Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think people miss the boat with Puel. It’s not his English that is uninspiring, it’s his demeanour. He comes across as almost constantly serious and stern.

I bet he isn’t really.

I’d love to see him pissed up on Stella.

I'd even pay...:cheers:, mind you Stella is Belgian...

Kronenbuorg-1664, or Castelain  Ch'te Ambree,of course!! Or he's a wine(wind up) merchant...:D

11 hours ago, elvisfmcfly said:

Was? I very much beg your Baden Baden, Think you've had one too many ramazzotti's.

Mixed with medical opiates,and poppy oils...goes down a treat!!!

Prefer hazelnuss over kirchwasserr edel schnaps...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, MattP said:

What has really impressed me is how he's realised certain things don't work and changed them, like Amartey coming in at right back for Ricardo.

A more dogmatic manager may have persisted with it despite knowing it won't work, quite optimistic at the minute with how we are playing. 

Agree - you wonder though having managed him before why it took him quite so long to realise.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Izzy is right, we need to get much, much better because what creates these boring, turgid games is an overwhelming lack of movement and penetration.

I think, between you and @Izzy Muzzett, this accurately gets to the issue - lack of movement. Perhaps this helps us all agree on what the team needs to do better to keep us all onside.

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think, between you and @Izzy Muzzett, this accurately gets to the issue - lack of movement. Perhaps this helps us all agree on what the team needs to do better to keep us all onside.

What frustrates me is I don't see it improving, by that I mean literally not pessimisticly. As in, it hasn't improved. 

The whole time he's been here it's the same, turgid, slow dire build up with no movement. 

We're great still when we turn the ball over and can make a few passes through someone on the break as we always have. The two goals from open play against Huddersfield were a joy to watch, classic Leicester. 

But I can't think of many goals we've scored that have come from some patient, tiki taka passing move. We've had a few near misses that spring to mind, Maddison almost had one second half against Liverpool, Iheanacho flashed one across the face of goal against United in the first half from a Maddison pass. 

By and large though we score set pieces, counter attack goals or individual efforts still. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

What frustrates me is I don't see it improving, by that I mean literally not pessimisticly. As in, it hasn't improved. 

The whole time he's been here it's the same, turgid, slow dire build up with no movement. 

We're great still when we turn the ball over and can make a few passes through someone on the break as we always have. The two goals from open play against Huddersfield were a joy to watch, classic Leicester. 

But I can't think of many goals we've scored that have come from some patient, tiki taka passing move. We've had a few near misses that spring to mind, Maddison almost had one second half against Liverpool, Iheanacho flashed one across the face of goal against United in the first half from a Maddison pass. 

By and large though we score set pieces, counter attack goals or individual efforts still. 

I see your point. However, it is possible to a degree that the slow build up is doing its thing in subtle ways (not least lulling the opposition into slumber). 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

But surely it's good we can still counter attack effectively. Just that now we can fill the other minutes in the game with possession rather than being camped in our own half aimlessly hoofing upfield. Everyone wants to counter attack, it's the best way to open up a defence. Just have to find the right time to do so, and when you can't, be able to keep the ball and look for different avenues. 

• Like 1

I can see why people are still not happy with the general penetration, something Puel has mentioned himself so we must give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, saying that I also believe whilst this football isn't entertaining as such, I truly think we can be clinical enough to make it work this season. 

I think its the players that are the 'issue', not the managers instructions but they are all very young and will only improve so lets be patient and also realistic.

• Like 1

Not 100% in the Puel fan club yet but, in his defence, things have definitely improved this week with three wins. One small point though, the concern over the lack of goals from open play has to be balanced against goals from a free-kick, corner and penalty which were gained from open play. Things are not always as black or white as some would like to paint.  

• Like 1

From Arsenal and Spurs at the end of last season to now we've started to hit some form. Not quite in Great Escape to Wes lifting the trophy form but still notable.

After the demented decade we had there was always going to be a comedown so to be in transition and 7th is not too shabby. I wasn't too impressed with Claude in the second half of last season but you'd have to give him credit for getting perfomances out of the club again.  Bournemouth has been the only disaster so far.

Getting at the top 6 is going to be beyond us right now but it will be how we fare against Everton, West Ham,Watford etc that will determine progress. We have played 2 dreadful teams in Huddersfield and Newcastle so I wouldn't be too triumphant just yet.  Should we be 7th at the end of October then there would be genuine grounds for optimism.

• Like 1

I like what Puel has done with the squad. I like how he has shown a good interest in promoting youth players and I really like how he seems to take a keen interest in developing the entire Football side of club. 

What I want to see is a bit of consistency in the team selection. We chop and change a bit too much. This was fine last year when he had just arrived and was learning about his squad. However, he should now have a set core. The change in the style and the importance players movements have to that style, needs a consistent understanding between the players. 

I am definately in the Puel in camp. However, until we find that consistency, we still have inconsistent results. Top 7 is achievable in my eyes. 

Theres one thing I didn't understand about puel. 

Why did chilwell taking set pieces ahead Iheanacho? His crossing are quite bad atm. When there's no albrighton, madison, and ghezzal on the pitch I'm sure nacho who's proven good set pieces taker at national team should be ahead him now

15 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Agree - you wonder though having managed him before why it took him quite so long to realise.

Because you have to give the player a chance and a couple of games, too see first if the tactic works and/or the player is doing right or needs either further adjustment or to be removed from this position.

You just can't chop the squad after one or two matches.

This squad is in a work in progress, the results won't come overnight.

