Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Another clip. 

It's a great interview. Great insight in to Kasper the person as well as the player. His drive and will to succeed is huge. 

It is weird to think back to those early days when Schmeichel and Hart we're the 2 young guns at Man City battling it out to be number 1. Hart won the battle and has more titles and trophies than Kasper, but now he is a bit of a joke figure and at 33 is bench warming at Spurs whereas Kasper is a Leicester and Denmark legend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I can't fathom anyone who questions him really. He consistently makes key, game-changing saves, virtually every match. He's clearly a huge presence off and on the pitch, a great professional and can imagine he demands a high level from his teammates. 

Saying "he has flaws" is such a stupid stick to beat him with because 1) almost all players do; 2) goalkeeper flaws are exacerbated by the position 3) if he didn't he wouldn't have played over 400 games for a club like Leicester!

'... a club like Leicester' 

:nigel:

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Care to elaborate?

Sounds like something a Sky expert would say with the preceeding words 'with respect'. 

Probably a result of 50 years listening to media (and our own fans) looking down their collective noses at our club. 

Not sure what a club like Leicester actually means or why Kasper wouldn't play for us if he was flawless. 

33 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Sounds like something a Sky expert would say with the preceeding words 'with respect'. 

Probably a result of 50 years listening to media (and our own fans) looking down their collective noses at our club. 

Not sure what a club like Leicester actually means or why Kasper wouldn't play for us if he was flawless. 

A club like Leicester = one that's only been back in the Premier League for 5 years; that has only got two top 6 finishes in its entire history; that doesn't have anywhere near the same level of resources as the top clubs; that hasn't won any silverware of note in 20 years (barring the obvious!). 

The club clearly has fantastic ambitions. And I think we're one of the most sensibly ran clubs in world football. I also think we're trying (and close to succeeding) something totally unprecedented - finishing in the top 6 without spending 100s of millions/billions. 

BUT - we're not there yet, would still have to achieve consistent top 6 finishes for many years, and definitely haven't been there for the majority of Schmeichel's time at the club. 

It's not small club mentality to state these things - it's simply the reality of the situation. 

Criticism of players like Barnes or Schmeichel that goes along the lines of "He's great, but has flaws" is a little meaningless because if they didn't have those flaws they wouldn't be playing for a club like Leicester. 

8 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

A club like Leicester = one that's only been back in the Premier League for 5 years; that has only got two top 6 finishes in its entire history; that doesn't have anywhere near the same level of resources as the top clubs; that hasn't won any silverware of note in 20 years (barring the obvious!). 

The club clearly has fantastic ambitions. And I think we're one of the most sensibly ran clubs in world football. I also think we're trying (and close to succeeding) something totally unprecedented - finishing in the top 6 without spending 100s of millions/billions. 

BUT - we're not there yet, would still have to achieve consistent top 6 finishes for many years, and definitely haven't been there for the majority of Schmeichel's time at the club. 

It's not small club mentality to state these things - it's simply the reality of the situation. 

Criticism of players like Barnes or Schmeichel that goes along the lines of "He's great, but has flaws" is a little meaningless because if they didn't have those flaws they wouldn't be playing for a club like Leicester. 

Sorry, you lost me after 'only got two top 6 finishes in its entire history'. 

• Like 1

Goalkeeper is such a massive position.  Look at the difference that a change of keeper made at Liverpool or Sheffield United in recent years.

Yes we might question Kasper's different approach to most other keepers on corners and crosses.  He could probably get to those balls into the box with plenty of hang time, but you can't deny that, overall, he has been fabulously, astoundingly successful despite the fact he usually stays on his line.

How can any fan of Leicester City not just love Kasper Schmeichel to bits?

The bloke in Leicester City's goal through thin, thick, tragic and miraculous.   

I was a big fan of Mark Wallington growing up.  He seemed to have played forever.  He played 412 times for us.  Barring something extraordinary, Kasper (currently on 360) will go past that.  And he's won stuff and performed well at the highest level.

