Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mehrez

Söyüncü Signs

18 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Four top class CB's and Morgan as 5th choice seems overkill so I actually thought about this. I wouldn't be surprised to see Soyuncu in the "Eric Dier" role that he does for Tottenham. Playing in front of Maguire and Evans and dropping in defence when the full backs or Maguire go on a bit of a run.

He's obviously a natural defender and quick and can ping a ball with both feet so maybe he plays CDM and Ndidi plays more CM?

Or the sol bamba role I noticed this weekend!

17 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Four top class CB's and Morgan as 5th choice seems overkill so I actually thought about this. I wouldn't be surprised to see Soyuncu in the "Eric Dier" role that he does for Tottenham. Playing in front of Maguire and Evans and dropping in defence when the full backs or Maguire go on a bit of a run.

He's obviously a natural defender and quick and can ping a ball with both feet so maybe he plays CDM and Ndidi plays more CM?

Was thinking about this earlier - if RP and BC are used as marauding full back then it requires two proper holding midfielders to cover the space. wilf is one but iborra isn't mobile enough and I don't see silva as a kante type version which would also work. hence I get your musing re soyuncu - no idea if he could do it though.

23 minutes ago, Gerard said:

The issue there though is, Soyuncu likes to go forward with the ball as well. So the only way that works with Maguire and 2 attacking full backs is to play 3-4-1-2 and Ndidi or the other CM drops in when Maguire or Soyuncu venture forward. This would require a fair amount of work on the training ground which begs the question that it's a risk to change during the season but if we don't then we may not get the best out of the squad we have. There's a worrying disparity in the balance of the squad from defence, midfield and attack.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Think he'd be decent at RB, besides having the same hair I think he has a similar playing style to Pavard. 

I don't think playing a CB at RB is what Puel is after. 

Puel will want Pereira and Chilwell as our full backs long term for their attacking prowess and stamina to get up and down the pitch and provide the real width. As has been suggested above he might be seen as an option to partner Ndidi to make us really solid in the middle or at least for certain games.

Just now, Gerard said:

Puel will want Pereira and Chilwell as our full backs long term for their attacking prowess and stamina to get up and down the pitch and provide the real width. As has been suggested above he might be seen as an option to partner Ndidi to make us really solid in the middle or at least for certain games.

I've watched several videos on him and I'm in love. He could play CM but the way he reads the game from defence would mean we may miss out on that quality if he's already further up the pitch. I think you're probably right though about him being the Eric Dier who sort of floats about in front of the defence and then drops in, we'd just need to make sure he was able to attack the ball and move further forward when Maguire and Evans and possibly Ndidi then drop back. Massively intrigued by this kid, he looks a world beater in the making.

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I agree, I just think he has decent traits defensively for a RB, and he's decent on the ball; should be an upgrade on Simpson and Amartey by a considerable amount.

But I don't understand this talk about Him playing CDM, yes he's got the skillset for it, but has he played there often? Our CM options are already overloaded enough, can't imagine Puel has bought another player to add to that? 

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

I agree, I just think he has decent traits defensively for a RB, and he's decent on the ball; should be an upgrade on Simpson and Amartey by a considerable amount.

But I don't understand this talk about Him playing CDM, yes he's got the skillset for it, but has he played there often? Our CM options are already overloaded enough, can't imagine Puel has bought another player to add to that? 

Isn't he left footed? I know he's been applauded for using both feet but by the looks of him he's a left sided central defender. Inverted full backs are the new hipsters of football for 2018/19? I like it.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Isn't he left footed? I know he's been applauded for using both feet but by the looks of him he's a left sided central defender. Inverted full backs are the new hipsters of football for 2018/19? I like it.

Looks right footed to me in the videos! but seems comfortable with both which is great to see 

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The issue there though is, Soyuncu likes to go forward with the ball as well. So the only way that works with Maguire and 2 attacking full backs is to play 3-4-1-2 and Ndidi or the other CM drops in when Maguire or Soyuncu venture forward. This would require a fair amount of work on the training ground which begs the question that it's a risk to change during the season but if we don't then we may not get the best out of the squad we have. There's a worrying disparity in the balance of the squad from defence, midfield and attack.

I've been saying this for quite a while. I just can't understand the blind spot in the Clubs thinking.

But if he can step into the role of midfielder alongside NDiddi then we'd be much more solid in there.

There's no way Ndiddi and either Silva or Iborra is going to work all the time. Silva and Iborra are too slow and not physical enough despite their skill on the Ball.

NDiddi was working to hard across midfield on Friday night, that needs to be addressed.

It wouldn't be the first time we've used a square peg in a round hole. 

I'm really looking forward to see him play. He's had some big clubs interested and some Freiburg fans on Twitter seem to rate him.

But I have this nightmare where we'll play Morgan and Maguire throughout the season and Benkovik, Evans, Soyuncu and Darnell all rot on the bench.

Morgan seems to acknowledge he's struggling to keep pace these days. I'm hoping we rotate fairly heavily slowly fazing out Wes.

Interesting comments above about having two ball playing defenders who like to get up the pitch. Especially when both Richardo and Chilwell are spending most of their time in the opposition half.

5 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I'm really looking forward to see him play. He's had some big clubs interested and some Freiburg fans on Twitter seem to rate him.

But I have this nightmare where we'll play Morgan and Maguire throughout the season and Benkovik, Evans, Soyuncu and Darnell all rot on the bench.

Morgan seems to acknowledge he's struggling to keep pace these days. I'm hoping we rotate fairly heavily slowly fazing out Wes.

Interesting comments above about having two ball playing defenders who like to get up the pitch. Especially when both Richardo and Chilwell are spending most of their time in the opposition half.

Fazing out period should be finished re Wes, should have happened last season. Anyway, I doubt Evans would have joined us without being told he will be first choice this season. 

5 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

That's our new attacking approach, Take the game to the opposition. It was a brave move to do in Old Trafford and nearly paid off.

I just hope we continue with it while he sorts out the midfield, Making us harder to play through.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Relax, if Morgan is first choice this season I'll post a pic of my arse on here and take the ban that follows. I'm sure even Morgan accepts it's changing of the guard.