Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Mendy

2 hours ago, Gerbold said:

N'Didi and Mendy have very different roles within the team. N'Didi is there to disrupt the opposition midfield. I think there's a stat out there that he's had the most free kicks awarded against him (65?). I consider him one of the most important players in the squad - Nigeria rate him too. Glad Mendy is back in one piece but one good game doesn't establish him yet. There's room for both players in the team - should Mendy continue to sustain his fitness and standard of play. He was brought in as a Kante-esque player - to fill an unfillable gap. But a good team can adapt to those challenges generated when players leave - who's really missing Mahrez now?

I genuinely believe we are still missing mahrez. However we have been missing him since we won the league so you might have just got used to it.

(I do understand the sentiment and he is obviously fading from memory but today was a very fortunate smash and grab, and we were missing a lot today, especially from last week's performance at old Trafford.)

This league is ****ed up. Judging from who we have played,  and who they have played, (and how we/they have played) man u should get relegated and Everton should win the league.

I’m really pleased he’s been given a chance, he’s had a torrid time since coming here and hasn’t had an opportunity to show us what he can do. He looks decent, and I’d argue potentially the best partner for Ndidi, assured in possession, sensible passer and pretty decent in the tackle. 

• Like 2

Genuinely thrilled for the guy. He's been here for exactly two years and hadn't ever really been able to show us what he does, until today.  It was only the 11th time he's pulled on a city shirt - the 10th was almost a year ago in the League Cup!! 

So now Claude has a fully fit Mendy who is desperate to prove himself, the solid and reliable Iborra & Silva, and the very hungry Hamza all at his disposal and fighting for a place along Wilf. 

That's the good kind of selection headache to have. Credit to Claude too for making such a bold decision. When I saw the teamsheet I thought the whole of the midfield must be injured. Totally vindicated. 

Not surprised and a very professional performance. He was rated highly when we signed him (replacement of Kante), just bad luck and long term injury keep him out of the squad. Also he is Puel’s player and captain at Nice so hopefully we will see more from him and form a good partnership with Ndidi.

10 hours ago, Gerbold said:

N'Didi and Mendy have very different roles within the team. N'Didi is there to disrupt the opposition midfield. I think there's a stat out there that he's had the most free kicks awarded against him (65?). I consider him one of the most important players in the squad - Nigeria rate him too. Glad Mendy is back in one piece but one good game doesn't establish him yet. There's room for both players in the team - should Mendy continue to sustain his fitness and standard of play. He was brought in as a Kante-esque player - to fill an unfillable gap. But a good team can adapt to those challenges generated when players leave - who's really missing Mahrez now?

That's a very interesting point that truly my Son and I were discussing pre match yesterday Gerbold.

The discussion was not about questioning his brilliance ,at his best, it was about the over reliance upon him.

We both came to the conclusion that the evolution that Claude is bringing about and Riyads departure will ultimately be better for the TEAM.

1 hour ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

That's a very interesting point that truly my Son and I were discussing pre match yesterday Gerbold.

The discussion was not about questioning his brilliance ,at his best, it was about the over reliance upon him.

We both came to the conclusion that the evolution that Claude is bringing about and Riyads departure will ultimately be better for the TEAM.

Ultimately we will end up a much better balanced side and not reliant on one player.

Eyebrows were raised when he was picked yesterday, but I kind of understood it because nobody has nailed down that slot alongside Ndidi. Anyway the manager showed a lot of balls picking him and it paid off. He's earned his place in the side for next week that's for sure. I really like the idea of the core of Schmeichel, Maguire, Evans, Ndidi and Mendy. Looks like it could be a really solid base to build from. 

38 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Eyebrows were raised when he was picked yesterday, but I kind of understood it because nobody has nailed down that slot alongside Ndidi. Anyway the manager showed a lot of balls picking him and it paid off. He's earned his place in the side for next week that's for sure. I really like the idea of the core of Schmeichel, Maguire, Evans, Ndidi and Mendy. Looks like it could be a really solid base to build from. 

He was slow and poor

9 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

His technical ability, on his good days, makes him, if not in the very top echelon of 'greats', a hugely influential component of any team. However, we'll now see if his inconsistency was purely a feature of his latterday attitude to playing for a club which he thought was at too 'low' a level for his abilities. I though he was a disruptive influence at City - but very few people could see beyond his potential - and when he played up to that potential it was easy-ish to tolerate his lack of commitment. It was far more preferable to shift the blame for his 'failings' to the manager or anyone else conceivably in the firing line.

What concerns me is that we have a comparitively large number of potential squad members. Mendy (and, to an extent, Albrghton) appearing yesterday was a surprise for me but Puel obviously hasn't chosen a firm first eleven and it's quite possible he's never going to. Pereira/Ricardo is emerging as the player Simpson could never be and, to an unknown extent, solving the problem of Mahrez' unwillingness to cover. Maguire is a nailed on cert. - of course, yet he hasn't figured out Evans yet (and vice-versa). Schmeichel, NDidi and Vardy are 'automatic' selections but the rest of the team is an amorphous pot of possibles - although Chilwell and Gray appear to have further matured and Maddison has no dearth of commitment and is skilled.

Your comment about United and our level of performance is salient - it's easy for a team to (try) to put in a performance against teams where the chance of victory means a week's glory in the papers and the telly, but the real test comes against teams with something to prove - like Wolves. Also it's bread-and-butter stuff against teams that aren't likely to get relegated or finish in those positions which mean entry into European competitions. Puel has to deal with any complacency creeping into the team but, perhaps with Mahrez leaving there may be more stability in the squad.

There is nothing I disagree with in your comments but I personally think it's too early to think about effort levels and possible complacency.

I think puel is a tactical manager who will play horses for courses (now that he actually has options)

At this stage in the season I just can't work out how good we are, based on not knowing how good/bad wolves and man u are. (And by extension also Everton)

Whilst writing this I think there is a very real possibility that it may be more about how good puel is.

The man u game, minus the brain farts, and understandable inclusion of iheanacho over vardy, and amartey due to so many just arriving or recovering from injury, has to be considered a success.

Maybe the wolves game was tactically a success as well?  We are finding our feet, and too slow to start, but saw the game out quite comfortably second half.

• Like 1

I thought Mendy AND Ndidi would make us too defensive looking at the team sheet but it ended up being very effective. Great job Claude!

Ricardo and Chilwell were class yesterday and that solidity out wide meant they had to try to come through Mendy and Ndidi - and they couldn't do it.

We did lose a little bit going forward yesterday though without Silva or Iborra creating so much in the middle.

Surely, this won't be fixed formation for all opponents?

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

Not sure but he definitely got away with those two cross field passes in the first half that he lumped up in the air.

Those passes were weird but intentional. There was one moment where he could have shot or laid it off to Albrighton but instead bizarrely played the cross field ball to Gray who was very surprised it came his way. But it still reached it’s target!

Edited by StriderHiryu