Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-leicester-city-reaction-5029992

Maddison and Barnes take centre stage - The Telegraph
With Jack Grealish absent through injury, it was two other young English attackers who took centre-stage in front of Gareth Southgate at Villa Park.

James Maddison and Harvey Barnes both displayed a fine sense of timing ahead of this year’s European Championships with excellent performances for the England manager to ponder.

Maddison has been involved in nine goals in his last ten Premier League appearances, scoring his fifth here, while Barnes now has 13 for the season in all competitions.

Both players are on course for recalls to the England squad for next month’s World Cup qualifiers, while Villa were given a glimpse of a future without Grealish.

Leicester were vastly superior in the first-half and resisted an improved performance from the hosts in the second to strengthen their grip in the top-three after a ninth away win of the season.

Brendan Rodgers is now nine points ahead of his former club Liverpool and the consistency of Maddison and Barnes this season will provide huge encouragement ahead of the final 13 games.

Read more

Southgate becoming Foxes regular – The Guardian
Gareth Southgate seems to have a season ticket for Leicester City games home and away and who can blame him? The England manager witnessed James Maddison and Harvey Barnes score yet again as Brendan Rodgers’ team cemented their place in the Champions League qualification spots.

With a six-point advantage over fifth-placed Chelsea in the Premier League, Leicester look to be in control of their own fate as they deservedly stretched their run to one defeat in 16 games in all competitions.

Home victories over Slavia Prague, this week, and Manchester United, next month, would see them into the latter stages of both the Europa League and the FA Cup but it is Leicester’s consistency in the Premier League which stands out.

Read more

London clubs paying the price - Mail Online
Any three of the London’s biggest sides could have had Brendan Rodgers managing them by now but they went for seemingly more exotic options instead. They’re paying a price.

Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham sink into an ever deepening pit. Thomas Tuchel unfathomably humiliates Callum Hudson-Odoi at Southampton. Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal flat-line. And Leicester sail on towards a Champions League place, continuing to do more than any other side to keep the semblance of a title race alive.

It helped them that Jack Grealish was missing a Premier League match here for the first time since November 2019. Aston Villa were hopelessly lost without him. They looked doomed to defeat even before the two goals in the space of four minutes which put Leicester two ahead inside a blistering first half hour.

But this is not a story of one man’s absence. Leicester’s were masters of their own destiny; overwhelming Villa’s midfield in that first half and exchanging the ball on pure instinct in the final third. Confidence, mutual understanding, speed on the ball, intense pressing and a plan: this is what Rodgers brings.

Read more

Barnes too hot the handle - The Mirror
Gareth Southgate must have felt like cursing under his face mask as first Jack Grealish was absent and then James Maddison limped off.

But it wasn't a wasted trip for the England manager as Harvey Barnes starred for the Foxes who climbed to second.

First Barnes unselfishly found Maddison to curl in from the edge of the box in the 19th minute for the visitors.

Then attacking ace Barnes, 23, who made his senior international debut in October, got on the scoresheet himself with his 13th of the season in all competitions.

His pace and direct running were too hot to handle for Villa.

Maddison and Barnes enhance England claims - The Sun
If you listened carefully enough yesterday you might have heard a lot of banging noises - especially around the Birmingham area.

If so, don’t worry.

It was just the booming sound of James Maddison and Harvey Barness knocking the door of Gareth Southgate’s England squad off its hinges!

The England boss was there to get a personal sneak preview of what his England side could look like this summer - many would say SHOULD look like - as James Maddison and Harvey Barnes ripped Villa apart.

Villa Park might be Jack Grealish’s manor but, with Dean Smith’s talismanic skipper missing through injury for the first time since November 2019, the Leicester pair popped over and turned the joint upside down.

However it was Southgate who left his old haunt with a couple of gems stashed away for future use as he was given a tantalising glimpse of just how exciting England’s future could be.

Read more

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If I were to be entirely sceptical, I'd suggest that Southgate is attending lots of Leicester's matches so he can then post - justify not selecting our players without being accused of not watching them properly. 

Exactly what I was thinking. He's not going to pick Maddison or Grealish over Mount, or Barnes over Rashford. He wouldn't have picked JJ over Chilwell or Shaw, either.

