Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

32 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Why should former male footballers be 'put ahead of' former female footballers?

Because they have knowledge of playing against men, women are better placed to comment on women's football.

41 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Here we go again ... 

It's not a particularly controversial viewpoint, I've always found the women that are shoehorned in don't seem to be there on merit, it's all subjective of course.

Edited by shade
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Koke said:

Simon Jordan fighting our corner a bit saying our squad is far better than Spurs. Danny Murphy saying they're on par with each other but that Mourinho has failed in coaching his players to be better.  I think they are both right in a way. I think Jordan is saying our squad is better to defend Jose. He is a big Jose fanboy.

The only spurs player that I would have in our team is Son

We’ve lost Mahrez, Drinkwater, Kante, Chilwell, Maguire. Maybe Musa also...

Nine of the ‘big 6’ have to cope with your best players being poached by other teams in the league.

the fact that we are still so great after replacing the above shows how well run we are.

2 minutes ago, shade said:

Because they have knowledge of playing against men, women are better placed to comment on women's football.

Such as an asinine comment. 

What knowledge does Paul Merson have that Alex Scott doesn't? 

Maurizio Sarri has never played professionally so I guess he knows far less about football than Steve Bruce, who has played over 700 professional games. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, shade said:

It's not a particularly controversial viewpoint, I've always found the women that are shoehorned in don't seem to be there on merit, it's all subjective of course.

The game is still the same. Its still football and Alex Scott and Karen Carney played in the Champions League and for England at multiple tournaments. They've proven that they know the game inside out and have shown up male pundits like Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson time and again.

• Thanks 1

The debate about TV and media pundits shouldn't be about six but simply about whether they are any good or not. Now that it's not supposed to just be a job for the boys it should be on merit, so some of the cretins should no longer just automatically get a gig.

There's still a problem though that whoever is in charge of recruitment hasn't got a fcukin clue. Needs a real shake up.

1 hour ago, shade said:

The real question is, should a woman be commenting on men's football when you're literally putting her in front of dozens, if not hundreds of ex professional footballers that are male, purely to appease modern societal demands.

Glad I`m not the only one who is totally fed up with tuning the Radio to Test match special or Five live football and getting Woman's hour.

1 hour ago, shade said:

The real question is, should a woman be commenting on men's football when you're literally putting her in front of dozens, if not hundreds of ex professional footballers that are male, purely to appease modern societal demands.

We could argue then if you don't fit a certain demographic then you don't have the right to talk about professional football. 

For example why do we have Graham Souness and Roy Keane talking about football in the 2020s when their experience is that of football from thirty years ago playing and twenty years ago managing? 

Why do we have defenders passing comment on strikers? etc etc 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We have had Alex Scott come to talk to us at work a couple of times and she's been absolutely brilliant. To get to where she has despite having a speech impediment and having a tough upbringing living on a council estate is amazing. She also spoke about plenty of other clubs whilst she was there and actually spoke favourably about leicester when I spoke to her. She really does her research unlike many pundits that just turn up and shout the first thing that comes into her head - eg, Merson. She's nowhere near as partisan as Neville whos getting worse by the week. Think this is really unfair tbh.

Just saying it as I hear it :dunno: she isn't the worst, not at all but she's also not amazing. She's just alright. She talks in alot of clichés. She really comes alive when arsenal are the subject (for obvious reasons) and comes across alot more knowledgeable and gets you interested in what she has to say. But outside of the usual suspects I find her pretty poor. Not unusual on sky sports unfortunately. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Can be - he's really fcuking me off at the moment that he's more bothered about Liverpool failing whilst his club United flounder in their attempts at catching their city rivals. 

He was pretty quick to learn after he first started so hopefully this won't last too long. 

In his defence though, Man utd not staying on the shoulder of Man city isn't really a failing. Man City are by far the best team in the country and Man utd are no way near the quality required. I dont think anyone at at start of the season would of had them second at this stage. 

I'd rather listen to Alex Scott talk about football than listen to Keown, Lawrenson, Clinton Morrison, Scholes, McManaman, Merson etc

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of women who are plonked into pudintry just to fulfil quotas but we can't dismiss women in the mens game just because they're women. 

Plus you have to take into account the womens game is still years behind the mens game, and that includes everything that goes with it. Media training, being in front of the camera giving interviews etc so they're probably not going to come across as natural in front of the camera and in studio environments. 

Sue Smith, for example, annoys me when she's on soccer Saturday, because she has this bounce thing going on whenever she talks, but she knows what she's talking about. Rachel Brown on the other hand who has covered a few of our games recently on BT just doesn't seem to understand punditry at all. She literally just throws words and cliches together because she seems to think it sounds right, it doesn't. 

As has been said, jobs should be given on merit, but that doesn't mean discounting a female making comment on the mens game because she never played mens football. Football is football, and being able to read the game is all that counts

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'd rather listen to Alex Scott talk about football than listen to Keown, Lawrenson, Clinton Morrison, Scholes, McManaman, Merson etc

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of women who are plonked into pudintry just to fulfil quotas but we can't dismiss women in the mens game just because they're women. 

This is spot on. I think that Scott does her research and comes into games with talking points in mind, where a lot of men who've been doing it for a while just turn up and wing it.

I always thought that to be a successful woman in sport you have to work harder than men and she's a great example of that. You have to give women and BAME commentators the chance to sink or swim based on merit, and I think Scott is swimming.

TBF, colour commentators are often terrible, so it's a lottery every time we turn the TV on.

The amount of collective hours we have spent watching Garth Crooks on BBC, we should be grateful that people like Alex Scott are breaking through.

Edited by isleofwightfox

48 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

He was pretty quick to learn after he first started so hopefully this won't last too long. 

In his defence though, Man utd not staying on the shoulder of Man city isn't really a failing. Man City are by far the best team in the country and Man utd are no way near the quality required. I dont think anyone at at start of the season would of had them second at this stage. 

It’s the noisy neighbours tho - they have overtaken United and now appear light years ahead. 

It’s akin to celebrating that you qualified for a final but then lose in the final 

8 minutes ago, isleofwightfox said:

This is spot on. I think that Scott does her research and comes into games with talking points in mind, where a lot of men who've been doing it for a while just turn up and wing it.

I always thought that to be a successful woman in sport you have to work harder than men and she's a great example of that. You have to give women and BAME commentators the chance to sink or swim based on merit, and I think Scott is swimming.

TBF, colour commentators are often terrible, so it's a lottery every time we turn the TV on.

The amount of collective hours we have spent watching Garth Crooks on BBC, we should be grateful that people like Alex Scott are breaking through.

What are 'colour commentators'? I don't want to misunderstand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s the noisy neighbours tho - they have overtaken United and now appear light years ahead. 

It’s akin to celebrating that you qualified for a final but then lose in the final 

They've overtaken everyone though. They're lightyears ahead of everyone too. I think he's just being realistic being happy they're on the verge of competing again because you can't help but constantly feel they're also on the verge of disaster. He isnt afraid to stick the boot in on them either. I think he's generally well balanced.