Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

It's hilarious isn't it? All the title race talk for the last several weeks has almost completely ignored Leicester, despite us being up there. Now that we're actually top, all the pundits and articles come out, retrospectively, talking about how great we've been. 

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

It's hilarious isn't it? All the title race talk for the last several weeks has almost completely ignored Leicester, despite us being up there. Now that we're actually top, all the pundits and articles come out, retrospectively, talking about how great we've been. 

Aye but only because Chelsea were so bad :P;):yesyes:

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Top ten best decisions of the 2020/21 Premier League season so far (football365.com)

1) Brendan Rodgers’ squad goals
Leicester have played a potentially difficult hand incredibly well. Their collapse to close the previous season could have given way to a panicked overhaul but Brendan Rodgers realised that within that disappointment was overachievement from a squad that would only get better for the experience of a mixed campaign. Timothy Castagne and Wesley Fofana were added as undeniable quality at high prices, with Cengiz Under completing the set on loan.

Rodgers has been the key, treating injuries as puzzles to solve rather than obstacles to lament; we are literal months removed from any of Wilfred Ndidi, Christian Fuchs or Daniel Amartey being used at centre-half. But most commendable is his insistence that returning players must earn their way back in instead of automatically reprising their role. Caglar Soyuncu, PFA Team of the Year member for 2019/20, has been placed on a diet of substitute minutes because Fofana and Jonny Evans fared so well in his absence. James Justin excelled at right-back when Castagne was out so kept his place for the Belgian to return on the left before they were rotated. Marc Albrighton has similarly taken his chance and been recognised amply for it.

That has made for a genuine meritocracy in which performances and form are rewarded over favouritism and preferential treatment. Such excellent man-management has, in turn, taken Rodgers into familiar territory; perhaps this time a fresh and varied Leicester squad can fully capitalise.

Meritocracy is working well. Hopefully JJ and/or Little Wes don't get dropped on the back of a bad performance. Although they must fear it. 

There's a narrative going on that we get a lot of lucky VAR decisions, like Timo Werner's armpit being offside, and the Spurs one at home last season. Couple against Wolves etc. I dont remember many VAR decisions going against us tbf, I only remember Maddison few weeks ago away to Spurs. People think ifvyou get a VAR decision then you got a lucky incorrect decision. Weird. 

I haven't looked up the numbers on it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koke said:

There's a narrative going on that we get a lot of lucky VAR decisions, like Timo Werner's armpit being offside, and the Spurs one at home last season. Couple against Wolves etc. I dont remember many VAR decisions going against us tbf, I only remember Maddison few weeks ago away to Spurs. People think ifvyou get a VAR decision then you got a lucky incorrect decision. Weird. 

And if they want to play it like that, look at all the BS decisions we got last season. Handball at Villa. Handball/Ederson fouls vs Man City. Brighton handball. Mane dive. List could go on...

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That's a myth really

Obviously losing isn't a good thing, but you only get 1 point for a draw. 

Liverpool - assuming they win their next game - will still be a point below us after 19 games played, and they've only lost twice till now. You could go an entire season unbeaten and only end up with 38 points

Thats exactly why the points system was changed, to give more emphasis on attacking.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That's a myth really

Liverpool - assuming they win their next game - will still be a point below us after 19 games played, and they've only lost twice till now. You could go an entire season unbeaten and only end up with 38 points

What is a myth, specifically? 

33 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That's a myth really

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

That losing games is relevant in this discussion. The league is about points accumulation. One win and 2 defeats is worth the same as 3 draws. 
We are most definitely in a title race as it stands.

Yeah I wasn't trying to make a simplistic 'lose more than 5 games and you can't win the league argument'. 

My point is that it gives Man City/Liverpool a lot more margin for error, compared to us. Or put another way, we would have to win a lot of games to compensate. Obviously based on the 'half time report' of the season so far, there's cause for optimism. I just don't think the numbers and huge sequences they've put together over the last few seasons should be dismissed, particularly when you account for our own inconsistencies. 

15 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

What is a myth, specifically? 

What @Strokes said

That you can only lose so many games. Obviously losing more games means you're less likely to win the league, but if we continue the form we've had from the first half of the season, we could lose another 5 games and still win the league as long as we win the majority of the remaining games (providing the other teams carry on their form, and the teams with games in hand don't win them all). I'm very happy with how we're approaching games this season, and really going for it. We're always going to have off-days at points, but the statistic that we've won every game in which we've gone ahead is very satisfying. Never playing for a draw.

I almost forgot just how well we handled our dismal injury situation that plagued us for a good 3 or 4 months too. Ricky, Soyuncu and Ndidi were 3 of our best players last season and have barely featured, Castagne started this season brilliantly then we had to make do without, Maddison with his knee problem meant that he had to go for a long stint of pretty much cameo appearances

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

My point is that it gives Man City/Liverpool a lot more margin for error, compared to us. Or put another way, we would have to win a lot of games to compensate. Obviously based on the 'half time report' of the season so far, there's cause for optimism. I just don't think the numbers and huge sequences they've put together over the last few seasons should be dismissed, particularly when you account for our own inconsistencies. 

True, but from what I have seen of both Man City and Liverpool, they are neither the force they have been over the last 2 or 3 seasons. Personally I'd be over the moon with a top 4 finish and think it's too early to think about being in a title race, but I don't think it'd be a miracle if we can keep up the pace we've set that we keep in and around the top. I just can't see this Liverpool team suddenly going on a 10-game winning streak, they've put in some very shaky performances this season. I think Man City are more likely to win the league, and they're in great form at the moment but are due a poor result or two. Man United are getting good results, but surely their luck has to run out at some point

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the argument about loss of games is based on the (not unreasonable) extrapolation of losing 5 more in the next 19 games. More to the point, it also hinges on whether we can win 12 out of the next 19. A replication would lead us to 76 points, and almost certainly not the title, but who could turn their nose up at that right now? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, duk3nuk3m said:

What's hilarious is the number of Chelsea fans moaning about Vardy being offside for our 2nd goal, without realising you can't be offside from a goal kick :crylaugh:

What game was it when this happened before, and the official LCFC Twitter tweeted "Who wants to be the one to tell them?"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duk3nuk3m said:

What's hilarious is the number of Chelsea fans moaning about Vardy being offside for our 2nd goal, without realising you can't be offside from a goal kick :crylaugh:

Stupid isn’t it? 

I did initially wonder whether Albrighton was offside for Ndidi’s goal though

11 minutes ago, duk3nuk3m said:

Had one of those "Facebook discussions" this morning with someone who was claiming this. He didn't like being told he was wrong 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

That's absolute garbage. Fofana (or whoever's arm it was) was stuck out horizontally whereas Werner's was down his side - using arms at all made it a closer call than it actually was.

1 hour ago, duk3nuk3m said:

Ok. I'll be honest. My reaction for 2 mins or so that that was offside until, having not been discussed by the commentators, I vaguely remembered the rule!