Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

You’re coming across as a little bit of a knuckle dragger here mate. It’s the 21st century and female footballers .. wait for it ... play a professional game. I’m a nurse ... I save lives. Should I stop administering COVID vaccines and stop CPR? You know, because historically it’s a women’s role, right? The majority of male pundits are crap and have no insight. I’d rather have some insight and nuance rather then listening to ... merson, redknapp, Mills and others of that Ilk. Seriously with all that’s going on in the world right now and the ongoing talks of discrimination you’re saying ex female footballer professionals shouldn’t analyse the male game? Let’s make football more privileged, it’s a Fcuking great idea. 

I wouldn't say I'm a knuckle dragger to be honest and I'm reasonably self aware, I just feel that the vast majority of women involved in mens football, be it presenting, commentating or punditry seem to be inferior to even a low quality male equivalent. It's an opinion, so there's no real objective test we can place on it, I always get the feeling they're there because it's progressive rather than on merit. Sian Massey is there on merit but it's embarrassing how every commentator and pundit has to remark on how good she is literally every time she's on, it's cringingly transparent.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Its not, it just shouldn't be the first thing out of your mouth or unless you imagine that is her end game at appearing on television  

More bollocks.  Appearance is the first thing you see.  If you find someone attractive then you find them attractive.  Hardly makes you a sex pest.  I don't think anyone on here has said "She is a bird so should be in the kitchen but phwoar I'd give her one."

Just read through these comments about punditry, particularly Alex Scott. It’s like a childish game of tug-o’-war.

Here’s a solution. Switch the game on at kick off. Mute the commentary and half-time chat. Switch the game off at the final whistle.

(That way you can form your own opinion on what you have watched. Just like you would if you went to the game)

Then come on here and talk about it.

Edited by Hammo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, majaco said:

I see you have a flair for measured and reasonable debate.

Reasonable debate comes with a reasonable topic for discussion.  Another snowflake alert.  I bet that Alex would be so upset that someone may find her attractive on the TV.

5 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

More bollocks.  Appearance is the first thing you see.  If you find someone attractive then you find them attractive.  Hardly makes you a sex pest.  I don't think anyone on here has said "She is a bird so should be in the kitchen but phwoar I'd give her one."

image.png.9c12858e19d68fe082019b1a02ddffda.png

image.png

4 hours ago, shade said:

The real question is, should a woman be commenting on men's football when you're literally putting her in front of dozens, if not hundreds of ex professional footballers that are male, purely to appease modern societal demands.

I worked with Lucy Ward at the weekend. She was fantastic. Well prepped with a sharp eye for what was happening. 

Football is football. Analysis is analysis. I find it staggering that some men get so triggered by the gender of a pundit.

15 minutes ago, Bert said:

Alex Scott has won more honours in her professional career than any of the pundits on Sky or BBC currently. The game is played the same, the difference is that the men’s standard is simply a lot higher. 

Nailed it, Bert.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Reasonable debate comes with a reasonable topic for discussion.  Another snowflake alert.  I bet that Alex would be so upset that someone may find her attractive on the TV.

Nobody is offended mate you seem to be the one getting irate lol 

12 minutes ago, Bert said:

Alex Scott has won more honours in her professional career than any of the pundits on Sky or BBC currently. The game is played the same, the difference is that the men’s standard is simply a lot higher. 

That is true but I never understand it as a reason to support having female pundits.  It is obvious the real reason is to seem PC.

As an example, it could be argued that Big Dave Postlethwaite who played for the Dog and Duck in the Blackburn Pub League for 18 years and scored an unbelievable 830 goals should also have the same right to rock up as apundit on the BBC.

Played the game and was succesful  - Tick

The Professional game a lot higher standard than what he played at - Tick

So poor Big Dave has got the same credentials as Alex scott but never gets a look in.  Wont somebody think of the equal rights of Pub Players/pundits who never get a chance.

Until the TV companies, radio stations and media outlets start demanding more from the pundits they'll still be riddled with shocking candidates. It's rare to find decent pundits, the majority are dog shit. 

There needs to be a rigorous exam and qualification to get the gig IMO.

1 minute ago, TamworthFoxes said:

That is true but I never understand it as a reason to support having female pundits.  It is obvious the real reason is to seem PC.

