Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

6 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Not sure if i'm reading what youre saying right, but surely thats why he was subbed at half time, because he wasnt sticking to the tactics?

Or the tactics needed tweaking because whilst puel may have expected the full back to show Ghezzal down the line and keep the game stretched, he was happy for him to come inside which condensed the play and made it easier to defend. 

53 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

When we first saw the squad it was pretty confusing, but when we got into the game it became quite clear what he was trying to do. Maddison was never meant to be a winger, simply cutting in and becoming almost a second 10, leaving the entire left wing for chillwell. 

Whilst the opposite wing, Ghezzal/Gray would stretch the play and act more direct with Amartey staying further back to provide cover and giving us 3 at the back when chillwell bombed forward 

Very astute! Seemed to be a way to address recent defensive issues whilst keeping our attacking threat. It was what I’d almost call a “lopsided” line up as Chilwell had license to marauding whereas generally Amartey sat back and it allowed us to introduce Nacho into the side who had a good game. The only thing that needed correcting was the forward right position where Ghezzal was ineffective and hence why he was replaced by Gray. Even then I don’t think Ghezzal was terrible, he just didn’t really contribute much and the passage of play where he got booked probably made up Puel’s mind. 

It will be interesting to see if Puel plays like this against Newcastle. I personally would but away from home I could see him dropping Nacho and bringing in Albrighton and Gray for more energy. But Nacho / Vardy / Maddison combined very well all game long so would like to see it tried again. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very astute! Seemed to be a way to address recent defensive issues whilst keeping our attacking threat. It was what I’d almost call a “lopsided” line up as Chilwell had license to marauding whereas generally Amartey sat back and it allowed us to introduce Nacho into the side who had a good game. The only thing that needed correcting was the forward right position where Ghezzal was ineffective and hence why he was replaced by Gray. Even then I don’t think Ghezzal was terrible, he just didn’t really contribute much and the passage of play where he got booked probably made up Puel’s mind. 

It will be interesting to see if Puel plays like this against Newcastle. I personally would but away from home I could see him dropping Nacho and bringing in Albrighton and Gray for more energy. But Nacho / Vardy / Maddison combined very well all game long so would like to see it tried again. 

Yeah i was quite surprised to see Ghezzal subbed until about 5 mins into the second half where Gray was really stretching their right back and giving space in the centre. Thought it was quite tactically brilliant. 

Next week will be good to see if he sticks to the same back line, or swaps it around and if he keeps Nacho in given Vardy got in the game a lot more with the support from the middle 3.

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

Well after chaos for the past few years (mostly good but also a lot of terrible) I think as a club a safe, underwhelming mediocrity will do and if 8th in the Premier League is underwhelming mediocrity then you evidently weren't a Leicester fan throughout the 2000's. 

I absolutely was, I don’t think you’ve read the post, or looked at when I joined this place. It sounds like you weren’t around when we won the league 2 years ago by your reasoning? Mediocrity is fine in many ways, but when you’ve had better and don’t see it ever being even remotely close again then there’s a sense of melancholy. 

Time for a Puel song to get the season rocking....

Claude Puel, every now and then I get a little bit lonely
And you're never coming round
Claude Puel, every now and then I get a little bit tired
Of listening to the sound of my tears
Claude Puel, every now and then I get a little bit nervous
That the best of all the years have gone by
Claude Puel, every now and then I get a little bit terrified
And then I see the look in your eyes
CLAUDE PUEL! bright eyes! but every now and then I fall apart
CLAUDE Puel! bright eyes! every now and then I fall apart
And I need you, Claude Puel!
And I need you more than ever
And if you only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
'Cause we'll never be wrong together
We can take it to the end of the line
Your love
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

Excellent and spot on post. Could not put it better myself. All the moaners who complain about Puel should look at the bigger picture. Bringing on youngsters, getting rid of deadwood, and changing the playing style will take time. He has only been in the job a year. The team does show real progress and although we are inconsistent at times that is because of the huge changes he has had to bring, and this has resulted in us being around 8th-10th in the Premier League. Some of the critics here should go and watch old clips of us under Pleat, or Levine. Even Bottling Hotspuds fans moan about a 'wasted generation' under Ponch. There will always be fans who can't see the bigger picture. The last thing we need now is another change of manager. Support Puel whilst he is here and you might be surprised where he takes us. 

or watch clips under Little, Martin O'Neil, the better of Pearson and Claudio.

I don't think many are actually advocating a change although if last season didn't end when it did I think he would have gone.

He makes all the right noises, fairly happy with most signings and hope he takes us in the right direction.

I don't think teams fear us now as we are too slow and predictable.IMO we look a soft touch and due a few more hammerings.

Right side is bewildering. Almartey and Ghezzal a better option than Simpson and Albrighton? Possibly in time but not now.

