Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England v USA and Croatia Pre Match "£$%%^^&*

3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Has anyone found an explanation anywhere that clearly explains how the Nations league works, who we are likely to play and how other teams can qualify to play us?

Well it’s pretty easy - 4 groups of 3.

Portugal, Belgium and Netherlands or France to the final four 

Theres a second division below - 4 groups of 3 again. Ukraine, Bosnia, Denmark have won their groups. Russia and Sweden for the last spot. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

People keep saying this but the games over this weekend clearly prove that they are not friendlies and the players care about playing in the competition. 

I agree, it’s going to be like the league cup. If you do well it matters, if you get relegated they are just friendlies. 

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

I agree, it’s going to be like the league cup. If you do well it matters, if you get relegated they are just friendlies. 

Without a shadow

It should be important though that England are testing themselves against the likes of Spain and Croatia rather than Ireland and Sweden in the tier below.

• Like 1

There's something to be won at the end - for teams like us who haven't won anything for a while like us that's a pretty big deal. Would France be so motivated...likely not.

So June for the next stage in Portugal. The positive for us is Chilwell, Maguire, Maddison and Gray are going to be pushing themselves to make sure they get a place in that squad. 

• Like 1

So what is the consensus on our strongest shape/team? Something like....

Pickford

Walker  Maguire  Stones  Chilwell

Henderson  Drinkwater

Sterling Maddison Gray

Vardy

?

Edited by RumbleFox

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Pickford

Henderson  Drinkwater

Sterling Maddison Gray

Vardy

?

I'm going to suggest that's a epically subtle bit of satire! 

Surely it's not serious?!

3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Pickford

Henderson  Drinkwater

Sterling Maddison Gray

Vardy

?

Just swap Shelvey for Benchwarmer ...       oh, and buy Shelvey ! ...    :)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Pickford

Henderson  Drinkwater

Sterling Maddison Gray

Vardy

?

No Albrighton? Outrageous ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

As long as we win every game we'll win the competition ......     :thumbup:

P.S.    I ain't got a fookin clue either.

I ain’t got a clue either apparently it’s very easy to understand tho but looking on here it clearly isn’t 

Two questions I have is what do the team winning the competition get? And what’s this got to do with Euro 2020? 

3 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I ain’t got a clue either apparently it’s very easy to understand tho but looking on here it clearly isn’t 

Two questions I have is what do the team winning the competition get? And what’s this got to do with Euro 2020? 

A shiny trophy

we are also guaranteed top seeding if we qualify

we will now have a qualifying group of five, not six. If we fail to finish top 2 in that group then we would automatically go into the play offs for the tournament  

Edited by st albans fox

3 hours ago, kingfox said:

Shame they couldn't do that at the World Cup.

We were under the impression that playing 5 at the back and having very little creativity was the best we could hope for to stay competitive against the better nations. It got us to a semi final but as soon as we played anyone remotely decent we were limited. Southgate has gone to 4 at the back and utilized 3 forward players with an attacking midfielder, a defensive midfielder and an all rounder and we are causing even the better nations problems now. Maybe it was a wasted opportunity last summer, we certainly had no alternative plan which was frustrating. The midfield created nothing and Kane was anonymous but still ended up top scorer in the world cup due to the pub teams we had in the group.

I think theres real cause for optimism for England in the next 5 years. Southgate has a nucleus of players he worked with at U21 level and they seem to be a proper team together, add in the ridiculous talents of Sancho, Foden and Reiss Nelson and not to mention Maddison (hopefully) Wilson, Mount, Sessegnon and many others. It's great to see. Let's hope a clinical finisher comes through soon too as we're light up top and maybe in central midfield on the conveyor belt but it's been a stunning 18 months for English national football.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

What's the point of England being in this competition, if they're already going (presumably) to be involved in the European 2020 qualifiers next year?

Because if they fail to qualify from the group, they get a 2nd chance via a play off.

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

I do wonder if Kram would have prospered under Puels management!

He would have absolutely smashed it! Kramaric is a proper Croatia / old school Yugoslav type player and a throwback to the Prosinekci / Boksic / Boban / Savicevic type of players from way back when Red Star Belgrade won the European cup. What I mean by that is that he's technically excellent, very intelligent and full of movement. He started off the England game as a support striker drifting back behind Rebic (another really underrated player) to give them a fluid front 3, but then in the second half played as a 9 leading the line and not only did he get his goal, but he was dragging players all over the place and making space for others to get in. Brozovic should really have put them two up on the counter attack thanks to Kramaric's movement.

In the 4-2-3-1 that we play he would have fantastic as any one of the 4 front positions and his ability to interchange would have caused chaos.

I think to be fair to the club, when we sold him we did not play that type of football and there was no immediate plan to do so either. We'd literally just won the league with Counter attacking football and Kramaric is not fast (his primary weakness really) and not strong enough to play the type of 10 role we wanted. Though Slimani ended up being a bust, Deeney was our first choice so clearly Ranieri wanted a centre forward with strength and physical presence to give us a different type of outlet than Vardy, IE one forward to hold it up and one to run in behind the opposition. It's also why Musa was brought in, his pace would have made for good cover for Vardy. So I don't think we sold him because he was a bad player, but because he was not going to make any real impact in that season.

Such a shame of course, because all credit to the player he has blossomed and turned into a top class player. Not quite on the Modric / Perisic / Rakitic level yet (who are all truly elite class players), but he is still quite young and developing all the time. It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up at a Manchester club or Chelsea one day. I saw the Spain game too and again he was fantastic in that game and only overshadowed by Perisic, whom I can completely understand why Mourinho wanted.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rachhere said:

So June for the next stage in Portugal. The positive for us is Chilwell, Maguire, Maddison and Gray are going to be pushing themselves to make sure they get a place in that squad. 

Interesting point mentioned on social media is that the Nations League clashes with Under 21s Euro Champs. So interesting decision to make there 

• Like 2