Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

Can’t see any reason for Claude to be sacked unless we’re facing relegation (which seems unlikely). He’s done well with developing youth (quite clearly a major strategy for the club) and transfers since he’s been here have generally been very good.

Yes, I’ve been as bored as the next person with some of the football this season, but there’s also been glimpses of something better.

• Like 4

On 26/12/2018 at 21:37, Babylon said:

It's a "poor league" completely ignoring the fact nobody else seems to be able to take advantage of that. A bit like how the "league was shit" when we won it according to other fans. 

I so love that "the league was shite when you won it" comment. 

How fvcking stupid would you have to be to say it. 

You walk straight into a "how fvcking shite were you then" lol lol lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Not really sure you answered any of what I said in my post but good points, well made.  X

You asked about negativity, finishing ninth last season is not something I'm going to base my opinions of a manager on but will be on a number of issues.

We may be seventh at the minute but even Peter Taylor reached first spot, the journey is as important I suppose as reaching your destination:)

Just now, ithuriel said:

You asked about negativity, finishing ninth last season is not something I'm going to base my opinions of a manager on but will be on a number of issues.

We may be seventh at the minute but even Peter Taylor reached first spot, the journey is as important I suppose as reaching your destination:)

I talked nothing of style, I even said in the post I understand some people not liking him.  My point was the following....

The negativity over Puel is harsher than it should be.

That is all.  X

• Like 4

Just now, RumbleFox said:

I talked nothing of style, I even said in the post I understand some people not liking him.  My point was the following....

That is all.  X

Style? you asked a question, if you do not like the answer do not get in a huff about it.

15 minutes ago, sylofox said:

I so love that "the league was shite when you won it" comment. 

How fvcking stupid would you have to be to say it. 

You walk straight into a "how fvcking shite were you then" lol lol lol

IF you had swapped us with Chelsea that season, no one would have said it was a shite league that season.

Its not that we were good, which we were most of the time  but that we were consistent when others were not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

That is all.  X

My previous answer was a little harsh, its not that peeps are overly negative, its that things fluctuate, I've heard a few times peeps say at the matches, I was already for him to go and now I'm not certain.

His inconsistent displays baffle peeps, we can go 3 games of utter dross Megson would be proud of and then have a game that is Roy of the Rovers stuff, so a lot of peeps get frustrated.

See the middle of our survival season where Pearson was getting some stick and pressure because we went from good to awful to decent to awful to sublime and then he was gone.

39 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Style? you asked a question, if you do not like the answer do not get in a huff about it.

I am not in a huff, I genuinely like being disagreed with, I hate surrounding myself with people who think the same, life is boring that way.  I just don't like straw men arguments.  I made a point about Puel being treated unfairly, that was all.  You went on a rant about the style of play, some of which I agreed with, but which had nothing to do with my original post.  If anyone doesn't like the answer here it is you.  I am not annoyed at your points, I am just at pains to get my points understood corretcly.  I am petty and annoying, we all know that.  X

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I am not in a huff, I genuinely like being disagreed with, I hate surrounding myself with people who think the same, life is boring that way.  I just don't like straw men arguments.  I made a point about Puel being treated unfairly, that was all.  You went on a rant about the style of play, some of which I agreed with, but which had nothing to do with my original post.  If anyone doesn't like the answer here it is you.  I am not annoyed at your points, I am just at pains to get my points understood corretcly.  I am petty and annoying, we all know that.  X

No, you made a post about league positions and asked about negativity and you did not like the answer pal, which is why this drivel is ongoing, You are the one that is not listening and I cant be bothered with you anymore.

12 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

1 wonder how old people are when they say living memory  as the 60s  were a brilliant decade and when we played Man U they were underdogs and surprise winners  in the FA cup.  and  the league cup ie  silver ware was won 34 years before Oneil

I don't know about other "oldies" on FT, but I'm a mere 70, and I'm pretty sure there are others older, we were unlucky to lose to Chelsea the following year after beating Stoke in the Final, we lost to a Peter Osgood goal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I disagree with your answer but hey ho, I like differing views.  My only point is that the negativeity is OTT.  That is all.  You cannot even admit that,  Of course I understand people not liking his style, of course I understand some people not liking him but definitely, objectively I believe the following statement to be true:

CLAUDE PUEL GETS MORE STICK THAN HE DESERVES.

If you disagree with that statement I would like you to back it up.  And before the inevitable strawmen arguments appear.  The following are things I have not said:

He deserves NO stick.

Our football is beautiful.

There is no room for improvement.

People are not allowed to criticise him

Once more to be clear, my only point is:

As I said, if you disagree with that statement alone please tell me why and I will listen and I am always willing to have my mind changed.  X

I understand your point...it's explained well enough...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's become vogue to want things that make life worse for yourself while not appreciating how good things actually are. 