Vardy looks lost and frustrated

Not saying the play won't fall in place, but concerned as many others are. We are still closer to ' you don't know what your doing' than ' theirs only one Claud Puel' Happy to have my opinion changed.

26 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I don't think teams fear us now as we are too slow and predictable.IMO we look a soft touch and due a few more hammerings.

If they didn't fear our attacking threat, they'd be playing twenty yards further up the pitch. We are too slow and predictable at times because a lot of teams put 9 behind the ball against us. Other than Liverpool this season, no team has dictated play to us. They instead wait for the mistake and then attack from deep. You are right we are soft touch at times but not for the reason highlighted here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People claiming Puel is a tactical genius for making a half time sub after yet another totally dull and boring performance at home against the worst side we have played in our recent Premier League history. Back to business on Saturday, another borefest and goals conceded as Morgan returns. Boring boring football and it really is hard to get excited about anything. We have possibly the most exciting young squad in the league with the dullest manager!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

People claiming Puel is a tactical genius for making a half time sub after yet another totally dull and boring performance at home against the worst side we have played in our recent Premier League history. Back to business on Saturday, another borefest and goals conceded as Morgan returns. Boring boring football and it really is hard to get excited about anything. We have possibly the most exciting young squad in the league with the dullest manager!

I honestly can't take people seriously who continue to blame Morgan. Without him against Wolves and Huddersfield we could and should have conceded a couple of goals at least. He's been no more at fault than Maguire and less so than Ricardo for our defensive issues. Evans has hardly covered himself in glory either, partially at fault for the goal Saturday and him and Maguire got split wide open for the huge miss.

On 23/09/2018 at 07:47, ian_marshall said:

This forum astounds me sometimes. We've spent virtually the whole time under Puel's tenure in and around 8th position in one of, if not the, best domestic leagues in the world and people are moaning.

Our position pretty much reflects our level of Net spend over the past few seasons yet some seem to think that we are underperforming. I loved the title win as much as the next person but on reflection it was an anomaly and was never going to be repeated with that team.

Taking that season out of the equation, we're making progress year on year and we've consistently achieved the heights in this league (PL not old Div 1) only previously achieved by Martin O'Neill who many rightly regard as one of our best managers since the formation of the PL.

Let's be clear I'm not suggesting for one moment that Puel has pulled up any trees since his appointment, but conversely he's pretty much performed in line with the resources available to him which are those of a top half mid table side. 

Those complaining about possession based play and sideways passing in my view are either part of the PlayStation generation, relatively new to football, or simply haven't played the game at a high enough level to understand its necessity in the modern day game. Suffice to say I'd much rather us have control of the ball than hand over possession after every opposition attack by launching the ball aimlessly down the park. 

I love this forum and read it daily but some poster's agenda to constantly criticise the manager is becoming tedious and its getting to the point where if it continues much longer I'm seriously going to contemplate stepping away from the forum for a while until the dust settles. This used to be a platform for open and interesting debate with some very good contributors offering insightful and fair opinions, but over the past 12 months it seems to be overrun by so called fans seeking instant gratification from the side, constant moaners, and trolls.

I blame Brexit :ph34r:

31 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Back to business on Saturday, another borefest and goals conceded as Morgan returns. Boring boring football and it really is hard to get excited about anything. We have possibly the most exciting young squad in the league with the dullest manager!

So long as you're keeping an open mind about it then... 

• Haha 1

On 23/09/2018 at 13:41, UniFox21 said:

Why do you think it was squad rotation? 

When we first saw the squad it was pretty confusing, but when we got into the game it became quite clear what he was trying to do. Maddison was never meant to be a winger, simply cutting in and becoming almost a second 10, leaving the entire left wing for chillwell. 

Whilst the opposite wing, Ghezzal/Gray would stretch the play and act more direct with Amartey staying further back to provide cover and giving us 3 at the back when chillwell bombed forward 

Pieces are coming into place. Vardy, Iheanacho and Maddison combined fairly well and have decent complementary qualities. That could make an excellent front three, Madders definitely has to play No. 10 as I did think he was pulled wider on Saturday and perhaps not as effective as a result. 

To balance it out (if we want to), I think we either evolve to a narrow three in the middle (Ndidi, Mendy and Iborra/Silva) with Ricardo and Chilwell as more attacking fullbacks providing width (needs one of the three CMs to drop when the FBs go forward) or we switch to three CB’s, stick with Ndidi & Mendy, and have the wingbacks.

The issue with either of these solutions is where it would leave the likes of Gray, Albrighton and Ghezzal as neither system requires the more out-and-out winger. Albrighton is probably best able to adapt to a WB role, Gray as backup for Iheanacho (or possibly Maddison). 

3 minutes ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

Pieces are coming into place. Vardy, Iheanacho and Maddison combined fairly well and have decent complementary qualities. That could make an excellent front three, Madders definitely has to play No. 10 as I did think he was pulled wider on Saturday and perhaps not as effective as a result. 

