Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Why does everyone say we're not a big club? Even Leicester fans enjoy calling us little Leicester for some weird reason and reminiscing about a season in League One.

Leicester is a big city. We pack the stadium every week and would fill 40,000 every week if we had the stadium for it. Just because we've not had ambitious owners in the past doesn't mean we're not a big club. Even when we had next to no funds in the 90s we had success, three cup finals, two qualifications for Europe, top half Premier League finishes.

And if we go back 40-50 years we were in alot of cup finals back in that era, had no end of well known players including providing the two main England goalkeepers Banks and Shilton, Lineker, we've had iconic players like Frank Worthington. This isn't just a recent thing. Personally I find it an extreme put down every time someone says we're not a big club, using that as a reason why we shouldn't be where we are. Why?

I think we are a big club, just not an elite club according to the media.

Edited by Dorkingfox

24 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Why does everyone say we're not a big club? Even Leicester fans enjoy calling us little Leicester for some weird reason and reminiscing about a season in League One.

Leicester is a big city. We pack the stadium every week and would fill 40,000 every week if we had the stadium for it. Just because we've not had ambitious owners in the past doesn't mean we're not a big club. Even when we had next to no funds in the 90s we had success, three cup finals, two qualifications for Europe, top half Premier League finishes.

And if we go back 40-50 years we were in alot of cup finals back in that era, had no end of well known players including providing the two main England goalkeepers Banks and Shilton, Lineker, we've had iconic players like Frank Worthington. This isn't just a recent thing. Personally I find it an extreme put down every time someone says we're not a big club, using that as a reason why we shouldn't be where we are. Why?

It's because the club's the media claim to be the biggest have consistently finished in the top 6 for multiple seasons. Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have been doing it for decades now. Spurs and Man City have in the past 10 years. We have finished in the top 6 twice in the past 5 seasons. I think it will take another couple of consecutive top 6 finishes at least before the media start calling us one of the big boys. I don't think anyone thinks we're a small club, Bournemouth are a small club, Leicester are somewhere in the middle, but in comparison to Man United and Liverpool, we are a small club, most clubs are.

Being a big 6 club is just a label, I'd rather be one of the best 6, and I don't think anyone can say we aren't.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I tell who is one of the biggest bell sniffers when it comes to us is Max Rushden. I listen to the Guardian's thrice weekly podcasts and he honestly doesn't know what to say about us, openly admits it and is almost proud that he goes out of his way not to have much of an opinion on us. It's prats like that that make what we are doing all the more sweeter as it just shows up their lack of integrity and professionalism of providing high level opinion and analysis of the game. They only have that content for the tired cliches of the supposed big 6 and teams like us rip apart their actual talent as a footballing pundit.

That really surprises me.When ever I hear him on TalkSport which is often these days as he’s covering for Andy Jacobs,he comes across as a well rounded intelligent chap.The sort who would appreciate a Leicester shaking things up a bit.He was on today and was being complementary.I think?(Only half listening)Yesterday our very own Mr Peters was on,discussing the title winning squad with today’s.Who would get in etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

That really surprises me.When ever I hear him on TalkSport which is often these days as he’s covering for Andy Jacobs,he comes across as a well rounded intelligent chap.The sort who would appreciate a Leicester shaking things up a bit.He was on today and was being complementary.I think?(Only half listening)Yesterday our very own Mr Peters was on,discussing the title winning squad with today’s.Who would get in etc.

Yes - he's Cambridge isn't he? So he definitely knows about us. I miss the old team of H + J though. That is a decent listen. I wonder why TS put their best broadcasters on at such bad times. Contented listeners = no phone calls probably.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I tell who is one of the biggest bell sniffers when it comes to us is Max Rushden. I listen to the Guardian's thrice weekly podcasts and he honestly doesn't know what to say about us, openly admits it and is almost proud that he goes out of his way not to have much of an opinion on us. It's prats like that that make what we are doing all the more sweeter as it just shows up their lack of integrity and professionalism of providing high level opinion and analysis of the game. They only have that content for the tired cliches of the supposed big 6 and teams like us rip apart their actual talent as a footballing pundit.

