Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Topic closing - Why?

A shame on the whole but as I said in the post last week, it had down hill big time in terms of standard of debate and some of the abuse that was being thrown over the last couple of months by people was extremely over the top and I'm surpised it took Mark as long as it did to close it.

Maybe we can get something going again inthe future but I don't see any point at this current time as the same problems will resurface.

Thanks to @Webbo for moderating it while it lasted, a thankless task in this day and age and I agree with the majority who thought he did it extremely fairly.

I want to be honest and say it was one of the only topics i didnt read, Not because of the shit or controversy that went on there but i dont care about politics. There is no right or wrong party, just pros and cons from both. Brexit has some good ideas and being remain also.

Im not sad its closed. I am sad @Webboisnt around, i really need a quote on getting my lounge painted!

Edited by Suzie the Fox

I tended to stay out of the Brexit thread, mainly because it was so fast moving and I couldn't really keep up.I voted Remain and would do so again. But we are where we are and arguing about it on here isn't really my thing. It's a shame if it's had to be shut down but I accept Mark's judgement on it. I suppose with something like Brexit, as we move towards the end game, it was always going to polarize opinions and that can lead to conflict.

I hope @Webbo returns at some point. He's a stalwart of this forum and it's always a shame to lose someone, regardless of whether you agree with them or not

Is there any way to restrict number of posts in a thread. If you put a one post per poster per day limit on the politics thread then it wouldn’t shut down debate but it would slow it down. The biggest issue I have with the politics thread is just the volume of posts and nobody saying anything new. I would really like to know MattP’s and other leavers views on the Brexit deal and the potential for success/chaos and damage they think it will have on the Tory party and the country. I don’t have the will to read through pages of polarised arguments and political point scoring on both sides. A one post limit allows people to air their views without getting into arguments and hopefully lead to more considered posts and replies.

6 hours ago, Captain... said:

Is there any way to restrict number of posts in a thread. If you put a one post per poster per day limit on the politics thread then it wouldn’t shut down debate but it would slow it down. The biggest issue I have with the politics thread is just the volume of posts and nobody saying anything new. I would really like to know MattP’s and other leavers views on the Brexit deal and the potential for success/chaos and damage they think it will have on the Tory party and the country. I don’t have the will to read through pages of polarised arguments and political point scoring on both sides. A one post limit allows people to air their views without getting into arguments and hopefully lead to more considered posts and replies.

There’s a risk then that each post would be very lengthy I’m not convinced that would work. Even if it could be done.

In fast moving topics, a one post per day limit would perhaps be insufficient I feel. Vibrant discussion has a cut and thrust.

For those that didn't read the Brexit thread, it wasn't trench war fare. Indeed, given the divisive topic, it was amazingly well behaved and intelligently debated. I'd go so to say that I think it was possibly the best behaved Brexit thread I've read on t'internet (not that I trawl the web looking for them!) While people had sides, and preferences were clear, I think everyone was respectful of the opinions of others... albeit it with the odd expression of exasperation/disbelief/whatever. Moderation was light and, from what I could work out, only occasional. 

Edited by FoxNotFox

I think it's a real shame that the politics thread has gone. I wasn't a frequent contributor but it was one of the reasons I came onto the forum and often the first place I'd visit.

Whilst I disagree with a certain people's opinions, it's important to read the other side and understand why they think like that. I will especially miss reading @MattP and @Alf Bentley posts. I'd love to be able to offer to moderate it, but I simply don't have the time. However, I do think a solution needs to be found. This is one of the biggest moments in politics in my lifetime and up until this point, this forum was playing a big part in that.

I'd like to think the people who found it warranted to throw personal insults can grow up for the sake of some decent debate, it'd be a shame to lose it for good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Simi said:

Whilst I disagree with a certain people's opinions, it's important to read the other side and understand why they think like that. I will especially miss reading @MattP and @Alf Bentley posts. I'd love to be able to offer to moderate it, but I simply don't have the time. However, I do think a solution needs to be found. This is one of the biggest moments in politics in my lifetime and up until this point, this forum was playing a big part in that.

Thank you very much, appreciate that.

43 minutes ago, Simi said:

I think it's a real shame that the politics thread has gone. I wasn't a frequent contributor but it was one of the reasons I came onto the forum and often the first place I'd visit.

I'd like to think the people who found it warranted to throw personal insults can grow up for the sake of some decent debate, it'd be a shame to lose it for good.

Thanks, appreciated - and I agree that it's important to try to understand and debate opposing views. That's partly why I end up debating a lot more with people I disagree with than people I agree with (partly because I enjoy arguing, admittedly).

Two weeks before the referendum, when I was still unsure which way I'd vote, I went to a reunion of a load of old mates - all Remainers, as I ended up. With one exception, they wouldn't have a serious discussion of Brexit. The bloke I knew best would say no more than "Farage and Boris are on the other side, that's all you need to know".....well, no, it's not actually. Politically, I don't have much in common with Cameron (Remainer), either, and do agree with Skinner (Brexiteer) on some issues.

pssst....a "What's in the news" thread has opened up in General Chat. Might end up getting closed down if arguments erupt or mods get twitchy, but still open at the moment....

On 05/12/2018 at 00:07, Captain... said:

Just give everyone a daily post limit - that'll sort the problem out; ;)

On 05/12/2018 at 09:24, Simi said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Enjoyed reading Matt and Alf's posts especially - not that I always got to the end of the very long ones.

On 05/12/2018 at 10:38, DB11 said:

I’m sure there are dedicated political or Brexit forums on the Internet if you’re really missing the thread and want to discuss the matter

The sort of response that sums up the difference between Webbo as a mod and some others. :ph34r:

17 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

me looking at general chat

Image result for outside looking in gif

also

Image result for snitches get stitches gif

i keep mark's ban finger warm in the winter

i've been silenced again lol

WHEN WILL I LEARN FFS

never :cool:

plz tho mark, I promise I will behave in general chat

think of all the help I give in the depression thread and the photography thread and the pigeon thread

i do more good than bad

i'm just a lovable little scamp

You clearly have no posting limit set. :D

I find it hard to understand the people who report others unless there is personal abuse or very bad language in a thread that they post in. If only these people actually posted and joined in the conversations they could lead them away from problems - I feel sure that most of them don't and just enjoy the power of reporting people. If you don't like the content of a thread I would suggest not reading it. There are so many other thread to read, or you can create one for yourself.

Of course there are also the nasty reporters who just want to silence anything they don't like.;)

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Real talk, though...

What are Warning Points on my profile and what consequences do they have?

(Because I'm the nicest guy on the forum I haven't had a reason to find out.)

I've had two warning points sat on my account for years, one is for abusing the mods (kokopops) and the other is for "frivolous hooting."

I really don't think you need to worry too much about them. 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've had two warning points sat on my account for years, one is for abusing the mods (kokopops) and the other is for "frivolous hooting."

I really don't think you need to worry too much about them. 

You got a warning point for abusing Alex.

You should of been rewarded.

• Like 1