Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

1 hour ago, Corky said:

The mistake yesterday, whilst ultimately being meaningless for the season, summed up an issue that's been prevalent for a while. Why is he passing it out when we need a goal? Why hasn't he thumped it upfield to try and create something?

Just not enough urgency when we're losing at times.

Goalkeepers should realize they're goalkeepers for a reason and not try and take players on.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

The mistake yesterday, whilst ultimately being meaningless for the season, summed up an issue that's been prevalent for a while. Why is he passing it out when we need a goal? Why hasn't he thumped it upfield to try and create something?

Just not enough urgency when we're losing at times.

Watching back on the highlights the angle from behind the goal shows just how many players we’ve committed forward as well. Get the ball up field and put them under pressure. Granted a goal probably wouldn’t of came to anything anyway. 

Pros Good shot stopper, but the shot to save percentage of top flight GKs is a very small increase from 20th -1st.

2 penalty saves

SAVES

image.png.5951f42aa87e838f3e1954f9eab61720.png 

Cons

PUNCHES

image.thumb.png.77ba8a760bed4142d7163a233c5427e8.png 

HIGH CLAIMS

image.png.952e51ad736be65595c77d56c7f64d28.png 

SWEEPER CLEARANCES

image.png.eafba5c7f43ee7cb98b6b35eac334d45.png 

For the people that say he saved us so many points, what about the flip-side and the inability to command his area.

His not getting any better as he gets older, so if the club don't want to replace him they really need to have a deputy pushing for a starting place for when KS does make mistakes. Certainly shouldn't be undroppable next season when mistakes are made.

Edited by HankMarvin

On 27/07/2020 at 14:15, BKLFox said:

How so Evans if you mean for the PEN?

He got the ball, Morgan gave the PEN despite what tweedle dee & his mate might have said in commentary, if Morgan didn't go in & ref gave Pen on Evans alone then VAR could have over ruled by saying Evans got a touch of the ball 1st but with Morgan there it wasn't a clear & obvious mistake because they say ok Evans got the ball but Morgans caught the back of attacking player (despite Evans taking the ball a split 2nd before) so PEN upheld.

ps Hamza was to blame for creating the situation

The pass to Choudary a nothing pass Thomas was on, an putting someone who isn't renowned for being good on the ball under pressure, have a look at the picture he had prior to playing that pass, he can see the whole field with the ball at his feet there, Choudary can't, there is far to many nothing passes played in the defensive third, which usually end by a shit Schmeichel kick to an opposition player or touch. Morgan is also culpable how the ball isn't played to Justin and forwards is beyond me.

Edited by Beachyboy

• 1 month later...

Thought Nick Pope was brilliant for the claret and blue cloggers on Sunday ...   every ball near him was plucked out of the air with ease ...   with his big defenders in front of him all our corners came to nothing .....     funny thing was every time they had a corner or swung the ball in my heart was in my mouth.

Just saying ....  :whistle:

10 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Thought Nick Pope was brilliant for the claret and blue cloggers on Sunday ...   every ball near him was plucked out of the air with ease ...   with his big defenders in front of him all our corners came to nothing .....     funny thing was every time they had a corner or swung the ball in my heart was in my mouth.

Hardy surprising, given Burnley were rank no 2 for goals from set pieces in the league last.

He not the only keeper they give a hard time to! 

And we aren't the most challenging team to play against set pieces wise! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

If Kasper was 6 inches taller and Pope was vice versa, I'm sure it'd be different too. 

Likewise I doubt Pope would be able to match Kasper for sweeping behind the high line. 

People don't look at goalkeeper's specific strengths and weaknesses like they were any other position, they're simply either good or bad. Both Pope and Kasper are very good keepers.

Ok ...   but lets put it another way ...  (and I love Kasper) ..  if they swapped teams would it be an improvement for us ...    hypothetically ..   :whistle:

27 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Who'd be a keeper, eh? Top keeper like Kasper not even average in most departments? Right...

Crosses, distribution, free kicks, commanding the area, barely average at any of those. reflex saves and one on ones excellent. Pope would upgrade us a lot as we are a fairly small side

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kasper has, no doubt. many strengths. His main weaknesses are - at times - indecisiveness in coming for a ball at set pieces and - for me, the main one - his distribution in trying to build from the back. Perhaps understandable to a certain extent as this has only recently become part of the keeper's game, but too often we back under pressure because of a poor decision on who to pass to. Opponents like Man City, our next league game, can particularly take advantage with their high pressing and speed in their forward line. 

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I take it you mean average in relation to the rest of the Premier League? 