I remember the night we won the league after the chelsea spurs match. The presenter turned to caragher for a summery of us and to reflect on our season. charagher paused, and shifted uncomfortably in his chair looking lost for a moment while trying to find his words as if he’d  expected spurs to win and had never contemplated the fact that we might become champions.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, 4everfox said:

"Because it's Leicester" is quite possibly the most stupid, nonsensical reasoning for claiming a club is not capable of winning something I've ever heard. Yet hardly any pundit would write Spurs off despite them not winning a major trophy in 30 years.

Comparing our squad to all the others and only Liverpool and Man City can rival our quality. I never thought I'd see the day where Leicester are better than Man United. If there was a Premier League best 11, there must be at least four or five Leicester players in there. What a time to be alive!

I took the "because it's Leicester" to be a massive pisstake about the "experts" saying that in 2016. 

• Like 3

Speaking of Max Rushden, I feel the same way about Barry Glendenning. He almost takes pride in being miserable and a contrarian for sake of it. Michael Cox also has that bad habit of wanting to be a contrarian so often just because.

I stopped listening to the Guardian podcast since Jimbo left. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Koke said:

Speaking of Max Rushden, I feel the same way about Barry Glendenning. He almost takes pride in being miserable and a contrarian for sake of it. Michael Cox also has that bad habit of wanting to be a contrarian so often just because.

Tbh the Totally podcast is no better - their ‘analysis’ of our win at Newcastle was restricted to going about how Andy Carroll scored.

Paul Doyle when he comes on the Guardian podcast is very good because he’s often our appointed journo for games - so in the same way Percy understands it a bit deeper, he does too. 

I fully understand the lack of coverage in print media and online articles because it’s all about the hits and clicks. I do find it disappointing podcasts don’t go deeper - isn’t that the whole idea behind them? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

We are maybe not an elite club but we are a unique club a people’s club that constantly pee on the status quo. We are the envy of so many, we are extra proud as fans simply because this success was never expected. We are unique, sod being elite that’s for plastics and I for one am more than happy keeping it that way 😃

Why aren't we 'elite'? What makes a club elite? I think we are elite. Can't think of any reason why we're not. 

Everton fans up in arms (like we would be) because MOTD did a 'big six mini league' including the 'big six' and us lol

Obviously 7 teams there but they've included Arsenal instead of Everton. Chelsea in 8th there too. 

Some fans saying we're only there because we're 'flavour of the month' as if we've not been in the top 4 or top 6 all season...

7 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

In fairness, I laughed at that.

Find me a Leicester fan that didn’t, and I’ll find you a liar...

My first thought on this was to refer you to martin o'neill saying something similar and delivering, then I remembered that I laughed my arse off as well.

13 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Because in between those 2 periods you mention we were very mediocre for the majority of our history. Nobody can argue we are footballing elite when you look at the history of United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs, Villa. Chelsea and Man City are late to the party, they don't have the history and will never quite be considered elite. They are considered big clubs because of over a decade of continuously challenging for trophies.

We are who we are, we don't need to revise our whole history just enjoy where we are for who we are and how we've got there.

• Like 1

If we can get a draw or win at Everton and confidently control and win the game against Leeds I think it will be a big step forward. We've had runs before where we've done well only to inexplicably stutter and drop points we feel we should be winning. Everton are up there on merit and any points would be good. Overconfidence and arrogance seems to precede our downfall in some games, so let's practice what we preach to others and keep it real for a while. The home game against Leeds is one that I think will tell us a lot about our aspirations. They are very capable of putting in a performance occasionally that makes any team struggle and they're more than capable of troubling us if we don't maintain the standards we've hit of late.

The reason we're still a long way from being *widely* considered as "big 6" is because, as others have pointed out, we're still a flash in the pan right now. All the others have been up there for ages, even if like Spurs, they haven't won anything. The fan bases are enormous compared to ours and it takes a long period of significant success to build up the "brand". If we can continue to finish in and close to the top 6 for the next 5 years consistently then we will be in a far stronger position. In the meantime, I don't know about you, but I'm rather enjoying now what is a standout period in our club's history. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Why aren't we 'elite'? What makes a club elite? I think we are elite. Can't think of any reason why we're not. 

