Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Mendy

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Wolves are in the Premiership so are a Premier league side, Mendy did well, how about a little credit, btw it’s Silva not Silver.

I love Iborra too, but I could see that we had a round peg in a round hole here.

(and he meant fares, not fairs too!)

He will play every week whilst Puel is in charge. Puel trusts him to perform the anchor role in a 4-2-3-1 and allows Ndidi to use his athletic ability more. Got told he was straight in the side yesterday before the game and to be honest you can see why, allows the full backs to bomb on and he was very selfless in his performance. 

• Like 1

What a surprise that was. I dunno if anyone else noted it, but he seemed more bulked up than I was expecting. PL ready this time, perhaps?

I liked his short passing game as much as anything. Having a midfield player who is reliable on the ball is crucial, if we are to play Puel's way, and also to complement Ndidi's undoubted talents.

47 out of 49 passes, 29 of which went forward, 3 interceptions and 3 tackles, is a superb effort. The thing is, in PL football you need an amazing engine to play in a midfield 2 regularly, and Mendy is still young enough to do that twice a week.

15 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Impressive how Chillers just glides past the opposition when getting forward. 

Defensively he was better yesterday too. If he can master that final ball and killer cross, he’ll be a good wing back for years.

Great but this thread is about Mendy? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Good man. 

DIdn't realise his English was so good!

Interesting interview, specifically the point about Puel telling him to stay where he was instead of following the action. If you think of our team as a building, then that midfield two are the foundations on what everything else is built on. They have to be disciplined in keeping their shape, winning the ball, feeding the players ahead of them and providing an option to receive the ball. I think we will see a lot of Mendy this season because he's good at all of those things.

If you look at our midfield options then I think Iborra provides you with an extra man to win aerial duels and positionally is solid, but he's quite slow and prefers to take an extra touch on the ball. Silva is always moving to provide an option and creatively of the three appears to be the best, but is quite light weight and does often give the ball away sloppily. Mendy (admittedly from his whopping 1 appearance) seems to be good at all of the basics, but perhaps without the creativity of Silva or the Aerial presence of Iborra. But he does the team role very well indeed and it improves the team as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2018 at 08:42, Kisnorbo fox said:

Iborra is better than mendy and silver. More composed on the ball, and his size offers defensive and attacking help. Mendy had 1 good game against a championship side. lets see how he fairs against established prem sides.

Wouldn't call Ruben Neves and Moutinho a Championship partnership

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

DIdn't realise his English was so good!

Interesting interview, specifically the point about Puel telling him to stay where he was instead of following the action. If you think of our team as a building, then that midfield two are the foundations on what everything else is built on. They have to be disciplined in keeping their shape, winning the ball, feeding the players ahead of them and providing an option to receive the ball. I think we will see a lot of Mendy this season because he's good at all of those things.

If you look at our midfield options then I think Iborra provides you with an extra man to win aerial duels and positionally is solid, but he's quite slow and prefers to take an extra touch on the ball. Silva is always moving to provide an option and creatively of the three appears to be the best, but is quite light weight and does often give the ball away sloppily. Mendy (admittedly from his whopping 1 appearance) seems to be good at all of the basics, but perhaps without the creativity of Silva or the Aerial presence of Iborra. But he does the team role very well indeed and it improves the team as a whole.

I worry about him being out muscled. He's the same size of Kante but then Kante had super human speed and tackling ability. I'm looking forward to seeing him against Soton. It was only his first game. If he continues and improves I get the feeling Iborra and Silva will be on the bench most of the time. I hope we see Choudhury, regardless, for his development if nothing else.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KFS said:

'He said do not follow the action' lol I love it

This doesn't surprise me and Ill explain why.

I've watched Choudhury quite a few times play for the Development team and what I like about him is he's very good at backing up the play. Yet when I've seen him play for the 1st team he tends to sit more, So clearly playing to instructions from Puel. So Mendy's statement makes sense.

What I'd like to see is Choudhury play with NDiddi and Mendy with freedom to back up the play. 

I think that would make us more solid in midfield and more aggressive going forward, with his tacking skills. We could control games more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

This doesn't surprise me and Ill explain why.

I've watched Choudhury quite a few times play for the Development team and what I like about him is he's very good at backing up the play. Yet when I've seen him play for the 1st team he tends to sit more, So clearly playing to instructions from Puel. So Mendy's statement makes sense.

What I'd like to see is Choudhury play with NDiddi and Mendy with freedom to back up the play. 

I think that would make us more solid in midfield and more aggressive going forward, with his tacking skills. We could control games more.

That's interesting but what formation, and who would you drop to play the 3 in midfield?

I was pleased to see Mendy perform well but it's not such a surprise. As has been stated, Puel wanted him to sit, and that is Mendy's natural game.  All the YouTube videos we watched when we signed him showed that. He never surged forward like Kante did. I don't think he was ever a natural replacement to slot into our 2016 442.

Puel's style relies on the full backs to get forward, playing just 2 central defenders means the 2 central midfielders have to sit.  Out of the 2 in midfield it's Ndidi who you can see making occasional forward runs going for more of his long range shots. He has the physicality to do that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I worry about him being out muscled. He's the same size of Kante but then Kante had super human speed and tackling ability. I'm looking forward to seeing him against Soton. It was only his first game. If he continues and improves I get the feeling Iborra and Silva will be on the bench most of the time. I hope we see Choudhury, regardless, for his development if nothing else.

Are you forgetting about Mendy's tree trunk legs already?

LC8143-088.JPGNampalys+Mendy+Leicester+City+v+Chelsea+

• Like 3