Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

We will never get a moment like this again because of the uncertainty associated with VAR. 

Sad really...

Having said that after years of watching Elvis Hammon and DJ Campbell it took me 30 seconds to wait for a linesmans flag to pop up anyway. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rain King said:

Loved Alan Parry as a commentator, mainly as he was the commentator for most of our 90s triumphs. Every other clubs fans seem to hate him!

Saw him play against us at Wycombe in some weird testimonial match on a freezing cold night under MON. He played on the wing and was actually quite good. To be fair, Wycombe also played their groundsman at one point! 

23 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

It was a magical moment. One that I'm eternally grateful to have shared behind that goal with my Dad. He finally succumbed to Covid 19 last Thursday and passed away. My best memories are the times we spent down the City and all of those Wembley finals. 

Sorry for your loss @Spudulike, take care of yourself.

• Thanks 1

What we inevitable did when we went into administration was pretty poor form at the time, whichever way you cut it. 

However, we weren’t the first, we won’t be the last. It’s no different to a business waiting on big contract whilst in administration, to offset against retain its assets. It was all legal at the time and within FA rules. 

To add as well, different club, different time, different owners. 

ITV Digital collapsed in 2002, owing something like £185,000,000 to the football league. 

In between 2002 - 2003 the following football league clubs went into admin / CVA. 

League 1:
Bradford City

Leicester

Derby County

Ipswich

Wimbledon

League 2:

Bury 

Barnsley

Port Vale

League 3:
Notts County

York City

Darlington

To solely lay the blame at Leicesters door for FFP is wrong. We were just the club that manipulated the rules to recover more favourably. Another question is, with football finances incredibly tight at the time due to this, who was going to buy our assets? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

What we inevitable did when we went into administration was pretty poor form at the time, whichever way you cut it. 

However, we weren’t the first, we won’t be the last. It’s no different to a business waiting on big contract whilst in administration, to offset against retain its assets. It was all legal at the time and within FA rules. 

To add as well, different club, different time, different owners. 

ITV Digital collapsed in 2002, owing something like £185,000,000 to the football league. 

In between 2002 - 2003 the following football league clubs went into admin / CVA. 

League 1:
Bradford City

Leicester

Derby County

Ipswich

Wimbledon

League 2:

Bury 

Barnsley

Port Vale

League 3:
Notts County

York City

Darlington

To solely lay the blame at Leicesters door for FFP is wrong. We were just the club that manipulated the rules to recover more favourably. Another question is, with football finances incredibly tight at the time due to this, who was going to buy our assets? 

To be fair I don't think anything was done to 'manipulate' this as you describe it.

The loans that weren't repaid were unsecured loans, our players went without a huge percentage of their pay for most of the season and the club was hours away from going to the wall.

The crime we committed was getting promoted and bitter fans (namely Warnock and forest / Derby fans) can't accept that. 

There was nothing manipulated about it - the club was completely bust and in freefall - the years after demonstrate that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The administrators would've had a complete fire sale if they could've found clubs to take on our saleable players and their massive PL wages (Inc Muzzy, Elliott). They couldn't shift them and we were saved by players (and management) agreeing a wage deferral until the end of the season. The club did not keep them through choice despite what our 'rivals' like to bang on about. Don't forget we had two playing for virtually nothing other than expenses (Summerbee and McKinlay). 

The administrators had agreed pay offs with all creditors and administration would've been avoided if it wasn't for a certain player and his monster agent. However, some fans don't want to mention that if they think they can claim the moral high ground. 

The players within this were absolute heroes - imagine being told you're not going to get paid for 9 months and you won't get your money unless you get promoted. Heroes, every single one of them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The administrators would've had a complete fire sale if they could've found clubs to take on our saleable players and their massive PL wages (Inc Muzzy, Elliott). They couldn't shift them and we were saved by players (and management) agreeing a wage deferral until the end of the season. The club did not keep them through choice despite what our 'rivals' like to bang on about. Don't forget we had two playing for virtually nothing other than expenses (Summerbee and McKinlay). 

The administrators had agreed pay offs with all creditors and administration would've been avoided if it wasn't for a certain player and his monster agent. However, some fans don't want to mention that if they think they can claim the moral high ground. 

Maybe so though I’m sure I can remember an article in the Mercury where they said they’d hold off as promotion was looking odds on and that would bring in more money than any sales. 

24 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

The players within this were absolute heroes - imagine being told you're not going to get paid for 9 months and you won't get your money unless you get promoted. Heroes, every single one of them.

Yeah bang on, they do not get anywhere near the praise that group deserve.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I know we can't copy and paste, but could someone summarise John Percy's piece in the Telegraph?

Assuming you mean the one that went up last night, it's nothing too exciting. Rodgers says we're enjoying the challenge of competing against the "so-called top six". Then says it's important to give young players a chance and he's happy to do so if they've got the right attitude.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I know we can't copy and paste, but could someone summarise John Percy's piece in the Telegraph?

It's in the James Justin thread:

Or do you mean this one?

Brendan Rodgers has said Leicester are “enjoying the race” for Champions League football, as he bids to finally end his managerial hoodoo against Chelsea.

Rodgers can take his Leicester side top of the Premier League for the first time since November if he secures his first victory in 16 attempts against the club where he established his reputation.

The Northern Irishman is threatening the top four again after another season of progress, with Leicester seemingly operating under the radar, despite having more points than champions Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea.

Rodgers is still waving away the notion of Leicester being viewed as title contenders but has told the club’s supporters to carry on dreaming.