Elite is the best of the best, elite premier league clubs are Man City and Liverpool, they have been the only 2 teams competing for the title for three years and won a number of other trophies in the process.

Elite are clearly better than all others and it is a temporary status.

Big seems to be a club that has been competing in the top 6 for a decade +

Historically big are teams that have won lots of trophies in the past, but are not competing at the top at the moment.

We are just Leicester.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Elite is the best of the best, elite premier league clubs are Man City and Liverpool, they have been the only 2 teams competing for the title for three years and won a number of other trophies in the process.

Elite are clearly better than all others and it is a temporary status.

Big seems to be a club that has been competing in the top 6 for a decade +

Historically big are teams that have won lots of trophies in the past, but are not competing at the top at the moment.

We are just Leicester.

So 'elite' clubs are just those that have either won or competed for the title in recent (last 3) years. Are ManU currently an elite club being top? Were we yesterday? Were we in 2016?

Isn't  the definition of a 'big' club one that can spend £80m on a player without breaching FFP rules (or have lawyers to get around it)? 

I can't keep up with all these attempts at categorising club status. 

8 hours ago, Koke said:

I take great pride in the fact Glendenning blocked me on twitter after we argued about Ranieri's sacking.

45 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Because in between those 2 periods you mention we were very mediocre for the majority of our history. Nobody can argue we are footballing elite when you look at the history of United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs, Villa. Chelsea and Man City are late to the party, they don't have the history and will never quite be considered elite. They are considered big clubs because of over a decade of continuously challenging for trophies.

We are who we are, we don't need to revise our whole history just enjoy where we are for who we are and how we've got there.

Worth remembering we are only one away from winning the top flight as many times as Spurs who are one behind Huddersfield.  Obviously, they have a good FA Cup record.

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

So 'elite' clubs are just those that have either won or competed for the title in recent (last 3) years. Are ManU currently an elite club being top? Were we yesterday? Were we in 2016?

Isn't  the definition of a 'big' club one that can spend £80m on a player without breaching FFP rules (or have lawyers to get around it)? 

I can't keep up with all these attempts at categorising club status. 

A big club is one that doesn't have fans constantly beating themselves up over whether they're a big club or not...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Semantics about the words 'big' or 'elite' aside, there's many reasons:

• Lack of silverware, finals appearances and going far in tournaments
  • Only 2 top 6 finishes 
  • Small stadium
  • Not North West or London based
  • Still selling our best players to top half rivals
  • Far, far smaller revenue and financial clout compared to other
  • Much, much smaller global appeal in terms of marketing and social media etc

We are demonstrably in another bracket, compared to the 'big 6'.

That is not to say that we aren't a fantastically run football club. What this club has achieved since 2008 is phenomenal. What we've achieved since 2015 is unprecedented. We are the only club to have finished in the top 6 (other than that one fluke season from Everton) without spending hundreds and hundreds of millions. And I totally get our transfer approach - selling players for big money is what's got us to where we are, because it gives us the chance to sign the great players we have. Blimey, we sold Maguire for £80m and still have 3 CBs that are better than him!

I love our approach and I love that the groundswell of the sentiment amongst the fanbase of underdog status seems to have also permeated the fabric of the club at large. We relish the challenge of gatecrashing the top 6, all whilst being written off and whilst doing it with completely different methods to just about every other club in the league (I'd argue Southampton and Wolves, to a lesser extent, are also trying a similar model, but Southampton have obviously been less successful, and Wolves have that weird Portuguese arrangement...)

But I think we'd need to finish in the top 6 / top 4 consistently for at least 5 years to be considered a 'big' club. And I think we'd have to sustain continued top 6 finishes and win some more silverware over a period of 10-20 years to be considered a newly 'elite' club. 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 3