A quick look at history shows that these are in fact good times. Still let's bring back slavery things were good then, or so I'm told.

This is true but how many years of that were in the second tier  and  normally challenging for promotion  which  rightly or wrongly was enjoyed more than  mid   table . It is incredible to me how many said they enjoyed the season in the 3rd tier .

It was really interesting watching Puel's body language at full time against Man City. Aside from the obvious handshakes, he went straight to the refs to do the same, but no Leic players apart from Harry and Hamza greeted him but only as they were close by. He then applauded the fans from the centre circle and walked down the tunnel.

What I'm saying he's cutting a lonely figure, but I back him and I think Top and Rudkin will keep him till end of season.

To be the best of the rest and 7th come May would be brilliant, so its progress for me!

6 hours ago, Buce said:

Tbf, the League Cup back then was a Mickey Mouse cup, two-leg final not even played at Wembley. 

But, yeah, the Sixties side was magnificent and could have - should have - won the Double in ‘63. 

I normally agree 100% with anyone of my era  but  am baffled by the comment mickey mouse when the 2  finals were matches between 2 sides of star  names and led to us playing Athlectico Madrid and sides were full strength ones. Whilst I attended and enjoyed  the cup  wins under Martin it was a bit embarrassing  to get so excited over beating Tranmere as opposed to star sides like Stoke and Chelsea

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I disagree with your answer but hey ho, I like differing views.  My only point is that the negativeity is OTT.  That is all.  You cannot even admit that,  Of course I understand people not liking his style, of course I understand some people not liking him but definitely, objectively I believe the following statement to be true:

If you disagree with that statement I would like you to back it up.  And before the inevitable strawmen arguments appear.  The following are things I have not said:

He deserves NO stick.

Our football is beautiful.

There is no room for improvement.

People are not allowed to criticise him

Once more to be clear, my only point is:

As I said, if you disagree with that statement alone please tell me why and I will listen and I am always willing to have my mind changed.  X

Managers are there to get stick though its part of the job, we as fans are there to judge them.

A lot of fans have been fed up due to the way we have been playing prior to the last 2/3 games, even some of the games we have won prior to the last 2 haven't exactly been convincing bar a few (not that they should but its not been plain sailing)

if the majority of the fan base was happy then he wouldn't be getting any stick, so I'd say its deserved? 

I think overall he is doing fairly well and the last 2 results followed by another 2 consistent performances should get the majority back on his side.

I have been critical but think he should be given time now and full backing from the fans, but the criticism is deserved I think.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

I normally agree 100% with anyone of my era  but  am baffled by the comment mickey mouse when the 2  finals were matches between 2 sides of star  names and led to us playing Athlectico Madrid and sides were full strength ones. Whilst I attended and enjoyed  the cup  wins under Martin it was a bit embarrassing  to get so excited over beating Tranmere as opposed to star sides like Stoke and Chelsea

No offence, my friend, but your memory is playing you false. 

Up until the late Sixties - which is when the winners were given a place in the EUFA Cup - it was a tournament that was boycotted by most First Division sides. 

A quick look at the early winners shows that it was won by two Third Division sides (QPR 1967) and Swindon Town (1969). Norwich, then a Second Division side, had won it in 1962. Digging a little further, the two-legged final against Stoke saw an attendance of just 25,372  at Filbert St, in an era when it held 42,000. The attendance at the Victoria Ground was even less at 22,309.

The European games you remember so fondly were in 1962, in which we were entered into the Cup Winners Cup by default because Spurs had won the Double the previous season, beating us in the final.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxaholic ME said:

This is true but how many years of that were in the second tier  and  normally challenging for promotion  which  rightly or wrongly was enjoyed more than  mid   table . It is incredible to me how many said they enjoyed the season in the 3rd tier .

Imo,football  like life,it's enjoying the moments,long short periods of intense moments....

the 3rd tier ,belongs to our part of our history....It hurt when we dropped into it,but brought smiles has we competed at some far-flung stadiums.

our dream we were able to realise...The PL.   

This talk from foxes fans questioning  mid-table mediocracy ...how boring from those arrogant fans,I say!!!

We are not fighting for 18-15th, nor a poor 16-12th,but again we have positive challenge for 12-7th. In a period we are having to rebuild massivelly...

#We have found early on in the process  a more than decent defence..including top performances from a legend,A young fox getting international recognition.A new buy with international honours,2 foreigners giving us hope for the future!!!

#Rfb  position  a major worry,now after half a season, 2 players with great potential,and a 3rd title-legend to cover!!

#An expensive midfield,that didn't realise it's potential, and giving us a real major headache

#Towards the middle of the season,that midfield suddenly from other areas,started to show promise,....

