Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

FA Cup 2018/19

Hold on. Fred is offside. Mata is fouled after the ball is played, so a penalty is given. But as the ball is played, Fred is offside, so surely that is the first offence, as the foul comes afterwards?

EDIT - I suppose Fred isn't "Interfering with play" until he touches the ball, which is the justification for giving the pen, as he's no offside until he gets it. Either that or Moss was waiting for the cheque to clear lol

Edited by orangecity23

Just now, orangecity23 said:

Hold on. Fred is offside. Mata is fouled after the ball is played, so a penalty is given. But as the ball is played, Fred is offside, so surely that is the first offence, as the foul comes afterwards?

I think they go with the more severe offence and anyway Mata was fouled before the flag went up, so I’d say that was the correct call. Great bit of VAR imo.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

EDIT - I suppose Fred isn't "Interfering with play" until he touches the ball, which is the justification for giving the pen, as he's no offside until he gets it. Either that or Moss was waiting for the cheque to clear lol

Surely he is interfering with play because Mata played a pass to Fred so he is active immediately. It's not 2nd phase. You can be interfering with play without touching the ball as we've seen many times.

And once again VAR solves nothing.

• Like 1