He contributes so much to the club and when he finishes we will struggle to replace him.

Future manager, too, I think.

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly but for me the best keeper City had or will ever have was Gordon Banks (for those who can remember him). He was at times miraculous in his saves and it would be difficult to find fault.

That said Kasper has been an outstanding servant to the club through some pretty turbulent times. He could easily have gone to one of the Big 6, and in particular Man United to carry on in his father's footsteps but there has never been any mention he wanted to leave. In these days that is a rare commodity and Kasper should be commended. 
Certainly he is up there with the greats of Leicester City, maybe not the greatest (for me) but a very close second.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oldbluefox said:

I agree wholeheartedly but for me the best keeper City had or will ever have was Gordon Banks (for those who can remember him). He was at times miraculous in his saves and it would be difficult to find fault.

That said Kasper has been an outstanding servant to the club through some pretty turbulent times. He could easily have gone to one of the Big 6, and in particular Man United to carry on in his father's footsteps but there has never been any mention he wanted to leave. In these days that is a rare commodity and Kasper should be commended. 
Certainly he is up there with the greats of Leicester City, maybe not the greatest (for me) but a very close second.

He could only go to one of the 'Big 6' if they wanted him. I'm sure that he would've gone to ManU if they had come calling with a suitably large offer. Not aware they ever did. LCFC has been the pinnacle for him so far and very glad about that. He's had, still having, a superb career at our club. Many keepers of his standard will be envious of his achievements. 

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Probably best if you re-read your post. 

There you go. If you're being pedantic about the fact that I didn't explicitly say 'Premier League' then I suppose that's what's caused your 'confusion' - although my hunch is that you're deliberately make a bad-faith interpretation of my wider point. Which, by the way, you've not actually addressed...

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Sad 1

I rate how he says his best games are the ones you don’t notice him in, because it means him and his defence have been organised the whole way through. He admits he has a bit of an ego but you have to be to be a winner, and that’s what he is

15 minutes ago, M0901 said:

I rate how he says his best games are the ones you don’t notice him in, because it means him and his defence have been organised the whole way through. He admits he has a bit of an ego but you have to be to be a winner, and that’s what he is

The whole ego thing is very interesting. Anyone who remembers 'Fever Pitch' will recall the strange tale of Gus Caesar at Arsenal. He had a mare in a cup final and was never the same again. But Nick Hornby talks us through the processes one might have to go to to get that far, to succeed enough that you get to play in a pro-team, let alone a good one. The guy must have had a lot of self-belief to make it that far, so ego is crucial in this. I suppose as fans we're fixated on the manifestation of it (which might explain why Maddison comes in for so much gyp), but I think that all our players will have big egos - some handle it differently to others I guess.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bert said:

His mentality is seriously elite. 

It can come across as cockiness or arrogance. He is supremely confident and many will say he doesn't have the talent of his father, but I think his work ethic and dedication to his craft has allowed him to be considered a top goalkeeper in his own right. I don't think enough credit is given to Kasper for managing to emerge behind that large Peter-sized shadow and dealing with the enormous pressure he puts himself under constantly.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2021 at 09:35, StanSP said:

Another clip. 

It's a great interview. Great insight in to Kasper the person as well as the player. His drive and will to succeed is huge. 

Listened to it.

First thing - kasper saying he had a tough upbringing 🤣 he's been a millionaire his entire life. Some perspective please.

Apart from that I thought he was sound.

Secondly - Humphreys is a bellend and his sidekick just comes out with cheesy quotes.

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Listened to it.

First thing - kasper saying he had a tough upbringing 🤣 he's been a millionaire his entire life. Some perspective please.

Apart from that I thought he was sound.

Secondly - Humphreys is a bellend and his sidekick just comes out with cheesy quotes.

Money isn't everything. 

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not sure why 2 people are needed to do one interview. Watchec the Robin van Persie interview and the his co-interviewer wasnt needed at all. Pointless combination.

• Like 1