Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players acting badly to get others carded and sent off.

This has started to get out of hand in my opinion. I'll include the "head injury" syndrome in this too.

Players found to be abusing these rules set up for their own welfare should get bans.

I didn't think that Ronaldo deserved more than a yellow for his "pull of the hair" in midweek but the guy in this video ought to be banned for a month:

You'd think the coverage football gets means players wouldn't do stuff like that, as they know it will been by everyone. what does he think when he looks at that? How does he explain to his children (if he has any)? Embarrassing.

Players just don't seem to care how they look as long as it gives them an advantage on the pitch (or at very least attempting to gain an advantage)

As a football fan, its hard to stick up for the sport when players are doing stuff like this.

What frustrates me is how quickly it would be fixed if fifa just decided to clamp down on it and made a few examples. 

I remember an incident in the world cup, Ronaldo exaggerated a tiny bit of contact and jumped on the floor in the box to try and win a penalty. It was almost Gamst Pederson bad except for the fact that, technically, someone had touched him. 

So he gets up and whilst waving his arms around at the ref he actually draws the VAR square with his fingers. I remember just thinking... Wow... He actually believes he will get a penalty if the ref watches it, he actually thinks any tiny bit of contact is enough for a foul. 

It was incredible. 

Fifa need to toughen up the rules. Genuine violent conduct? Larger retrospective bans. But if nobody is hurt or was at risk of being hurt? Move on. 

Ronaldo got a red card for retaliation for Juve, by the law he should have gone. But who wants to see red cards for such pathetic contact? It was stupid. Nobody should really be sent off for that shit. Karma maybe I suppose but two wrongs etc. 

• Like 2

Agree with the posts above ...  this is a pet hate of mine and needs stamping out ...   asap !!!

Think the pundits need to make a lot more of it too ...   perhaps have a cheat of the month (like goal of the month) competition and keep showing it several times ...  and give them a lot more stick than all that  ‘well there was contact’ sh1te.

47 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What frustrates me is how quickly it would be fixed if fifa just decided to clamp down on it and made a few examples. 

I remember an incident in the world cup, Ronaldo exaggerated a tiny bit of contact and jumped on the floor in the box to try and win a penalty. It was almost Gamst Pederson bad except for the fact that, technically, someone had touched him. 

So he gets up and whilst waving his arms around at the ref he actually draws the VAR square with his fingers. I remember just thinking... Wow... He actually believes he will get a penalty if the ref watches it, he actually thinks any tiny bit of contact is enough for a foul. 

It was incredible. 

Fifa need to toughen up the rules. Genuine violent conduct? Larger retrospective bans. But if nobody is hurt or was at risk of being hurt? Move on. 

Ronaldo got a red card for retaliation for Juve, by the law he should have gone. But who wants to see red cards for such pathetic contact? It was stupid. Nobody should really be sent off for that shit. Karma maybe I suppose but two wrongs etc. 

I  think you underestimate how "clever" these types of players, Ronaldo isn't an idiot, he knows that doing the VAR sign will have no effect because that is not how VAR works. However, it does put doubt into the refs mind and winds up the opposition. Simulation rarely seems to cover exagerrated reactions to contact off the ball, so it is a risk free way of putting the thought in the ref's mind and winding up the opposition player. Next time he might go in a bit harder of leave a leg in as revenge and the ref will go, "hang this is the second incident he's involved in" and pull a card. Or the player starts thinking, "this player's trying to get me sent off I better be careful round him." 

It's all about getting in to the heads of opponents and the ref.  Pure shithousery, but very deliberate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Agree with the posts above ...  this is a pet hate of mine and needs stamping out ...   asap !!!

Think the pundits need to make a lot more of it too ...   perhaps have a cheat of the month (like goal of the month) competition and keep showing it several times ...  and give them a lot more stick than all that  ‘well there was contact’ sh1te.

Top idea,but top teams react like the  nannies of all the auntie nellies!!!!

pundits and football show editors,would lose their quota of free ticket!!!

Cant remember which day/game this weekend, but a pundit either on 5live or motd was encouraging a player to go down to get a free kick/penalty. Totally unacceptable, pundits should be actively discouraging play acting. While I'm here, my pet hate is the shirt pull when a defender has been beaten, usually happens in the middle third of the pitch, and is done solely to stop play so teamates can recover to a defensive position. First noticed it years ago in the AFCON, they do it as simply a part of the game. Its cheating, as much as diving. Rant over, back to Countdown!

2 hours ago, FIF said:

This has started to get out of hand in my opinion. I'll include the "head injury" syndrome in this too.

Players found to be abusing these rules set up for their own welfare should get bans.

I didn't think that Ronaldo deserved more than a yellow for his "pull of the hair" in midweek but the guy in this video ought to be banned for a month:

I don't know.... Maybe the brutal assailant has exceptionally long fingernails? The poor victim could have blood pouring from the back of his neck that will be pooling on the pitch within 2 seconds of the clip.... :whistle:

58 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Doesn't help when you have pussies like Wilf Zaha calling out refs for not protecting him. The same Wilf Zaha renowned for simulation and exaggerating contact.