Ndidi doubtfull form being rekindled,a young New star in Maddison,showing he has potential,Mendy with twists in form,still showing he can hold his own.

Fluffy rekindling is 1st team potential...a Puel midfield ,that threw off the yoke of inherited pre-investments that so far has failed dramatically!!!

#In all this Puel,not the fans...had to  give all the Squad every individual a chance to prove themselves,to find out only the minority were fit for purpose.

# Because of long-made contracts  ,agreed by others ,Puel would have no major funds to use to invest in!!!

# Over Puel s tenure,though high performances have been few,more avg...but IMO turgid,is no longer a constant companion..

#Our major striker..struggling with injury, our young hopefully young striker,not yet realising,and finding it difficult to discover his potential!!!

#nobody left in the striker-locker!!!

# Gray our young WB,not really bad form,but a slow process worth sticking to,in seeing he will realise his PL potential,and still does well at England youth level

# Thankfully an underrated Albrighton giving honest strong, not lacking on skill ,performances...

# We will take dips, but we are slowly knitting together.....Puel is not only pulling us through,though not anything explosive he's got us competing between

A good 12th and interesting 7th.

####  Please don't tell me that s boring!!!

#### Don't tell me that the Puel-outers, haven t got on a out campaign too early,and from the beginning,not understood what problems had to be 

Faced,and challenged!!!

## These same..on here .trying to name various  managers that themselves are having problems to start their own revolutions,with higher investments!!!

*** My oddity,my crankyness....Puel like Albrighton is well underrated!!!   The owners knew what had to be done and it would need time and patience..

even without the major family/club bereavement,I believe unless a massive implosion Puel was always going to be here for the long haul....

It takes also not only hope and belief,but understanding with vision....

The media waves of discontent,were built more on fox forums,than anything running withinside the club...!!

12th  7th,showing ambition and flexability,that in the PL-midtable...I am happy with this mediocracy...

And I believe Puel can take us to higher performances,and potential silverware challenges...

I just decided to look at the positives and not the niggling negatives

Edited by fuchsntf

16 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

Tried to keep my opinion back on Puel so far but I feel as though now I have to say something. First of all, I have to admit, I have been torn for a long time on whether he should stay with the club. Whilst the two wins against Chelsea and Man City have been amazing (my voice has only just recovered from the former) do not quite make me believe he is the man to take us forwards in the long term, I can see the direction he has tried to take us. The project that he keeps mentioning is clearly a long-term target which is why I am willing to give him time. 

First things first, following the 5-0 thumping at Palace last season and to an extent, the loss their this season, I was firmly Puel out. The way we have performed against the so-called "lesser" sides recently has not been good enough. That's why this weekend's game against Cardiff is so big for him - get a convincing win against them and it could go a long way in getting fans back onside.

In all though, I have seen enough throughout the last few months to understand what Puel has tried to do and agree with a lot of it. It was clear we needed a different style of play. The counter-attack had been found out as teams were just sitting back and stifling our attack. Therefore, by having more possession, you would create more chances. It does take time to completely change the mentality of a whole squad.

Also, his faith in youth such as Chilwell (whose improvement defensively has been brilliant by the way) and Choudhury has been brilliant to see. Most of his transfers have also made a lot of sense since he's arrived e.g. Ricardo, Soyuncu, Ward etc. 

I also see his point on the "balance" in the squad. It has been hard to find an equilibrium between attack and defence and it has taken some time for him to work out his best team. For the record, I think it's taken far too much time. The squad is also extremely bloated and players do need to leave. He has Tried his best to shift out the dead wood. No wonder there is reported discontent with players not playing. The problem is that who would want to buy those players handed long-term contracts on big wages? It's not exactly easy to shift a player collecting 60k+ per week.

The final aspect is how brilliantly he had handled some extremely difficult situations. Firstly, the Mahrez situation. I mean what club wouldn't struggle having lost their best player? And obviously the accident. He will forever have my utmost respect for how he lead the club through that time.

Yes, I know morality isn't really a reason for someone to keep their job and like I said, I was Puel out and will probably change my mind again at some point throughout the season. After all, it is a results game. A manager is only as good as his last result which lets look, we beat the reigning champions.

There are of course negatives: the chances spurned in the cups, the aforementioned poor run of form, the sometimes negative style of play. Yes,at times, it has been turgid. Which is why it has been so hard to really make a decisions.

What I do know though is whilst Puel is the manager of Leicester City Football Club, he at least deserves our support. We're on track for what we want to achieve. Should we repeat our first half of the season, we will finish on 56 points which was enough to finish 7th last year. That's after being relatively inconsistent.  I don't think it's quite as bad as people make out. Up the Leicester. 

:appl:

27 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Managers are there to get stick though its part of the job, we as fans are there to judge them.