As an example, it could be argued that Big Dave Postlethwaite who played for the Dog and Duck in the Blackburn Pub League for 18 years and scored an unbelievable 830 goals should also have the same right to rock up as apundit on the BBC.

Played the game and was succesful  - Tick

The Professional game a lot higher standard than what he played at - Tick

So poor Big Dave has got the same credentials as Alex scott but never gets a look in.  Wont somebody think of the equal rights of Pub Players/pundits who never get a chance.

But Big Dave Postlethwaite, didn't play for his country and no one has heard of him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

But Big Dave Postlethwaite, didn't play for his country and no one has heard of him. 

And for that I'm bloody glad. Imagine having to shell out for that name on the back of your kids shirt? Another reason why I'm glad Ormondroyd was pony too.

• Haha 1

Someone said get rid of pundits and allow fans to commentate the game. As a regular listener to 606 and The Kick Off, I can tell you that’s a dreadful idea lol 

I just turn my sound off these days. It’s a given they won’t know enough about my club or give us credit. Why bother? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yes but you do not go to football to check out "the birds" do you? You are there are for football, therefore she should be employed on merit to comment on football, the fact she tickles your stick is neither here nor there and it certainly should not play any part in her suitability to do the task of football punditry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Someone said get rid of pundits and allow fans to commentate the game. As a regular listener to 606 and The Kick Off, I can tell you that’s a dreadful idea lol 

I just turn my sound off these days. It’s a given they won’t know enough about my club or give us credit. Why bother? 

Where is Clive Nagington when you need him! :D

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Until the TV companies, radio stations and media outlets start demanding more from the pundits they'll still be riddled with shocking candidates. It's rare to find decent pundits, the majority are dog shit. 

Unfortunately football discourse on a national level is quite shambolic.  

TV companies should understand that people will tune into the games no matter what so they might as well hire good pundits. 

The reason podcasts are so much better than TV/Radio is podcast people generally put effort into their research. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes but you do not go to football to check out "the birds" do you? You are there are for football, therefore she should be employed on merit to comment on football, the fact she tickles your stick is neither here nor there and it certainly should not play any part in her suitability to do the task of football punditry.

not at leicester games you dont

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

And I said she was very good at the punditry.  Do you turn away when there is a stray tit on a film and switch off because it objectifies women or is that ok? When is it ok to find someone attractive?  Just so us neanderthals know? :)

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Does that mean an attractive woman isn't just being attractive for my benefit?  There is more to the world than that.

I was frustrated the other day.  I switched on the television to stare at Alex Scott.  Then blooming Sky insisted on cutting short her screen exposure to show live footage of the Leicester City versus Aston Villa association football match.

I have a friend who is more interested in the male physique.  They were similarly betwattled at the lack of soft focus shots of Micah Richards.  

Just now, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

And you appear to be jumping on the pc bus.  Well done you.

Stop trying to deflect by saying 'pc' to anyone that challenges you. It is a meaningless insult. I'm very f**king far from pc, I am just able to see beyond my own limited world view. 

1 minute ago, majaco said:

Does that mean an attractive woman isn't just being attractive for my benefit?  There is more to the world than that.

I was frustrated the other day.  I switched on the television to stare at Alex Scott.  Then blooming Sky insisted on cutting short her screen exposure to show live footage of the Leicester City versus Aston Villa association football match.

I have a friend who is more interested in the male physique.  They were similarly betwattled at the lack of soft focus shots of Micah Richards.  

Again, nobody has said that have they?  What is wrong with you? 

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

And I said she was very good at the punditry.  Do you turn away when there is a stray tit on a film and switch off because it objectifies women or is that ok? When is it ok to find someone attractive?  Just so us neanderthals know? :)

Of course...I may well return to Blockbuster (where the f**k is that??) and demand a refund.

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Stop trying to deflect by saying 'pc' to anyone that challenges you. It is a meaningless insult. I'm very f**king far from pc, I am just able to see beyond my own limited world view. 

So saying that Alex Scott is attractive makes me what exactly? Do you not find her attractive? Have you never looked at her and thought so or are we not allowed to mention it? You are making no sense.