soyuncu gets clean sheets against Southampton, a team with less goals than the other two "He's better than Morgan, get him in the team".

lol

But seriously, glad he played well. He was alright against a poor West Ham as well, although I thought he was lucky having committed so many fouls. Morgan has been sent off twice for similar.

Agree the top bit is not an argument.

However, Soyuncu is certainly no worse than Morgan and he has barely played for us, whereas Morgan has been with the team for 4 odd years. Morgan's contract is up and he'll hopefully move on, we need to build for the future so Soyuncu and Maguire should be the pairing to go forward and gel. No point not playing Soyuncu this season and then having to throw him in next year fresh and it takes 10 games to build a partnership, another season wasted.

Nothing against Morgan, he has served well but it's time to develop the future central defensive partnership. Evans and Morgan can be good replacements, cup players.

2 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Agree the top bit is not an argument.

However, Soyuncu is certainly no worse than Morgan and he has barely played for us, whereas Morgan has been with the team for 4 odd years. Morgan's contract is up and he'll hopefully move on, we need to build for the future so Soyuncu and Maguire should be the pairing to go forward and gel. No point not playing Soyuncu this season and then having to throw him in next year fresh and it takes 10 games to build a partnership, another season wasted.

Nothing against Morgan, he has served well but it's time to develop the future central defensive partnership. Evans and Morgan can be good replacements, cup players.

I agree entirely... just find the one rule for one and one rule for another stuff frustrating.

22 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

He did play really well last night but I don't get why people are calling for him to play instead of Evans. I get not wanting to play Morgan and Evans together but Evans is starting to look really good. 

Yeah Evans has been very solid recently. He’s no world beater but can do a good job. Proving to be a decent acquisition. 

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah Evans has been very solid recently. He’s no world beater but can do a good job. Proving to be a decent acquisition. 

I guess having Maguire has probably made us forget that the most important thing is to be able to defend. And Evans is both footed and still capable of playing some nice passes so it's not like he's just an out and out defender.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

He did play really well last night but I don't get why people are calling for him to play instead of Evans. I get not wanting to play Morgan and Evans together but Evans is starting to look really good. 

I think it's probably his pace that people are really enthused about as that's something we have really been struggling with. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Think those are good points particularly in regards to Maguire who's forays forward aren't always that great because he instantly slows things down and then sometimes leaves the defence under pressure. There can usually only be room for one ball playing cb unless they are both incredibly disciplined and unselfish in the recognition of the defensive side of their duties. 

Good points there, and from @Costock_Fox too. Good points because they match my observations! (mentioned just now in the match thread)

I think Maguire and Soyuncu are too similar to play together (Soyuncu was perhaps signed with one eye on Maguire moving on and as his replacement) Soyuncu is still learning and there will be some improvements/changes but he looks very much in the mould of Maguire and I don't see that changing. Personally, I'd prefer Maguire didn't go on his forays forward precisely because he is prone to lose possession and put us under pressure at the back - I appreciate that it's part of Puel's tactics to press and outnumber but it also comes with risks. If Soyuncu can show himself to be more adept with the ball at his feet then I think we might see him as both a replacement for, and an improvement on, Maguire.   

Edited by FoxNotFox
  • Like 3

I think he'll be excellent for us if he doesn't get homesick and leaves after 1 year. 

So strong, good level of skill with the ball at his feet and seems to have a good pass on him (back-passes to the keeper aside).  Also pleased with his heading ability yesterday but no danger at all when he went forward for corners etc

From the Mercury:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/caglar-soyuncu-the-future-leicester-2271496

Caglar Soyuncu is “the future of Leicester City”, according to centre-back partner Jonny Evans.

Turkish international Soyuncu made his second senior start for the club against Southampton on Tuesday, impressing alongside Evans as City recorded a clean sheet.

The 22-year-old has taken a while to settle since his £19million summer move from Freiburg, struggling to overcome the language barrier, but he showed off his defensive qualities, and in particular his tackling ability, as City overcame the Saints.

Evans believes Soyuncu is showing why City splashed the cash.

“As centre-backs, there is a communication there and I’ve been very impressed with him as a player,” said the Northern Ireland international.

“He’s arrived with a big reputation, they’ve spent a lot of money on him. I’d heard about him before, before he was linked to coming to England, as a young lad.

“He’s been really impressive. He’s the future of Leicester City without a doubt.”

City boss Claude Puel has been cautious with Soyuncu, not wanting to rush the centre-back as he adjusts to a new culture.

And while communicating was an issue previously, Puel believes Soyuncu is now starting to do his talking with the ball at his feet.

“You saw his game, his response was on the pitch,” said Puel.

“He played very well with Jonny at centre-back. He played well also with his national team.

“I’m happy about all the players we recruited this summer. They’ve brought a lot of quality in the squad and good consistency, and they are young players for the future.

“I think it’s a good feeling for all the squad and for the club to have good players, young players for the future.”

Evans and Soyuncu looked like a very solid partnership, even if it was against a lackluster team. His pass into Gray was espeically impressive and Maguire-esque.

On 28/11/2018 at 11:00, Ian Nacho said:

He's not done anything wrong but for whatever reason he doesn't fill me with confidence. Looks like he's going to do something rash at any point. 

Like posters who insisted Wasi,was a walking red...!

one plays each game,each period,as they come...!!!

With that attitude, a player can have 7 great games,have a rash moment in his eigth...then you Come along and cry 'told ya so' ! Drop him!!!

typical foxestalk...:dunno:

On 28/11/2018 at 08:06, rachhere said:

I like him! Was so nervous for the guy taking his penalty as it wouldn't have been the best start to his Leicester career, but it turns out I had no reason to be. 

So now we have finally seen all our summer signings properly, I think we can conclude we actually did a pretty decent job this time round...

Ward - great performances in the cup so far, and finally a back up keeper we can have confidence in

Sonyuncu - looking like hes going to fit in nicely, many years ahead of him

Maddison - I know he hasn't had the best few weeks, but his stats speak for themselves

Ricardo - has struggled at first but always looked great going forward... starting to get to speed now more defensively

Benkovic - they are loving him in Scotland

Ghezzal - this is probably the most divisive one, but I think he's showed that if you play to his strengths he can deliver

Have I missed anyone?

Mendy

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:00, Ian Nacho said:

He's not done anything wrong but for whatever reason he doesn't fill me with confidence. Looks like he's going to do something rash at any point. 

What like get a Red Card?   Let us stick with Wes then.

• Haha 3