It could be down to laziness, but I suspect Southgate is following orders from above to favour big 6 players wherever possible. Bigger audience that way. Sell more shirts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If I were to be entirely sceptical, I'd suggest that Southgate is attending lots of Leicester's matches so he can then post - justify not selecting our players without being accused of not watching them properly. 

Not exactly outwith the realms of possibility to be fair but it seems like every time Southgate attends, Barnes has a blinder. 

There is absolutely no reasonable explanation as to why he shouldn't be in that squad come summer. 

With Maddison and JJ (before his injury) you could use the level of competition in that position but on current form, Barnes is the best LWer in the league. He should he a garnered starter never mind in the squad but we all know that will go to Sterling. 

7 minutes ago, GlennyFox55 said:

I think she meant that we’re both teams still fighting for points rather than being at a similar level?

what teams in the league are not fighting for points 24 games in? seems the most banal point in the world if she is saying that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eblair said:

what teams in the league are not fighting for points 24 games in? seems the most banal point in the world if she is saying that

Of course it was a banal point, she's a sky sports pundit. Her job is to desperately flounder around looking for things to say to force 3 hrs of television coverage from 90 minutes of football. 

Almost none of the coverage is all that insightful. Occasionally Monday Night Football kicks up some pretty good tactical analysis but the rest of it is pure drivel. 

Nobody's arguing with that. 

But you were crying over the perceived slight that she was comparing us to Burnley when she quite obviously knows better than that. 

10 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

That's a completely disingenuous interpretation. 

She says: "These couple of games. When you're playing the likes of Leicester. Burnley, trying to pick up points."

She's not at all lumping Leicester and Burnley together, and if anything the intention was to say that Leicester away is a very tough game for Arsenal.

Exactly right. She's saying Leicester and Burnley, (Burnley being the team trying to pick up points) as 2 tough games where the supposed quality of Odegaard will show whether he warrants starting ahead of Smith Rowe. Nothing untoward at all

People really do get their cages rattled too easily lol  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Tbf this place has gotten increasingly entitled over the last 3-4 years. You can see it in the match threads clearly. If we aren’t winning easily or playing total football part of the crowd don’t half kick up a fuss. I actively avoid the match day thread until after kick off. Too much negativity and far to much cynicism. We complain about other fan based, but some on here need to have a word with themselves. I mean look at the stick some of the ITK’s get etc. 

There are definitely some knee-jerkers on here but the match thread is, and always has been - a very reactionary place. You aren't going to get nuanced chat as we're losing at home to Fulham. Post-match threads in the immediate aftermath of a bad result aren't much better, but I think the forum in the main is very supportive of this side and it's players, rightly so.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think it's a general thing in life that people look for things which aren't actually there to complain about.

Social media these days is just people finding things to get angry about. 

You can't avoid it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think it's a general thing in life that people look for things which aren't actually there to complain about.

More so now than ever before when to complain about or be offended by something/someone is widely hailed as an act of virtue.

• Like 1

Not normally a cry baby about our media coverage but the Totally Football Show today didn’t speak about us at all, mentioned the result and spoke about Grealish’s injury for a couple of minutes. Invisible men.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

**** me I know she's not great but Alex Scott was speaking about us with fear in her voice

What is wrong with her. I find her informative and she at least knows what she is talking about unlike some of the shit pundits today like Danny Murphy and Tim Sherwood who keep on beating the big 6 drum no mstter what. 

Easy on the eye too. A win win for me. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

Just now, Stadt said:

Not normally a cry baby about our media coverage but the Totally Football Show today didn’t speak about us at all, mentioned the result and spoke about Grealish’s injury for a couple of minutes. Invisible men.

Yeah getting really ****ed off at the podcasts which blatantly claim they prove decent insight but instead do **** all.

Part of me wonders whether Totally have been pushed by the Athletic to be more clickbait. Although I happen to think a lot of their pundits now just talk shit such as Carl Anka and Storey clearly does not enjoy as a Loughborough based Forest fan pointing out Leicester’s success (even more so when he predicted that we’d have a poor season). 

Guardian football is better but no hugely so. That largely depends on their journalists on. 

Increasingly enjoy listen to BBC’s Daily Football effort which is largely fluff (although Danny Simpson on it today let a couple of bits slip which were interesting) but it’s very good for the midweek games as it’s edited from Mark Chapman and the reporters from the game. In particular the Monday Night Club 

• Like 2