Jason Burt:  Premier League title predictions – how the contenders compare and my top six

“The great feeling here at Leicester is one of realism. What the club showed back in that 2015-16 season is anything is genuinely possible – that it can be done,” he said.

“That in itself was something great the club achieved. But I also think the Leicester City people and supporters are realistic in terms of the competition. But it shouldn’t stop us dreaming and it shouldn’t stop us from challenging.

“At Leicester we’re enjoying the race, enjoying the challenge and it’s one of the things you want. To test yourself every single day of your life to be the best you can be. That’s a mantra I’ve always been comfortable with.

“We know that budgets and everything else are different to what the so-called top six would be. But I’ve always wanted us to feel that pressure to keep pushing, to keep developing as a football club.”

Rodgers made his name as an academy coach at Chelsea, but has never beaten his old club since becoming a manager.

Leicester drew both games in the league last season and were knocked out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage by Frank Lampard.

Tuesday night’s match promises to be an intriguing tussle between two managers possessing a vast array of young English talent.

While Chelsea’s Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Reece James and former Leicester defender Ben Chilwell are already in Gareth Southgate’s plans, Rodgers is hoping James Maddison, Harvey Barnes and James Justin can soon join them.

“We’re both British managers and both understand the qualities British players also have," said Rodgers.

“We all respect the qualities when players come in from abroad, and where they can really help clubs, but we both understand there are top young players available from these islands. They just need an opportunity.

“Something I’ve done all through my career as manager is promote young players. They clearly have to have certain characteristics to play, but you have to give them those chances to play.

“Those players need patience and as long as they have that good attitude to want to improve, develop and learn, they will get chances."

I assume this is OK as you can read the Telegraph for free if you login to it.

Edited by StriderHiryu

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's in the James Justin thread:

Or do you mean this one?

Brendan Rodgers has said Leicester are “enjoying the race” for Champions League football, as he bids to finally end his managerial hoodoo against Chelsea.

Rodgers can take his Leicester side top of the Premier League for the first time since November if he secures his first victory in 16 attempts against the club where he established his reputation.

The Northern Irishman is threatening the top four again after another season of progress, with Leicester seemingly operating under the radar, despite having more points than champions Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea.

Rodgers is still waving away the notion of Leicester being viewed as title contenders but has told the club’s supporters to carry on dreaming.

Jason Burt:  Premier League title predictions – how the contenders compare and my top six

“The great feeling here at Leicester is one of realism. What the club showed back in that 2015-16 season is anything is genuinely possible – that it can be done,” he said.

“That in itself was something great the club achieved. But I also think the Leicester City people and supporters are realistic in terms of the competition. But it shouldn’t stop us dreaming and it shouldn’t stop us from challenging.

“At Leicester we’re enjoying the race, enjoying the challenge and it’s one of the things you want. To test yourself every single day of your life to be the best you can be. That’s a mantra I’ve always been comfortable with.

“We know that budgets and everything else are different to what the so-called top six would be. But I’ve always wanted us to feel that pressure to keep pushing, to keep developing as a football club.”

Rodgers made his name as an academy coach at Chelsea, but has never beaten his old club since becoming a manager.

Leicester drew both games in the league last season and were knocked out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage by Frank Lampard.

Tuesday night’s match promises to be an intriguing tussle between two managers possessing a vast array of young English talent.

While Chelsea’s Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Reece James and former Leicester defender Ben Chilwell are already in Gareth Southgate’s plans, Rodgers is hoping James Maddison, Harvey Barnes and James Justin can soon join them.

“We’re both British managers and both understand the qualities British players also have," said Rodgers.

“We all respect the qualities when players come in from abroad, and where they can really help clubs, but we both understand there are top young players available from these islands. They just need an opportunity.

“Something I’ve done all through my career as manager is promote young players. They clearly have to have certain characteristics to play, but you have to give them those chances to play.

“Those players need patience and as long as they have that good attitude to want to improve, develop and learn, they will get chances."

I assume this is OK as you can read the Telegraph for free if you login to it.

Thanks @StriderHiryu, that's the one, and not too exciting is it?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Thanks @StriderHiryu, that's the one, and not too exciting is it?

Like watching paint dry! The JJ one was good though. Congerton and Rodgers deserve massive credit for bringing him in and nurturing him. Hopefully he gets the England call up he deserves this week to top it all off.

I will say one thing though, which is that it's nice that Brendan hasn't completely written off our chances and told us not to stop dreaming. A certain charismatic Italian manager once said something similar and it worked out for us in the end!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rain King said:

I was only 8 but would agree. Absolute stress after our second. We were on the back row behind the goal and couldn't see a scoreboard so had no idea how long was left. Those few minutes lasted seemingly forever.

Bored my family senseless on the coach home by producing several predicted 42 match fixture lists for the next season.

I fell down the steps after the winner, partly due to euphoria, partly due to booze.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I've never even had a dislike for Derby, just pity.

I've never felt one way or the other about them. Actually felt bad for them during their 07/08 PL season. Their fans have a big mouth for a mid sized club tbh, but whatever. 

I enjoyed playing them in the early 2010s though. 3 points every time. 

Edited by Koke

Nah, fvck Derby lads. Bunch of weirdos who nick literally every YouTube fad song going and cuddle up to Forest at the merest hint we might be classed as some kind of rival of either club. I live among the sheep and they still act like they're a more relevant club than us. Not as badly as Forest, granted, but it's still very strange.

Buzzing for them to go down.

• Like 2