Pereira is new to the league, he'll need one season to adapt.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

From Arsenal and Spurs at the end of last season to now we've started to hit some form. Not quite in Great Escape to Wes lifting the trophy form but still notable.

After the demented decade we had there was always going to be a comedown so to be in transition and 7th is not too shabby. I wasn't too impressed with Claude in the second half of last season but you'd have to give him credit for getting perfomances out of the club again.  Bournemouth has been the only disaster so far.

Getting at the top 6 is going to be beyond us right now but it will be how we fare against Everton, West Ham,Watford etc that will determine progress. We have played 2 dreadful teams in Huddersfield and Newcastle so I wouldn't be too triumphant just yet.  Should we be 7th at the end of October then there would be genuine grounds for optimism.

People should forget about the top 6, we're miles away from them quality and depth wise.

We have got away with possession football with a reasonably high line against teams like Huddersfield and Newcastle but against any of the top six we’ll get caught on the break and punished as we lose the ball too easily when pressed hard. It’s like we are victims to our previous style of play! We look okay at times but we don’t create chances yet playing in this style. Our goals to date are not down to the new style of play as they have come from set pieces and fast breaks though our higher possession rates in theory limit opposition chances but I’m not sure this is true. I think @Finnegan comparison to England is pretty fair in relation to doing something in the final third with the ball and I need to see a plan B from Puel that is not 4231. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Leicester in the Premier League under Claude Puel:

Played: 36
Won: 14
Drawn: 8
Lost: 14

We will see an equal ratio of WDL until the day he gets sacked. It's when the majority realize his project isn't actually going anywhere when that day will come. 

18 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

We have got away with possession football with a reasonably high line against teams like Huddersfield and Newcastle but against any of the top six we’ll get caught on the break and punished as we lose the ball too easily when pressed hard. It’s like we are victims to our previous style of play! We look okay at times but we don’t create chances yet playing in this style. Our goals to date are not down to the new style of play as they have come from set pieces and fast breaks though our higher possession rates in theory limit opposition chances but I’m not sure this is true. I think @Finnegan comparison to England is pretty fair in relation to doing something in the final third with the ball and I need to see a plan B from Puel that is not 4231. 

We can't compete with the top 6 though and if Claude is being judged on that then he might as well leave now because he's not going to be able to achieve it, christ I think Pep wouldn't be able to get us in the top 6 given how much power those top 6 have, there's a reason why we were 5000-1. I don't know if it's an effect of the title win however I always feel like Claude literally cannot win. We're going to run into poor results because it's the nature of a competitive league, you cant win em all. But so much is better than it's probably ever been in terms of structure of the club, we have clear pathway from the youth team to the senior squad with Claude at the helm, something I've never seen as a Leicester supporter (bar the odd one or two who graduated). Fans need to learn how to enjoy a more sedate style because our last few years have been utterly chaotic in terms of high's and low's, a Bipolar football club. We're watching the greatest period in our club's history, you need to enjoy it while it lasts because Football is a funny old game and it can turn very quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, somebum said:

We will see an equal ratio of WDL until the day he gets sacked. It's when the majority realize his project isn't actually going anywhere when that day will come. 

You are perhaps right but I think the day will come when the owners realise the fans are not happy with this. I would honestly imagine they will do it at the end of this season in a Southamptonesque manner. 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

We can't compete with the top 6 though and if Claude is being judged on that then he might as well leave now because he's not going to be able to achieve it, christ I think Pep wouldn't be able to get us in the top 6 given how much power those top 6 have, there's a reason why we were 5000-1. I don't know if it's an effect of the title win however I always feel like Claude literally cannot win. We're going to run into poor results because it's the nature of a competitive league, you cant win em all. But so much is better than it's probably ever been in terms of structure of the club, we have clear pathway from the youth team to the senior squad with Claude at the helm, something I've never seen as a Leicester supporter (bar the odd one or two who graduated). Fans need to learn how to enjoy a more sedate style because our last few years have been utterly chaotic in terms of high's and low's, a Bipolar football club. We're watching the greatest period in our club's history, you need to enjoy it while it lasts because Football is a funny old game and it can turn very quickly. 

I’ll be in touch soon for another instalment of what fans need to learn and I need to enjoy!

I’ve supported England all my life despite the drab style of play seen through the last couple of decades especially and I’ll continue to do so with Leicester too. But seriously don’t tell me I have to learn to enjoy a more sedate style of football full of out of position footballers only ever going to be competitive with the best of the rest?

Heres my big willy of mediocrity, now swallow it?

No thanks mate.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, somebum said:

Which, give or take, would probably result in consistent top 10 premier league finishes if the finishing tables since 1992 are anything to go by. But of course your right, it isn't going anywhere

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

You are perhaps right but I think the day will come when the owners realise the fans are not happy with this. I would honestly imagine they will do it at the end of this season in a Southamptonesque manner. 

not happy with what.., ever since we won the league some of our fans views of were we should be have kind of got off track so to speak, we are a 7-13 club in the league imo atm, and maybe a decent cup run to boot

chopping and changing managers, coaches etc every 6 months wont benefit the club in the long term tbh....leaves a trail of mess with certain managers not liking players etc(just reminds me of the era of Kelly, Hollaway Levein etc turn over of players and then we dropped to league 1), dont get me wrong im by no means a Puel fanboy, and if performances and results dip he'll be gone, i can see what hes trying to do with the team etc and going from rob and rush style of play to a more possession style isnt ever going to be easy, 

but id rather stick than twist than us ending up with someone like Pardew:ph34r:

but i guess we'll see come the end of the season with it all

Edited by FrankieADZ
  • Like 3