Zaha did get smashed a couple of times in the game a couple of weeks ago. A couple of tackles worthy of red cards. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Zaha did get smashed a couple of times in the game a couple of weeks ago. A couple of tackles worthy of red cards. 

The Huddersfield ones were punished appropiately. The Newcastle one when he moaned to the linesman about a perfectly time tackle was a joke.

He just needs to focus on playing like the skillful Man City/Liverpool players, etc., its a sign of a poor menality of a player who failed at Man Utd and will only ever be the best player for a midtable (at best) club.

8 minutes ago, Nalis said:

The Huddersfield ones were punished appropiately. The Newcastle one when he moaned to the linesman about a perfectly time tackle was a joke.

He just needs to focus on playing like the skillful Man City/Liverpool players, etc., its a sign of a poor menality of a player who failed at Man Utd and will only ever be the best player for a midtable (at best) club.

I was more on about the one against Watford where Capoue scraped his studs down the back of his calf/ankle.

promo359567546_4402035.jpg?2018082616542

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I was more on about the one against Watford where Capoue scraped his studs down the back of his calf/ankle.

promo359567546_4402035.jpg?2018082616542

Yeah the extremes are a bit much at the minute. You have tackles like that on Zaha the one on Deeney getting yellows and then you get tackles like the one Ghezzal put in without actually touching the guy but getting a yellow card for because of the reaction of the player 

Biggest problem is the refs allow it, the first few rounds of fixtures in this years World Cup were horrific in terms of simulation and refs either buying  it making the diver vindicated, and too in reverse that when they were caught out for diving no card or warning was produced - this set an ugly precedent where prizes were being given out for getting away with successful dives with no punishments for miserable ones. If there was a common knowledge approach taken on in the long run with VAR ect. we can just tell dippy cnuts to get back up in two seconds and if they do it again they re off.

But given diving is such a major part of the game these days though you do have to appreciate the lengths players go to and the skills they employ to get a free-kick/peno/card for the opposition - it's a very valuable skill in the modern game, initiating contact and pulling your legs up from the knee is a great thing to perfect, we've seen Vardy do it over the years and now Maddison is buying freekicks weekly. It's just a part of the game and every team does it; I just hope an essence of sportsmanship stays there and the tackles are honest, although contact might be negligible at times; putting your leg in the way, going down and taking the hit is better than losing possession.

Anyway the worst/best case of this is from a few years ago

Marcelo aggravates the opposition with a dirty kick back, turns back into the approaching, aggravated player and buys a Champions League yellow card(quite valuable in K.O rounds). If VAR/very good ref & common sense were applied it would be yellow for the kick and a yellow for the feign - so a red for Marcelo, but that isn't what football is.

1 hour ago, Worthington said:

With so much access to retrospective footage etc, the authorities could quite easily do more!

Making the decision to allow punishments to be handed down 'after the event' seems a 'no brainer' to me. Treat the guilty party as having committed the offence and There'll be an end to this bloody tomfoolery !

Agree completely.

Retrospective ban and make it heavy.

Every game a player will sit on the floor just to stop the game. There's nothing wrong with him. But if it continues to happen then they won't stop doing it.

I do think there should be something like a booking if there's nothing wrong with the player but then again how can you prove or judge there's nothing wrong with the player? 

Edited by Fox92

It is just ridiculous that there isn’t retrospective action on these kind of things. Blatant cheating, time wasting, unsportsmanlike behaviour is so ingrained in the culture of football now. You can’t get every decision right, but after each round of fixtures, where there is the means, each player should be assessed and if found to be cheating or guilty of unsportsmanlike behaviour they can be warned, fined or banned. In extreme cases of a team persistently cheating docked points. It may seem draconian but we have let the standards slip so dramatically over the years and expect so much from the ref who has limited means of punishment.

This is part of the problem the rules of the game are so wooly that the ref can interpret them in so many ways and punish at his discretion that nobody wants to be the first ref to send off 5 players by having a stricter interpretation of the rules than his colleagues.

Edited by Captain...

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

The referee's leniency is totally justified.

I remember Liverpool singing "We're gonna have a party when Suarez gets a pen" without a hint of irony.

Some players dive their arses off to the point the referee has to be 100% positive that that player has been fouled to get a free kick. That's the fault of the player.

I have no respect or sympathy for Zaha. The boy that cried foul IMO.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Agree completely.

Retrospective ban and make it heavy.

To add to this, the FA need to grow a pair and accept that their referees make mistakes. Enough with this 'the referee gave a yellow so we can't retrospectively look at it".

If you gave a yellow for cheating then the authorities should still look back and retrospectively punish players. Like the Capoue on Zaha tackle. 

17 hours ago, StanSP said:

As right as you are... the boy who cried wolf and all that. 

It has been interesting to see the change in opponents reactions to injured players.

15 years ago, if a player was down, a good professional would put the ball out of play and allow the "injured" player to get treatment quickly... as the players themselves have realised its just a con, fewer of them are doing this and instead are playing on and getting an advantage. 

Fifa should just look at the NBA's way of handling things. Fine players for flopping and OOT acting. 

Whilst I dislike social media abuse, but we are living in a time where most people including players are self-conscious to their social media image. If you call someone on it, they will tune it down. Players in the NBA and NFL won't hear the end of it if they act in such a way. 

Edited by the fox