To balance it out (if we want to), I think we either evolve to a narrow three in the middle (Ndidi, Mendy and Iborra/Silva) with Ricardo and Chilwell as more attacking fullbacks providing width (needs one of the three CMs to drop when the FBs go forward) or we switch to three CB’s, stick with Ndidi & Mendy, and have the wingbacks.

The issue with either of these solutions is where it would leave the likes of Gray, Albrighton and Ghezzal as neither system requires the more out-and-out winger. Albrighton is probably best able to adapt to a WB role, Gray as backup for Iheanacho (or possibly Maddison). 

That front three has lots of goals in it, problem is it just feels a little forced in this current formation. A 4312 or a 3412 seem the obvious answers, but I just think he's going to continue to force it into his preferred formation and that's going to leave holes.

1 minute ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

I'd love to know what Puel was trying/thinking tactics-wise. As all the points you raise are exactly where we're at. 

Does he keep our wingers and the pace, directness and width they add? Or does he switch and use the width of the fullback instead? 

A part of me thinks he's holding out for Soyuncu to get up to fitness before he trials 3, as Evans, Morgan and Maguire as a back 3 lacks any pace at all really. 

For me I love the width and creativity of wide players give, but i think Puel is either gonna have to use a lop-sided tactic like Saturday or concede and trial a 3 back 

7 minutes ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

I believe it shows, we can be flexable...and also have decent cover,on and off the bench....

I see no issues...we happen to have a top squad with great potential.....A steady first 15-16,sharing game time through the season,

IMO....must be good.  Looking for a fixed 11,would not be a good idea...now and again,one has to tweek a bit..

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd love to know what Puel was trying/thinking tactics-wise. As all the points you raise are exactly where we're at. 

Does he keep our wingers and the pace, directness and width they add? Or does he switch and use the width of the fullback instead? 

A part of me thinks he's holding out for Soyuncu to get up to fitness before he trials 3, as Evans, Morgan and Maguire as a back 3 lacks any pace at all really. 

For me I love the width and creativity of wide players give, but i think Puel is either gonna have to use a lop-sided tactic like Saturday or concede and trial a 3 back 

Width always brings Goals however it's achieved and was the key to our great survival.

The problem with the Wingers we have is Gray is just not delivering and Ghezzal needs time to adjust, Not only to a new team and Manager but a new life style in England.

So at the moment Puel is switching between Wingers and Attacking FBs looking for that spark of creativity.

At the moment it seems to be coming more from the FBs.

On Saturday he played one winger each half on the right. Which allowed him to play Nacho with Vardy.

That seems the best option for now, Given that Chilwell can attack down the left or use Albrighton there.

It will take a period of trial and error maybe even an addition to the squad to get it right. But for now all he can do is keep trying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Did you actually think it was boring? And for what reason? Because we didnt hoof it down the channels every time? I thought it was quite good. Could have scored a few more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I honestly can't take people seriously who continue to blame Morgan. Without him against Wolves and Huddersfield we could and should have conceded a couple of goals at least. He's been no more at fault than Maguire and less so than Ricardo for our defensive issues. Evans has hardly covered himself in glory either, partially at fault for the goal Saturday and him and Maguire got split wide open for the huge miss.

Morgan did not play against Huddersfield ?

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd love to know what Puel was trying/thinking tactics-wise. As all the points you raise are exactly where we're at. 

What pace, directness and width do our traditional wingers have? Gray did well against Huddersfield but we know he’s too inconsistent to perform like that again until maybe next month.

Ghezzal needs time to adjust but right now he’s a bit of a one trick pony and certainly doesn’t offer any ‘pace’ or ‘directness’.

The only decent traditional winger we have is Albrighton. 

Our best wingers are Pereira and Chilwell. I really hope Pereira sorts out the defensive side of his game because having a reliable attacking RB is key to Puel’s 4-2-3-1. 

I quite liked the system on Saturday. Vardy had a strike partner and Maddison had the freedom to roam and dictate the play. We need another creative flair player to help Maddison and then the front four is sorted imo. 

Edited by Shane

5 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Excellent and spot on post. Could not put it better myself. All the moaners who complain about Puel should look at the bigger picture. Bringing on youngsters, getting rid of deadwood, and changing the playing style will take time. He has only been in the job a year. The team does show real progress and although we are inconsistent at times that is because of the huge changes he has had to bring, and this has resulted in us being around 8th-10th in the Premier League. Some of the critics here should go and watch old clips of us under Pleat, or Levine. Even Bottling Hotspuds fans moan about a 'wasted generation' under Ponch. There will always be fans who can't see the bigger picture. The last thing we need now is another change of manager. Support Puel whilst he is here and you might be surprised where he takes us

perfectly put! I been saying this all lastweek and got abused by the puel out brigade ;) good to see that im not the only one with the same mindset for a future rather than today.

• Like 1