Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

The way Newcastle United are so central to the culture of their city and its people makes them a big club. Leicester or most other clubs can't compete with them on that front.

I'm not saying that's the only measure by which it should be judged but I'm genuinely envious of them for that.

Plus they became a force in the early years of the Premier League when the coverage of the game exploded so they had a lot of focus with the ground being full and classic matches against Liverpool, Manchester United etc which raised their profile hugely.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Why are so many fans obsessed with this "who is a big club" thing? It's the most arbitrary, meaningless, trivial sh*te. What does it matter?  What are you actually arguing about?

What matters is that we are doing our talking on the pitch and are clearly progressing as a club in a way that most fans can only dream of. 

As for that video, well, Sky's ignorance clearly knows no bounds.

I've asked the same thing so won't wade in again. I have my theories but I'll keep them to myself.

59 minutes ago, Corky said:

Plus they became a force in the early years of the Premier League when the coverage of the game exploded so they had a lot of focus with the ground being full and classic matches against Liverpool, Manchester United etc which raised their profile hugely.

But the Foxes are central to Leicester culture as we are a one club city

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

The way Newcastle United are so central to the culture of their city and its people makes them a big club. Leicester or most other clubs can't compete with them on that front.

I'm not saying that's the only measure by which it should be judged but I'm genuinely envious of them for that.

100% this, I feel like cities like Newcastle you’ll find far less glory supporters as well for that reason, when the only thing that’s acceptable is supporting your local club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Why are so many fans obsessed with this "who is a big club" thing?

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've asked the same thing so won't wade in again. I have my theories but I'll keep them to myself.

size.JPG.e0c950ea4c45362820abe4004d055762.JPG

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm not sure I can get on board with the whole media narrative the people of the North east are somehow more passionate than the rest of us . They have a massive catchment area with a population of over 1.5 million yet there biggest non league club ( Gateshead) gets shite support even when Newcastle are away . 

It didn't seem that central to their culture when the were regular getting attendances of 13 000 in the 80s

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yes said:

100% this, I feel like cities like Newcastle you’ll find far less glory supporters as well for that reason, when the only thing that’s acceptable is supporting your local club.

It's genuinely unique in England I think. Even somewhere like Leeds can't boast that level of loyalty among its population.

Just now, los dedos said:

I'm not sure I can get on board with the whole media narrative the people of the North east are somehow more passionate than the rest of us . They have a massive catchment area with a population of over 1.5 million yet there biggest non league club ( Gateshead) gets shite support even when Newcastle are away . 

It didn't seem that central to their culture when the were regular getting attendances of 13 000 in the 80s

Yeah, those are absolutely fair enough points and I think the whole North-East passion thing is a huge cliche (though the non-league scene is pretty strong compared to many other regions, I'd say).

I'm just basing it off the feeling I've got any time I've been up there. There's not another city here where you get the same feeling. Probably partly because of the ground being slap-bang in the middle of town.

• Like 3

Do we even want to be one of the supposed rich 6? We missed the boat in that regard when we won it and I know this sounds ridiculous bit winning it again or continuing to do well somehow takes the miracle and shine off that astonishing feat 5 years ago and allows these arseholes vindication for how dismissive they were of us. 

If and when we do win the league again, I wonder if we will do things differently. We stunted our progression by a few years with heinous transfers, a lot of loyalty to some players who probably had maxed out their progression and we didn't take advantage of the commercial exposure to try and make in roads on these 6 powerhouses. Do we want to do that? I'm torn, I just love causing as much disruption and annoyance to their fans and the prats being paid to give expert opinion that cannot cope with us being part of the equation and having to do the necessary work for them to not sound like they're clueless. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Yes said:

Great point. I bet even now with the mess they’re in as a club you go to any park in Newcastle and the majority of kids are still wearing black and white stripes and pretending to be Andy Carroll. It’s feels like a genuine right of passage in the North East, you support either Newcastle or Sunderland and you support them no matter what. Makes me jealous because we don’t have that in Leicester, no way. And those glory supporting ***** from the generation before me and my generation around Leicester who are now having kids will be bringing up Liverpool and United supporting brats. Sad state of affairs really. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Manini said:

Great point. I bet even now with the mess they’re in as a club you go to any park in Newcastle and the majority of kids are still wearing black and white stripes and pretending to be Andy Carroll. It’s feels like a genuine right of passage in the North East, you support either Newcastle or Sunderland and you support them no matter what. Makes me jealous because we don’t have that in Leicester, no way. And those glory supporting ***** from the generation before me and my generation around Leicester who are now having kids will be bringing up Liverpool and United supporting brats. Sad state of affairs really. 

As I said earlier I hate the narrative about the north east been more passionate but this is something I've not really thought about . 

Anyone live in the North east can confirm that they have less glory supporters. Does seem that way but not been up there enough to confirm. 

One thing I can confirm is most kids at football training sessions where City tops in Leicestershire a massive jump from a few years ago.  Even kids with dads that support Liverpool and Man U.:D

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I think that if there is one over riding trait about Vichai (and now Top) is that they learn from their mistakes pretty quickly.

One thing to note though is that, if we were to win the league again under their ownership, they wouldn't have the burden of having to show such loyalty to those that did win it because it wouldn't be seen in the same light as the 5000/1 lot.

What they did was a miracle and they deserved their time in the spotlight for achieving it. I think the club wouldn't spend so much time basking in the sun of another title win, they'd see it as a platform to improve further.

