Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You're preaching to the choir. I fully agree with you. 

But I also fully stand by what I said about Tottenham. 

Tottenham are not an international power house, they're no more a massive name around the globe than Everton, Villa or any other "traditional" Premier League club, they just had a moment in the sun because they were qualifying regularly for the Champions League.

They're definitely boosted by being in the capital, that'll help them fill in their stadium with football tourists to give the perception of having a massive fan base once they realise 60'000 hardcore Spurs fans don't actually exist once they drop back to mid table. 

They're just the Premier League's Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Betis or Villareal. Clubs we think of as "big" when they qualify for Europe but quickly forget about when they're not. 

Spot on.

2 further points (not arguing with you, but worth noting)

Their history is good and that always helps

BUT

They are pricing out their typical supporter. Loads in Maidstone and mostly very upset as they can't really afford to go and feel the club are more interested in the corporate, the NFL, the tourist fan, the 'experience package' and the floating 'spectator' than the old Tottenham faithful. There is a bit of a poisonous feeling toward their manager AND their club from my Spurs supporting friends, of which I have many. They are hugely supported in Kent.

Just now, Nalis said:

What a difference a couple of hours make

Quite. Personally have no respect for Slavia and their antics. 

Surely they must have done more than just diving and play acting when winning all their titles? Just a shame we saw none of that other stuff today. 

On 18/02/2021 at 12:20, shen said:

The 'Big 6' is just a term for the six clubs that have markedly higher revenue compared to the rest of the league (link). It isn't a purely footballing term (i.e. league finishes), nor is it a term for media attention, fan-base etc., but I understand that it's easy to equate them.

We will likely not be part of the Big 6 for a few more years - if ever. Interestingly though, the gap between Man Utd and Arsenal is bigger than between us and Arsenal, so maybe it will be a 'big 5' simply because Arsenal will be closer to the 'rest'.

Your link is a year or 2 out of date though and barring something odd happening itl soon be a second CL free season for spurs, no way are they making that much cash now. Without that money there is no way they are above Chelsea or even Arsenal who havent been in the CL for years now but have a global fanbase/TV audience that Spurs definitely cant match. No way do Arsenal get dropped from SKYs big club invention first. It was only expanded to 6 in the first place to keep them in it.

25 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

No way do Arsenal get dropped from SKYs big club invention first. It was only expanded to 6 in the first place to keep them in it.

Or maybe to get Spurs into it?

Edited by Blue Fox 72

I hope we beat them in the worst game of football you have ever seen, Sam Allerdyce style with the winner for us going in off someone's arse/face in injury time. yes that will all give us a heart attack whilst it's going on, but come on it'll be worth it

1 minute ago, ParkerPen said:

I hope we beat them in the worst game of football you have ever seen, Sam Allerdyce style with the winner for us going in off someone's arse/face in injury time. yes that will all give us a heart attack whilst it's going on, but come on it'll be worth it

I’d rather just win 4 or 5 Nil to be honest. 

With a few of them going in the bin for shit house tackles.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I quite like their piss taking and banter to be honest. 

As long as it's all in good spirits. I think they're enjoying the tie better than we are.

Same, the outrage over the display and Kasper stuff is a bit strange, it’s clearly just banter designed to try and unnerve our players as much as they can without having a full house. The diving is a different story 

Fair play to them trying to rile us up. If they didn't give a sh!t they wouldn't do it. If we were in their shoes, wouldn't we want to get one over the flash PL team who think a bit of a bobbly pitch is 'terrible'? The tie is alive and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than some of the shyte the PL has thrown up recently. I hope we give a bit back in the second leg.

The one while Slavia thing imade me consider something this afternoon and I don’t mean this in a belittling way.

I did some reading on Slavia and effectively despite being very well supported, their trophy cabinet isn’t that stacked. They were financially fcuked (thanks to a deal by Mr Levy of Spurs) and eventually a Chinese group brought them. By making sure they dominate the transfer market in Czech Republic, they sign the best from everyone else bar Plzen and Sparta who won’t sell them their players. Hence the last three years they’ve been successful. 

What it made me consider and it’s more of a slur on modern football as opposed to Slavia as a club. That game on Thursday was their biggest game in like four months. 

If they win on Thursday, the likelyhood is that they fancy a stronger opponent whom beats them. If they lose, that’s their season pretty much done and other than the Prague derby, there’s not much to look forwaed towards. Win the title like they were always expected to and wait until August for the CL playoffs. 

Thats shit that they are reliant on a handful of games every year. 

• Like 1