With regards to crosses and commanding his area, when does Kasper ever come for anything that he can't get? Very, very rarely, if ever. His decision making is good in that regard. Dealing with crosses and commanding your area is a lot more about communication and making the right decision rather than claiming every ball. Kasper simply isn't physically able to come and collect every cross without being several inches taller, so he makes the best of his resources. The back line know that most of the time he will stay and it's their job first to get their heads on the ball, unless Kasper calls, there isn't a mixed message where the ball gets left by all parties and results in us conceding. 

Everyone goes on about his distribution, but look back to when we were in the Championship. It has come on leaps and bounds. He made two high profile errors with his distribution vs Bournemouth and Man U last season, however for the most part I think it's very harsh to say it's below average. Look at Pope's distribution in comparison, long balls or simple roll outs. I think too much is expected of Kasper with regards to that aspect of his game, especially as he was bred as some of the last before the ball playing keeper days began. Overall there aren't many keepers, apart from the obvious ones in Alisson and Ederson, who are more comfortable with the ball at their feet (also, don't think it's really something holding us back) 

Pope is a good keeper, but I don't think he'd improve us dramatically. A year of watching him trying to play out from the back and sweep a high line maybe your opinion would change of both him and Kasper. They've both got very different strengths and weaknesses but are both top class stoppers.

I can see you love Kasper more than me ! .. :)

But ...  your second paragraph about crosses ..  he comes out for fvck all basically and many a team will get an easy nod in ...  it costs us.   

If we are really striving to get into the ‘elite’ then one day this will become an issue ..  as regards Pope I think he is a class keeper ...   and maybe at this moment in time we could prise him away from the cloggers ...   however ...   having said all that I do appreciate that Kasper is more to us than just a keeper ...   and for that reason alone  I’d keep him. 

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Apart from the one he spilled

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Haha, I love goalkeeping more than anything, it's something I've done for years, but Kasper is naturally someone who's game I've analysed a lot. 

Being a similar height myself I know how challenging it is coming for crosses against bigger forwards when weighing up the risk vs reward - one wrong misjudgement is a goal. There is more method to the "not coming for crosses often" than it seems on the base of things. Kasper probably backs his defenders over him to defend crosses first, or his ability to save a shot from a cross rather than just come and collecting it. A giant like Pope is definitely more suited to claiming crosses, but his agility and reactions to save a shot from a cross are probably slightly slower due to his frame too. 

Like I said earlier on, I think that goalkeepers need to be treated more like outfield players in the sense of "what they bring to the table" rather than they're just good or bad. It seems like a lot of people just put goalkeepers either in the black or the white rather than judge their individual skills. I think that's why this debate over Pope or Schmeichel is a non starter, because depending on how you would tactically set up they would suit you side better/worse.

Ha ! ...  I played as a keeper too when my knees had gone and I couldn’t run much.  I’m 6’1” and although many were taller than me I could always punch it ...  and knee a few forwards at the same time  ..  :)    Understand everything you are saying about Kasper but Pope to me looked a class above ...  and he plays for the cloggers ...  don’t want to lose him but in the cold light of day ...  well ...   I think deep down you know what I mean. 

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Ha ! ...  I played as a keeper too when my knees had gone and I couldn’t run much.  I’m 6’1” and although many were taller than me I could always punch it ...  and knee a few forwards at the same time  ..  :) 

Pretty good explanation of why your knees went in the first place there, by the sounds of it. :fishing:

• Haha 1

Always find it funny when people say Schmeichel is terrible from free kicks because of one mistake vs Burnley 5 years ago. 

His positioning from free kicks is now usually spot on and compared to many keepers I cant think of a single time he's been beaten on his post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

kasper 100% better than pope, non debate. kasper gets a lot of stick for his feet from leicester fans but very unwarranted, think all keepers who try passes miss a few, just we only watch kasper religiously each week

think goalkeeeping biggest position where watching your own keeper each week really exaggerates their weaknesses relative to other; bloke is a leicester legend who hopefully will get into top 10 for most apps of all time

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, eblair said:

kasper 100% better than pope, non debate. kasper gets a lot of stick for his feet from leicester fans but very unwarranted, think all keepers who try passes miss a few, just we only watch kasper religiously each week

think goalkeeeping biggest position where watching your own keeper each week really exaggerates their weaknesses relative to other; bloke is a leicester legend who hopefully will get into top 10 for most apps of all time

Absolutely spot on. If you watch match of the day or the occasional match then you'll just be looking at a keeper's shot stopping really so get a very warped perspective of how good they are, much like thinking all goal scoring midfielders are great when they might have major weaknesses to their game that you don't see.

As has been said, I really think style is important as well. People forget just how capable Kasper is of assisting goals directly because we don't play in that way. Yes he makes mistakes, but his distribution in terms of ability is right up there.

1 hour ago, eblair said:

Not sure how you can say Kasper is 100 percent better.

For a team that finished 5th Didn’t Pope finish higher in all related GK stats.