Absolutely correct. 2016 was so unique there was an incredible media scramble that lasted all the way till April 2017 with the nattarives of the bad league position, good UCL journey, sacking Ranieri. We went from the centre of the universe to a gawped-at circus. That crowd's spontaneous applause at the end of the Atletico game was almost closure on that period for us.

The loyalty thing is dead right too, we might get picked off with one or two players, but there won't be handing out contracts like candy either. If anything, I'd expect people to brace for more criticism than the endless praise we got from October 2015 to August 2016.

Also, if we do win a second title in five years, the "big clubs" I suspect would become genuinely petrified of us. 2016 was a shock to their complacency, 2021 would signal the arrival of us for the foreseeable invading their cosy club. And if we can do it, what's to stop others? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Do we even want to be one of the supposed rich 6? We missed the boat in that regard when we won it and I know this sounds ridiculous bit winning it again or continuing to do well somehow takes the miracle and shine off that astonishing feat 5 years ago and allows these arseholes vindication for how dismissive they were of us. 

If and when we do win the league again, I wonder if we will do things differently. We stunted our progression by a few years with heinous transfers, a lot of loyalty to some players who probably had maxed out their progression and we didn't take advantage of the commercial exposure to try and make in roads on these 6 powerhouses. Do we want to do that? I'm torn, I just love causing as much disruption and annoyance to their fans and the prats being paid to give expert opinion that cannot cope with us being part of the equation and having to do the necessary work for them to not sound like they're clueless. 

I know what you mean here, part of the magic of this current Leicester team is that we are mixing it with the so called big boys without being part of that club ourselves.

But if we were to continue to have success then at some point we would inevitably become a bit like those clubs. We already have a fair few supporters who were taken in by the 15/16 success are are rather fickle. I guess the cliché of "live long enough as a hero and you see yourself become the villain" could apply to us over time and would probably mean the club is going in the right direction if it happened.

Hopefully we can keep our current vibe and spirit for quite some time yet, but if were to continue doing well then expectations would change. I could see us even becoming a club in 10+ years becoming a team that spends 60-70m on marquee players that are ready made to compete for trophies immediately. 

Regardless of what happens, it will be (and already has been!) a wild ride to be on. Potentially the most exciting journey any football fans around the world have been on!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, los dedos said:

As I said earlier I hate the narrative about the north east been more passionate but this is something I've not really thought about . 

Anyone live in the North east can confirm that they have less glory supporters. Does seem that way but not been up there enough to confirm. 

One thing I can confirm is most kids at football training sessions where City tops in Leicestershire a massive jump from a few years ago.  Even kids with dads that support Liverpool and Man U.:D

I’m not keen on the cliche’s either and it probably helps them that Newcastle where there or there abouts during the early/mid 90s when the sky sports premiership media machine was just getting in to full swing. It’s obviously hard to get any data on any of this so it’ll always be anecdotal. 

They had an icon in Shearer and they were competitive. We’re having our patch of that scenario now with Vardy and the team that we’ve got currently. Make no mistake about it the longer we continue to consolidate the position we’re in now it will increase the amount of kids who want to grow up supporting city.

But I still feel that we’ll always have a larger proportion of fans of other larger clubs in the area compared to somewhere like Newcastle but I think that’s down to “local identity” something which seems to be a bigger thing in the north of England in my opinion, but that’s probably a separate point all together. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

My memory of "Do they mean us" was being amazed that we were even mentioned in the national press. The game that really bought it home was the 1-1 draw in the league cup at home against Arsenal back in 1991... I hoovered up every newspaper the next day barely believing that we were in it.

That was reinforced in the early days of KP, when watching dodgy streams from the championship against the likes of Barnsley only because they were on TV in Thailand.

The media coverage given to Leicester City these days is phenomenal. I don't care whether we are badged as a top 6 club or a top 7 club or talked about in the same sentence, but just being able to watch every game, see extended highlights on match of the day and there being multiple stories about us daily was unimaginable when I was growing up, and I don't feel like complaining that we want more!

😂 Remember those two Thai dudes,  one in the home shirt one in the away shirt..  Like the Keys and Grey of Thailand!! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’m not keen on the cliche’s either and it probably helps them that Newcastle where there or there abouts during the early/mid 90s when the sky sports premiership media machine was just getting in to full swing. It’s obviously hard to get any data on any of this so it’ll always be anecdotal. 

They had an icon in Shearer and they were competitive. We’re having our patch of that scenario now with Vardy and the team that we’ve got currently. Make no mistake about it the longer we continue to consolidate the position we’re in now it will increase the amount of kids who want to grow up supporting city.

But I still feel that we’ll always have a larger proportion of fans of other larger clubs in the area compared to somewhere like Newcastle but I think that’s down to “local identity” something which seems to be a bigger thing in the north of England in my opinion, but that’s probably a separate point all together. 

One for you @Stadt

• Like 1

Adrian Durham is actually pretty good on the Matchday show, in which Talksport go around the grounds as goals go in. It's a shame he resorts to such shite on his drivetime show.

I had a look at Chelsea's Twitter when we beat them and it was full of weird bastards copying and pasting shit jokes. As soon as they lose, the only thing they can come up with is "we need to sign X". Weird bastards that either don't support them, do "support" them and haven't heard of anyone outside of London or the North West. This weird unfunny Football Twitter, 606, Talksport, Soccer AM, clickbait banter shit. I don't want us to be claiming to be a big club because we've got a load of oddballs from around the world that have chosen Leicester.

If that's what being a top six club is, leave us out of it. Our Facebook was bad enough with the Algerian nonsense comments.

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 3