Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I just like, as I always have done, how we retain the ball instead of treating it like somesort of bomb like we used too. We absolutely controlled the game yesterday.

Mate, I know you go week in week out so would you agree we've still got big room for improvement in this area though?

I agree we've got much better at retaining possession but I still think we've got a lot of work to do as a team. Yesterday was better but in some games this season we've been guilty of misplaced passes and giving it away far too easily.

The exciting thing for me is we're a young team and only going to get better. Continuous improvement and all that..

21 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Mate, I know you go week in week out so would you agree we've still got big room for improvement in this area though?

I agree we've got much better at retaining possession but I still think we've got a lot of work to do as a team. Yesterday was better but in some games this season we've been guilty of misplaced passes and giving it away far too easily.

The exciting thing for me is we're a young team and only going to get better. Continuous improvement and all that..

I think we sometimes overplay and, as you say, give the ball away easily (in dangerous areas at times). Overall though I do prefer retaining the ball than just going direct all the time. Needs some more work but we're getting there.

• Like 2

Realistically, how good/consistent can we be playing this way? I only ask because we don't have the finanical muscle to get the very best players. So I guess we just have to be patient and not expect the world...difficult I know, as I am quite sure we all want to see the team win and win well on a very regular basis.

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Oh never understood that

Poch couldn’t even speak English when he started working here he’s done alright

What makes these Puels-English remarks laughable.....those that criticise it are struggling...and most likely themselves haven't got a 2nd language.

I don't care...!!:dunno:   but the hypocricy...plus his English has improved.

• Like 1

We’re much improved on the ball, however end product/meaningful possession is limited by the quality of players we have at our disposal; luckily most our line up and squad are very young, so there can only be further developments in our new style and the players abilities. 

If we are to persist with this, Puel needs some further backing by next summer, experienced heads similar to Cambiasso sounds realistic but it’ll be vital to guide this squad at times further down the line. Players who’s contracts have 6 months left by janury could also be a great idea to aim for.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Realistically, how good/consistent can we be playing this way? I only ask because we don't have the finanical muscle to get the very best players. So I guess we just have to be patient and not expect the world...difficult I know, as I am quite sure we all want to see the team win and win well on a very regular basis.

That is a very good question and in my opinion one of the few valid arguments to questioning our new style. The argument being that we’ll never play the style quite as well as the very top teams and when we need to improve our team it will be very difficult to get players we need because the top teams will be in for them. You can definitely make a good argument that the counter attack we played to win the league was ideal for a more modest team to overachieve with. 

Personally i’d say the improvement in our team in just one year is quite remarkable. Remember this time last year was Shakespeare’s last game where we were awful to teams like Huddersfield and West Brom. The new style is more consistent at beating teams worse than we are so in theory should give us more attempts to get into Europe over the next 5 years. 

I can’t really answer the question as I’m neither a prophet nor one of the club owners but it seems clear our owners have big aspirations for us. If one day we really want to be one of the very top teams then this style is one of the steps we’ll need to make in our journey. Given we have the youngest team in the league this season it stands to reason that we will only get better. 

We will find out in time but personally I’m very excited. I genuinely think we are one of the best run clubs in the league right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I think we sometimes overplay and, as you say, give the ball away easily (in dangerous areas at times). Overall though I do prefer retaining the ball than just going direct all the time. Needs some more work but we're getting there.

Ball retention is fine but we're still guilty of going fully Paulo Sousa. 

If you're going to retain possession and be patient then the natural consequence of that is teams are going to have time to get people behind the ball. This means you have to be more intelligent in how you break them down. 

Players have to be working hard off the ball to make runs, take up good positions, offer passes to the ball carrier. Too many times at the moment someone like Iheanacho or Maddison or Gray will have the crowd shouting at them because they've been closed down or tackled and they've looked slow in possession but the fault isn't with them, it's the fact they've had literally nothing on. 

It happened a few times to Iheanacho yesterday and I'm pulling my hair out because it's just so, so static in front of him. 

Look, we're not Man City, Maddison isn't Silva and Puel isn't Pep, I accept that. But you watch a Pep team and there is constant movement, constant emphasis on space and finding it. Players overlapping, players cutting back, looking to get in between the lines. 

Our lot largely don't know how to do this, or (and I certainly hope this isn't the case) they're too lazy to. 

Izzy is right, we need to get much, much better because what creates these boring, turgid games is an overwhelming lack of movement and penetration.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

What makes these Puels-English remarks laughable.....those that criticise it are struggling...and most likely themselves haven't got a 2nd language.

I don't care...!!:dunno:   but the hypocricy...plus his English has improved.

I think people miss the boat with Puel. It’s not his English that is uninspiring, it’s his demeanour. He comes across as almost constantly serious and stern.

I bet he isn’t really.

I’d love to see him pissed up on Stella.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Haha 1

I honestly think the day’s when I am going to come away from a game wowed by a Claude Puel team are going to be few and far between. I fell in love with football over 40 years ago because it was entertaining. I watched us yesterday and I just found it frustrating to watch, so much possession and so little created. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

What do you mean? 

Two games ago critics were picking a random number of Puel last so many games to illustrate poor performance. 

For example the thread titled  thread last 26 but when you extended that to last 30, it looked decent. Others were using last 19 which missed out a run of form before that 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Two games ago critics were picking a random number of Puel last so many games to illustrate poor performance. 

For example the thread titled  thread last 26 but when you extended that to last 30, it looked decent. Others were using last 19 which missed out a run of form before that 

Ah alright, got you :schmike:

46 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Leicester in the Premier League under Claude Puel:

Played: 36
Won: 14
Drawn: 8
Lost: 14

That's a full season worth of games and 50 points would get you around 7th.

For all the doomand gloom, it's actually pretty decent..

I think this guy on Twitter summed up the never ending Puel debate pretty accurately.

• Like 2

What has really impressed me is how he's realised certain things don't work and changed them, like Amartey coming in at right back for Ricardo.

A more dogmatic manager may have persisted with it despite knowing it won't work, quite optimistic at the minute with how we are playing.