A lot of fans have been fed up due to the way we have been playing prior to the last 2/3 games, even some of the games we have won prior to the last 2 haven't exactly been convincing bar a few (not that they should but its not been plain sailing)

if the majority of the fan base was happy then he wouldn't be getting any stick, so I'd say its deserved? 

I think overall he is doing fairly well and the last 2 results followed by another 2 consistent performances should get the majority back on his side.

I have been critical but think he should be given time now and full backing from the fans, but the criticism is deserved I think.

You raise some good points. The only part of your post I strongly disagree with is the first part. Your definition of a "fan" is wildly different to mine. X 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

Tried to keep my opinion back on Puel so far but I feel as though now I have to say something. First of all, I have to admit, I have been torn for a long time on whether he should stay with the club. Whilst the two wins against Chelsea and Man City have been amazing (my voice has only just recovered from the former) do not quite make me believe he is the man to take us forwards in the long term, I can see the direction he has tried to take us. The project that he keeps mentioning is clearly a long-term target which is why I am willing to give him time. 

First things first, following the 5-0 thumping at Palace last season and to an extent, the loss their this season, I was firmly Puel out. The way we have performed against the so-called "lesser" sides recently has not been good enough. That's why this weekend's game against Cardiff is so big for him - get a convincing win against them and it could go a long way in getting fans back onside.

In all though, I have seen enough throughout the last few months to understand what Puel has tried to do and agree with a lot of it. It was clear we needed a different style of play. The counter-attack had been found out as teams were just sitting back and stifling our attack. Therefore, by having more possession, you would create more chances. It does take time to completely change the mentality of a whole squad.

Also, his faith in youth such as Chilwell (whose improvement defensively has been brilliant by the way) and Choudhury has been brilliant to see. Most of his transfers have also made a lot of sense since he's arrived e.g. Ricardo, Soyuncu, Ward etc. 

I also see his point on the "balance" in the squad. It has been hard to find an equilibrium between attack and defence and it has taken some time for him to work out his best team. For the record, I think it's taken far too much time. The squad is also extremely bloated and players do need to leave. He has Tried his best to shift out the dead wood. No wonder there is reported discontent with players not playing. The problem is that who would want to buy those players handed long-term contracts on big wages? It's not exactly easy to shift a player collecting 60k+ per week.

The final aspect is how brilliantly he had handled some extremely difficult situations. Firstly, the Mahrez situation. I mean what club wouldn't struggle having lost their best player? And obviously the accident. He will forever have my utmost respect for how he lead the club through that time.

Yes, I know morality isn't really a reason for someone to keep their job and like I said, I was Puel out and will probably change my mind again at some point throughout the season. After all, it is a results game. A manager is only as good as his last result which lets look, we beat the reigning champions.

There are of course negatives: the chances spurned in the cups, the aforementioned poor run of form, the sometimes negative style of play. Yes,at times, it has been turgid. Which is why it has been so hard to really make a decisions.

What I do know though is whilst Puel is the manager of Leicester City Football Club, he at least deserves our support. We're on track for what we want to achieve. Should we repeat our first half of the season, we will finish on 56 points which was enough to finish 7th last year. That's after being relatively inconsistent.  I don't think it's quite as bad as people make out. Up the Leicester. 

Excellent post!

I agree. I've been on the fence for most of the time Puel has been here. There's a lot I like, and a lot I don't about the work he's done here.

Seems weird to be undecided after two incredible victories, and sitting in 7th place, but I will not be in the least bit surprised to see us struggle against the weaker sides again soon. If he can just sort that out, I think a lot of people will find it easy to get on board.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2018 at 17:34, FIF said:

I feel a little sorry for posters like Matt and Somebum and l444ry etc... They were wrong, they were a bit nasty, they backed themselves into a corner. Let's give them some slack (and not to hang themselves), it's the time of year when we are supposed to believe in miracles, they could change. They're City supporters who just lost their way. Let's leave them in peace and maybe they'll learn from this episode and be better posters in the future.

... on the contrary. 

These last two games appear to give you the vindication you so crave, but conversely it also vindicates the Puel outers who constantly ask for Puel to play to our strengths. It has taken a change in formation and style to effect a performance that has for some been quite apparent. 

The Cardiff game will be interesting, to see if he reverts to 4-2-3-1, we are sure to find out if this is a genuine change of direction or the fact that Chelsea and Manchester City were tailor made for us! 

• Like 1

I never get the negativity about this guy. Southampton 8th? Sacked ffs.we are and have been top 10 the majority of the season. What are some fans seriously looking for or expecting? 2 brilliant b2b results and we are 7th.that really is top of the remainder behind a genuine top 6. Give the man some slack.fans look at players brought in by a manager. Madison and Ricardo are doing very well. Brought mendy back to life.i like the guy. Judge at end of season.