Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Equality & Diversity Independent Supporters Group: Register Your Interest

Leicester City Football Club is inviting supporters to set up their own independent group dedicated to the pursuit of equality and diversity.
- Successful applicants will be invited to King Power Stadium to share ideas on equality and diversity
- Applications are open via the same format as previous Your 90 Minutes forums on Filbert Way
- The first meeting will run in the style of a Fans Consultative Committee

As Leicester City continues commitments towards equality and diversity within all walks of the Club, we are offering supporters the chance to influence this ongoing pursuit.

A selection of fans will be invited to join Club representatives at King Power Stadium to form an external working group on the subject (date to be confirmed).

The first meeting will be a chance to share initial ideas, with subsequent meetings scheduled thereafter to influence positive change within the Club.

Whatever your opinion and ideas on the matters in question, you are invited to take part to have your say.

Places for the group are limited, so those who wish to contribute should email the following to

[email protected] by 5pm GMT on Friday 14 December:

- Name
- Supporter number (if applicable)
- Contact number
- A few words explaining why you want to be part of the group
- A few words on what you feel you could offer to the group

Successful applicants will be contacted shortly after with details of the first meeting.

29 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

No issues with diversity issues themselves whatsoever,  on the contrary, I applaud and agree with the sentiments 100%. However, I'm more than a little fed up with bandwagons and having things rammed down my throat, usually by politically motivated individuals who are more in it for their careerist or brownie point gaining personal agendas. Even people of my older age group get it believe it or not. As for my kids, they are so over it all and most of these predudices and attitudes are looked upon as archaic and rediculous. Are you going to always have a bigoted stupid minority?  Yes of course you are and you'll never stop those but they are just that now, a minority. I just think that sometimes these things get overdone and it can do more damage than good as people switch off and stop listening to the message. No offence meant. 

Ian Wright is doing a documentary about racism in footy on ITV, which sounds like a really good reminder of why this kind of thing is still necessary. Surely you support something like Kick it Out, so we are only really talking about which groups merit some extra support, given the historical prejudices.

Didn't we see the former Welsh rugby captain took a beating for all the wrong reasons last week? Clearly there is plenty of work still to do.

I can understand some of the frustration with the seemingly endless stream of marginalised groups demanding special attention, but then society marginalised the majority of the population back in the day, and these things need to be addressed. Not all kids are brought up in decent homes, so I think there is still a need for this kind of openess and inclusivity.

I guess we all want this not to be needed, and it is more a question of timing. I do agree that these efforts have to be well designed to be effective, and all too often things do get terribly 'preachy'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Ian Wright is doing a documentary about racism in footy on ITV, which sounds like a really good reminder of why this kind of thing is still necessary. Surely you support something like Kick it Out, so we are only really talking about which groups merit some extra support, given the historical prejudices.

Didn't we see the former Welsh rugby captain took a beating for all the wrong reasons last week? Clearly there is plenty of work still to do.

I can understand some of the frustration with the seemingly endless stream of marginalised groups demanding special attention, but then society marginalised the majority of the population back in the day, and these things need to be addressed. Not all kids are brought up in decent homes, so I think there is still a need for this kind of openess and inclusivity.

I guess we all want this not to be needed, and it is more a question of timing. I do agree that these efforts have to be well designed to be effective, and all too often things do get terribly 'preachy'.

I agree with all that you've said and 100% back the kick it out initiative, I do sadly remember the dark days of monkey chants and banana skins etc. Yet now days many of our best loved football hero's just happen to be black and particularly kids thankfully, just see a footballer. Wrighty is a particular favourite of mine because of his passion and appreciation of his late success in the game not to mention his absolute pride of the England shirt. I would certainly listen to what he has to say.

As for the dreadful homophobic attack on Gareth Thomas, whilst I'm suprised he didn't make absolute mincemeat of his assailant, I was more than a little touched and admired with his subsequent reaction on meeting the lad and how he dealt with it all. What a lesson. Very impressive !

My problem with such initiatives are probably based on my cynicism due to things I have seen. Certain people will attend,  many well meaning but also those that will simply repeat their best diversity class mantras to show how sympathetic they are to the cause and perhaps even gain a little position of power on a comittee they can bore people to death with. Tired suggestions of political t shirts, posters and rainbow laces etc will follow. We are a football club and need to be all inclusive. I think recent events have tended to show that we are.

24 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I agree with all that you've said and 100% back the kick it out initiative, I do sadly remember the dark days of monkey chants and banana skins etc. Yet now days many of our best loved football hero's just happen to be black and particularly kids thankfully, just see a footballer. Wrighty is a particular favourite of mine because of his passion and appreciation of his late success in the game not to mention his absolute pride of the England shirt. I would certainly listen to what he has to say.

As for the dreadful homophobic attack on Gareth Thomas, whilst I'm suprised he didn't make absolute mincemeat of his assailant, I was more than a little touched and admired with his subsequent reaction on meeting the lad and how he dealt with it all. What a lesson. Very impressive !

My problem with such initiatives are probably based on my cynicism due to things I have seen. Certain people will attend,  many well meaning but also those that will simply repeat their best diversity class mantras to show how sympathetic they are to the cause and perhaps even gain a little position of power on a comittee they can bore people to death with. Tired suggestions of political t shirts, posters and rainbow laces etc will follow. We are a football club and need to be all inclusive. I think recent events have tended to show that we are.

Virtue signalling, endless grievances and  the worst side of what we sometimes call identity politics etc. These are all fair points of concern, we have all seen it at one time or other. I don't really have any defence for that.

But I still think that on balance, it is a positive move by the club.

Gareth Thomas was tremendous, totally agree. And this Wrighty ITV4 doc sounds amazing (he was on 5 live talking about it), and he really has seen how much has changed, even though the job isn't really finished.

https://www.football365.com/news/wright-recalls-racist-abuse-he-received-from-own-team-mates

Former Arsenal and England striker Ian Wright has revealed that he received racist abuse from some of his own team-mates early on in his career.

Wright, who is now a brilliant pundit, played over 200 times for both the Gunners and Crystal Palace as well as representing West Ham, Nottingham Forest, Celtic and Burnley.

In a new ITV documentary called ‘Out Of Their Skin‘, Wright says it was common place for training matches to take place as “blacks against whites”.

Wright made an extremely successful career out the game, scoring over 300 goals for club and country – but he has lifted the lid on what it was like for a black player in Palace’s dressing room in his early days at Selhurst Park.

“When I first signed for Palace I got abuse in the changing room. It was just an accepted thing to do that,” Wright recalled on the documentary.

“In training we played blacks against whites, people are flying in, flare-ups. A lot of the time the black guys won, you know. Some of the times there was friction.

“Black players had a submissive way about them, in a predominantly white environment. Somewhere along the line you’re going to be the butt of jokes.”

The two-part documentary will hit your TV screens on ITV4 at 10pm on Tuesday, November 27 and Wednesday, November 28.

• Like 2

The way the club, fans and community came together after the helicopter crash was really positive.  I think the club is just trying to do what it can to make everyone feel included on other occasions.  Unfortunately, homophobia is still a problem in football.  Our club isn't immune from that, as anyone who heard the homophobic chanting against Brighton last year will know.   If a new supporters group can help do something about that, then I'm for it.  

• Like 2